PDA

View Full Version : Nat Geo California DFG warden show

bigboarstopper
12-02-2010, 9:36 PM
Has anybody watched the new california game warden tv show on the national geographic channel? So far there have been 3 episodes, 2 on the first night and 1 on wednesday.

Its definitely interesting. I have actually seen 2 people I know on it so far. One was a game warden who chased me as a young man then worked with me on a depredation and the other was a hunter (he didnt recieve any citations or commit any crime).

I have mixed emotions about the show. I enjoy watching it and like to watch how the wardens do their job. one of my favorite parts is when they confiscate a "penis of unknown origin" from a chinese herbal medicine shop.

There are a few things that bother me. My one main issue is that it dosent show hunting in a positive light. Of course they show poachers being cought, and thats a good thing. However if your not a hunter or somone who knows about hunting then this tv show can really paint a bad picture. People make stereotypes. I think this show may do more harm than good for the hunter in terms of image. I have noticed some definite exagerations by the wardens and they certainly like to play up to the cameras.

Im especially interested in the upcomming episode where the show is filmed in my home turf. In the highlights I can see the roadsign where my ranch is. Interestingly enough (I hunt with dogs for hogs) they are chasing hog poachers who are using dogs and stabbing the pigs.

I have had plenty of encounters with wardens since I was a kid. From fishing out on the bay to hunting in the field, to working with them on hog depredations. Ive known many wardens over the years on a first name basis. Somtimes for good reasons and sometimes for bad. I have formed my own opinion on wardens. Whats your take on the show?

LloydXmas250
12-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I have mixed feelings as well. I thought it was funny about how so much of the first two episodes took place in my Dad's hometown of Oroville.

The one warden in the first episode bugged me. He starts barking when he heard dogs and presumed that those hunting that bear where the poachers he was after even though they had a tag and didn't leave the carcass like in all the other cases. Plus there was no legal way he can make the guy destroy the gall bladder. He assumed that he would sell it which isn't right. No crime was committed yet he treated them like it was.

It also seems that everyone hunting to them is poaching, they just need to be caught. Anyone shining a light at night was poaching deer with spotlights. Somethigs just really bugged me.

5shot
12-03-2010, 2:08 AM
It's just another law enforcement reality show. Just like "Cops", 90% of the wardens time is probably spent with law abiding citizens (hunters and fishermen), and the other 10% spend with law breakers. Of course that 10% is going to be on the show.

jshoebot
12-03-2010, 4:20 AM
The show pisses me off. It definitely shows guns and hunters in a bad light, as to them on the show, everybody is a poacher. I also didn't like where they went to those two young hispanics guys' camp and hassled all the people, and searched them all, and made it look like these hunters with guns were all gonna try to kill them. They make it seem like everybody they contact who has a gun is a criminal who is going to kill them and then kill bambi with no license/tags, and leave the body in the forest to rot. The show pisses me off, and I was hoping I was going to like :(

LloydXmas250
12-03-2010, 7:43 AM
I think it's a shame because a show like that hand the potential to educate people about hunting. Instead it seems to show the very small part of hunting that's bad and makes it seem that all hunting is that way.

It also seems like it could really put fish and game wardens in a bad light to us hunters (they're all out to get us), while hunters are all trying to break the law (we just haven't been caught yet). Just adds a bit of strain to the already tense relationship.

tacster
12-03-2010, 8:00 AM
how about the game warden running around with bear feet tied to his! he didnt even know if the people he was messing with were hunters or poachers, and he is running around trying to get the dogs on his tracts. i thought that was a little weird to say the least. its funny how much he got off on it.

but its cool to see them in action, i will be watching the next episode

CL&RR
12-03-2010, 8:46 AM
I've seen the show and have mixed feelings as well. I know the wardens are greatly out numbered when they are in the field doing their job. So to treat every situation as if it can turn deadly is probably in their favor.

First of all they cited the two guys that they assumed were spot lighting, did the wardens witness them spot lighting game? No, so if air patrol catches you using your light at night in the NF are you done automatically? I didn't see this warranting a citation, but the fact that those guys had dope on them didn't help their cause.

In the situation where they raided that hunting party, I didn't think they had probable cause, if I was chilling out with my buddies the day before the opener and wardens rolled up and all of a sudden wanted to see all of our firearms, I would ask them on what ground and if they had none I would tell them sorry.

One of the wardens did say on the show that 98 percent of all hunters abide by the laws and they were there to get the 2 percent, but that's why we have the hunting channel for the other 98 percent and this show dedicated to the 2.

rgs1975
12-03-2010, 9:46 AM
There are a few things that bother me. My one main issue is that it dosent show hunting in a positive light. Of course they show poachers being cought, and thats a good thing. However if your not a hunter or somone who knows about hunting then this tv show can really paint a bad picture. People make stereotypes. I think this show may do more harm than good for the hunter in terms of image. I have noticed some definite exagerations by the wardens and they certainly like to play up to the cameras.

It also seems that everyone hunting to them is poaching, they just need to be caught. Anyone shining a light at night was poaching deer with spotlights. Somethigs just really bugged me.

The show pisses me off. It definitely shows guns and hunters in a bad light, as to them on the show, everybody is a poacher. I also didn't like where they went to those two young hispanics guys' camp and hassled all the people, and searched them all, and made it look like these hunters with guns were all gonna try to kill them. They make it seem like everybody they contact who has a gun is a criminal who is going to kill them and then kill bambi with no license/tags, and leave the body in the forest to rot. The show pisses me off

I think it's a shame because a show like that hand the potential to educate people about hunting. Instead it seems to show the very small part of hunting that's bad and makes it seem that all hunting is that way.

It also seems like it could really put fish and game wardens in a bad light to us hunters (they're all out to get us), while hunters are all trying to break the law (we just haven't been caught yet). Just adds a bit of strain to the already tense relationship.

Completely agree. I believe the show had potential but completely failed. All it's going to do is reinforce the already anti-hunting and anti-gun attitudes in this God forsaken state.

tony270
12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I've seen the show and have mixed feelings as well. I know the wardens are greatly out numbered when they are in the field doing their job. So to treat every situation as if it can turn deadly is probably in their favor.

First of all they cited the two guys that they assumed were spot lighting, did the wardens witness them spot lighting game? No, so if air patrol catches you using your light at night in the NF are you done automatically? I didn't see this warranting a citation, but the fact that those guys had dope on them didn't help their cause.

In the situation where they raided that hunting party, I didn't think they had probable cause, if I was chilling out with my buddies the day before the opener and wardens rolled up and all of a sudden wanted to see all of our firearms, I would ask them on what ground and if they had none I would tell them sorry.

One of the wardens did say on the show that 98 percent of all hunters abide by the laws and they were there to get the 2 percent, but that's why we have the hunting channel for the other 98 percent and this show dedicated to the 2.

In general no, but if they were spotlighting in a deer zone that the general deer season was open, and they had a weapon capable of killing a deer, then yes, that’s when it becomes illegal. That’s considered Prima Fascia Evidence of illegally spotlighting deer or other animals at night if the general deer season is open.

When looking at the night hunting regulations you have to take into account California has 2 sections, 1 is for game animals (not legal to hunt at night), and 1 is for non-game animals (legal to hunt at night).

If a game warden thinks you are hunting or fishing he can search anything he thinks you can hide game in, and he can check weapons to see if they are loaded and or legal. If you’re near a vehicle he can search that too.

I never met a Game Warden that didn't treat me suspect, he may have tried to not to. But I always notice that if they are not looking for violations on on the sly, they are blatantly look for them.

What do you think they became a Game Warden for? Not to give tips to hunters, they became one to protect animals and bust hunters.

tpuig
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Mixed reviews so far. I really like and admire the wardens and realize they have a really tough job. I would love to see them nail any poacher, and get rid of the pot growers that pollute and cause damage.

I'm afraid that the show is only going to show the "exciting" interactions with the public. (us). They aren't going to show the dad and son pheasant hunting getting a standard license check, or a fisherman without a problem. It's all going to be for ratings.

That being said, I can already see in the editing that the attitude towards hunters is biased, and that we are all already guilty, just haven't been caught yet. The show I saw last night had repeated images of inside the house, clearly focusing on the NRA sticker in the window. And the narrative stated that "even with all the guns..." blah blah blah. They were on a search for an archery poacher.

In this case, I'm all for the wardens, but I suspect that NatGeo will give us their spin on it. We're only going to see them all geared up on raids, and not the usual pleasant uneventful interaction with the regular folks.

GuyW
12-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Irrespective of what they might try to claim, every warden participating in that show is anti-hunting / anti-hunter.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
It just makes our sport look like a bunch of idiots are participating in it. I had it set to record them but canceled it now on my DVR.

Shoot-it
12-03-2010, 12:13 PM
how about the game warden running around with bear feet tied to his! he didnt even know if the people he was messing with were hunters or poachers, and he is running around trying to get the dogs on his tracts. i thought that was a little weird to say the least. its funny how much he got off on it.

but its cool to see them in action, i will be watching the next episode

Yeah that was dumb tying on bear feet he was just trying to make a show.

Having the gull in the bag didn't make the bear hunter look good but it was still legal to have.It is illegal to sell not own.

I will still watch it to.

SupportGeek
12-03-2010, 4:48 PM
I really like and admire the wardens and realize they have a really tough job. I would love to see them nail any poacher, and get rid of the pot growers that pollute and cause damage.

Agreed!

I'm afraid that the show is only going to show the "exciting" interactions with the public. (us). They aren't going to show the dad and son pheasant hunting getting a standard license check, or a fisherman without a problem. It's all going to be for ratings. [/QUOTE]

Well of course its going to show more exciting interactions, producers dont make a TV show so that it DOESNT garner ratings.
Showing only the standard uneventful interactions will cause people to turn to another channel, then the show fails and money is lost, like everything else in capitalism, you dont start a business with the intent to lose money.

I didnt get the vibe that they were anti hunting/guns at all, the message I read was that the job they were trying to do was simply to enforce the regulations, not only to protect the wildlife but the legal hunters too.

Then again Im not naive enough to think that everyone on the show is all they deal with, the general public....who knows...

97F1504RAD
12-03-2010, 5:42 PM
Mixed feelings here as well. I really do not like how they seem to try and portray all gun owners as evil doers. Especially when they went into that camp with all the guys. They kept carrying on about them having 30 guns all loaded and ready to kill them with. Well yeah nimrods those folks are out in the middle of nowhere and by your own admission there are drug dealer/growers out in the forest and you guys did not want to venture out until daylight due to that, how do you think those hunters feel knowing that as well. Not only that it is perfectly legal to have those loaded firearms and they tried to make it seem as though that was the worst thing ever. Not good at all. Over all the show is not bad but again like most of you have already said here they are trying to send the wrong message.

I will most likely continue to watch but i do not approve of the anti message they have. Also they seem to like trampling of peoples rights and seem to have no issue flaunting their power. I recall them saying many times I can do what i want.

GuyW
12-03-2010, 5:58 PM
I'm going to contact DFG and let them know my displeasure with this. I wonder if they are wasting tax money supporting this junk.

Another member mentioned rights violations - a good subject to discuss with DFG.

As far as I'm concerned, DFG should make participation with this show off-limits to employees.

tpuig
12-03-2010, 6:03 PM
I suspect that DFG gets a bit of funding out of this, and some airtime. The bias I see is not in the DFG, it's in the narrative from Nat Geo. Same as some of their other shows. While the wardens may not make hunters look great in their limited exposure, they aren't really any different than other law enforcement in the contacts viewed on the show.

Going into a house of a known, probably armed, felon isn't something that will come across as being gentle...

I'm going to contact DFG and let them know my displeasure with this. I wonder if they are wasting tax money supporting this junk.

Another member mentioned rights violations - a good subject to discuss with DFG.

As far as I'm concerned, DFG should make participation with this show off-limits to employees.

taperxz
12-03-2010, 6:16 PM
I have not seen this yet but from the responses is sounds like a "cops" show.

This is fine with me as long as DF&G makes a couple thing clear. They should let the general public know that 99% of hunters are not like this, most of these guys breaking the law have a history of this whether they have been caught or not and the funding the wardens get for enforcement comes directly from the good hunters out there that buy a license, tags, stamps and pay taxes on the goods they use to hunt!! If they make this clear they can show all the crap they want when busting bad guys that make us look even worse to the general public. JMO

Shoot-it
12-03-2010, 8:20 PM
The one line the warden say's when he walks up to the teenagers getting high do you have a 215 card you know it's California LOL.:D

That girl had all that bud with her Wow and all he does is take it no citation or arrest.:eek:

I want to see robot deer on the side of the road getting shot and poachers getting busted.Not wardens acting like local leo.Call the city cop next time. Than again they need to make a show and they need scene's for the episodes.

ar15robert
12-03-2010, 9:32 PM
i thought the one guy who got the suspected growers on the lake was a total deek.guy has an attitude problem big time.

seems like they like their power trips of authority just like the local ones when i go lobster diving,You are treated like a criminal til all is perfect.I had one lobster where my guage showed legal and didnt drop so did the wardens when he checked it what did he do?he di another try and pushed it hard broke the lobster carapace to make guage drop thentells me this one is close but he will give it to me anyways.I had a couple buddies around who got none and they said after are they all that bad made them decide not to deal with fishing anymore.I simply told my buddies if he was that confident he would have cited me and he didnt cause he had no case and wanted to prove he is the authority.LOL

TrailerparkTrash
12-04-2010, 12:45 AM
The third episode showed a sticker of the NRA as they were going into a poachers house at night. That pissed me off! That gives the NRA a bad name. The NRA DOES NOT support poaching!

Second, being LEO myself, I thought the Warden's officer safety is SERIOUSLY LACKING!!!! Because this thread is NOT a secure site (i.e. bad guys are probably reading this too), I WILL NOT discuss the horrible tactics several Wardens used. I will say that they were so horrible, I'm considering contacting those Wardens personally! Members in my training unit on my department have commented on the same feelings I have. In fact, one trainer wants to use part of the show to teach cops, "what NOT to do."
(This is NOT cop bashing, since I am a cop. It's critiquing without going into specific details for security reasons).

Third, someone mentioned about the spot lighting. Someone said something to the fact that the Wardens on the ground didn't see the suspects spot light. Well, the "airborne Wardens" sure did. Perfectly legal for an airborne LEO to direct ground units to a suspect to effect an arrest (cite in this case, which is really a misdemeanor field cite-out). <----LEGAL!

Fourth, I think some of the Wardens are showing too many "anti-poaching" techniques used to actually catch the dirt bags. Dumb dumb dumb....

Fifth, Yeah, what's up with the howling by the Warden????? Embarrassing!!!!!

Just my opinon to the OP's question.

spectr17
12-04-2010, 1:30 AM
It's Hollywood, what did you expect? Write the show's producers, they are the ones who make the decisions on what hits the floor in the editing room. Today I had another media assistant call me about a piece on varmint hunting in central CA. I try and steer the media to folks that will represent us in a good light and walk the walk but many times that's not what sells advertising. They don't write the shows to appeal to the 10% of the population that hunts, they write them to hook Joe Public.

jshoebot
12-04-2010, 4:22 AM
This show and Border Wars really shows me Nat Geo's anti-gun bias. Even "Alaska State Troopers" came off as covertly anti-gun.

I remember an episode of Border Wars where they were in texas with a BP Agent looking across the Rio Grande. The BP Agent said something like "The cartels have a lot of guns." And the show's announcer comes in with: "The cartels across the river have recently come into possession of a 25 millimeter machine gun, smuggled to them through the US/Mexico border." My reaction to that statement was a loud statement of "WHAT THE F*CK?" A 25mm machine gun? That's my first beef. Smuggled to the cartels through the US/Mexico border? Second beef. Come on NatGeo; if you're going to be anti-gun, at least make it believable. :rolleyes:

97F1504RAD
12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I suspect that DFG gets a bit of funding out of this, and some airtime. The bias I see is not in the DFG, it's in the narrative from Nat Geo. Same as some of their other shows. While the wardens may not make hunters look great in their limited exposure, they aren't really any different than other law enforcement in the contacts viewed on the show.

Going into a house of a known, probably armed, felon isn't something that will come across as being gentle...

DFG has a responsibility to make sure that the editing is not done in a bad light that portrays them in the manner in which they are being portrayed.

heypal
12-04-2010, 1:36 PM
Responsibility for any anti-gun bias in this show, unless stated on camera by a warden, lies entirely with National Geographic and the editors/producers of this show. They are the ones who assemble the show and produce the "story" showcasing the dangers of firearms. The wardens themselves are not media savvy and are clearly being 'produced' (given suggestions that the field producers believe will make better stories).

DFG is a unique law enforcement agency, and are the only agency in the state that publicly supports gun ownership by the general public. Many wardens teach firearms and hunting courses.

I support them, believe in the work they do, and hope the show begins to show hunters and gun owners in a light that is more truthful, and less sensational.

ETA: DFG will never have approval over the final cut of the show. They can assert the fact that their continued participation in and support of the show requires a change in tone, though.

Baxter
12-04-2010, 4:54 PM
The show is doing its job. We are talking about it and writing about online. Entertaining and possibly biased, but what isn't.
Don't like it change the channel. As far as officer safety, bear boy seems like he has a death wish running into the darkness after a "grow" suspect by himself. Always thought hotdogs didn't make it past the oral boards. I liked it, kept me occupied for an hour.

CavTrooper
12-04-2010, 4:59 PM
Show gives good insight into the mentality of the DFG wardens. I now understand that I cannot expect fairness, respect, assistance or sympathy from the wardens. I can expect them to view me as a threat and work to secure a reason to detain or arrest me, possibly to the point of breaking the rules. To put it simply, This show has led me to believe that DFG wardens are not your friends, perpetuating the "US vs THEM" mentality... good work, DFG.

rgs1975
12-04-2010, 6:25 PM
I think I'm going to write a letter stating that it's my opinion that the show is casting a negative light upon both hunters and lawful firearm owners and suggest they discontinue participating. Hopefully DFG didn't intend for this to happen, will realize the problem and call it quits in Hollywood.

Who should I send it to? Does DFG have regional management as well as it's main bosses?

TrailerparkTrash
12-04-2010, 9:27 PM
I think I'm going to write a letter stating that it's my opinion that the show is casting a negative light upon both hunters and lawful firearm owners and suggest they discontinue participating. Hopefully DFG didn't intend for this to happen, will realize the problem and call it quits in Hollywood.

Who should I send it to? Does DFG have regional management as well as it's main bosses?

Send it straight to the DFG Commissioner up in Sacramento. Google him/her and the address. Google is your friend.

VaderSpade
12-04-2010, 10:39 PM
"Google is your friend."

Bing Bing Bing

My son works for Microsoft, every time I say Google I get an ear full.

Try Bing for Kenny. :)

lewdogg21
12-05-2010, 7:24 AM
I've watched about 3 episodes now and honestly I don't have the huge issues others are having. As far as the spotlighters and the checking of the camp, I have no problem with that. Members of that party were engaged in illegal activity and so for me that's probable cause for the wardens to assume the others in their party could also be engaged in illegal activities.

Sure "hunters" (it's actually the law breakers, just like people who rob others off craigslist vs. those who use CL daily and never cause problems) look like dip****s but that's b/c they won't waste an hour on the average day of checking licenses, etc. where everyone is in compliance. What I'm taking away from this is that I had no idea of all the other stuff they dealt with. I guess I assumed wrongly they spent their days solely on F&G and never did any actual law enforcement outside of that.

As far as the wardens being anti-hunting,... I believe one of them mentioned in either the first or 2nd episode that he hunts. I didn't get the all anti-hunting/guns feeling. Rather I felt their anxiety and fear of approaching people who are either suspected of breaking the law or have been witnessed as doing such and they all have guns!

Finally I believe I've met at least one of the wardens on the show and possibly two from the post season jr. duck hunts that I've helped with. At both times the two Wardens were very courteous, professional, and also friendly while they answered any questions from kids/adults and then led a discussion on hunting and such for everyone. Of course I did make sure the kid I took out wasn't over the limit but honestly that's not hard since the kids can't shoot that great but they still had a great time. :)

VaderSpade
12-05-2010, 10:42 AM
post season jr. duck hunts

Now that would be a great thing to show. Just a few minutes between taking down bad guys.

Balance.

pieeater
12-05-2010, 6:28 PM
lol I know of a guy that got frustrated with his kids missing during the post season jr hunt and started shooting the ducks himself and actualy got cited for it.

post season jr. duck hunts

Now that would be a great thing to show. Just a few minutes between taking down bad guys.

Balance.

Eastwood
12-05-2010, 10:35 PM
The third episode showed a sticker of the NRA as they were going into a poachers house at night. That pissed me off! That gives the NRA a bad name. The NRA DOES NOT support poaching!

This really ticked me off also. I noticed how the camera man was focusing in on the NRA sticker that was posted on poachers window. Just another way to brainwash the public into thinking that all NRA members are bad sportsmen.

lewdogg21
12-15-2010, 6:45 PM
So I'm watching the episode about Poaching and meth right now and they just stopped the guy and 18 year old girl in the Oroville WA and you know I just kept thinking about what a S-hole Oroville, Palermo, etc. are. I went to Chico State and my buddies and I used to fish the Low flow section of the Feather river and I saw some shady **** and boys straight out of Deliverance.

If you live in Oroville and are normal I'm sorry but I bet you know what I mean.

ar15robert
12-15-2010, 7:46 PM
watching right now and they stopped a couple guys in a truck the dick warden said that a loaded magazine is considered a loaded gun since its part of a gun wheter its in the gun or out of the gun.??

wonder if thats a fish and game code. i thought it was legal(more like it is legal)

GlockBlocker
12-15-2010, 8:00 PM
oh great, they have their own rules? you're saying the gun had a detachable mag and the mag was outside of the gun? geesh.

Dr Rockso
12-15-2010, 8:11 PM
watching right now and they stopped a couple guys in a truck the dick warden said that a loaded magazine is considered a loaded gun since its part of a gun wheter its in the gun or out of the gun.??

wonder if thats a fish and game code. i thought it was legal(more like it is legal)

Seriously? Did they give the guys a citation for anything?

Fish and Game Code 2006 (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/fishgame/fg2006.htm):
It is unlawful to possess a loaded rifle or shotgun in any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments which is standing on or along or is being driven on or along any public highway or other way open to the public.

A rifle or shotgun shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to peace officers or members of the armed forces of this State or the United States, while on duty or going to or returning from duty.

Fish and game code is LESS restrictive than state law.

I've not watched the show but I know one of the wardens who's in it (young skinny guy). From a brief conversation he seemed to know his stuff re: Cali gun laws, but I've heard a lot of DFG FUD out there.

antonio
12-15-2010, 8:29 PM
I do not see a problem with the show ... just my opinion

ar15robert
12-15-2010, 8:58 PM
Seriously? Did they give the guys a citation for anything?

Fish and game code is LESS restrictive than state law.

I've not watched the show but I know one of the wardens who's in it (young skinny guy). From a brief conversation he seemed to know his stuff re: Cali gun laws, but I've heard a lot of DFG FUD out there.

It was the young skinny guy (beals?)They cited the guys for weed,and loaded gun.

Nor-Cal
12-15-2010, 11:09 PM
I didn't see or had a problem with the show until today, I'm very disturbed about that young warden spreading Fud for saying what he said in reguards to the mag being loaded near the gun consists of the gun being actually loaded even if the loaded mag is not in the well!

NSR500
12-15-2010, 11:14 PM
It's an okay show and goes to show that LEO don't know 100% of the laws. The gun/magazine thing was really off.

lewdogg21
12-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I didn't see or had a problem with the show until today, I'm very disturbed about that young warden spreading Fud for saying what he said in reguards to the mag being loaded near the gun consists of the gun being actually loaded even if the loaded mag is not in the well!

Yeah I didn't realize they were cited b/c of the loaded mag (partly b/c I had a labrador puppy party going on in my living room during the episode). Yikes! Maybe they got a lil extra b/c the guy was ratted out as a poacher.

I did really question the statement he made about using that 22 Pac lite or whatever it was to poach does. Maybe at the petting zoo where you can put it up to their ear.

cmogi10
12-16-2010, 11:29 AM
really NOT a fan of this show. Hound guys have it hard enough, we don't need a show on national geographic that portrays us all as criminals. Made me cringe a bit.

LloydXmas250
12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
So I'm watching the episode about Poaching and meth right now and they just stopped the guy and 18 year old girl in the Oroville WA and you know I just kept thinking about what a S-hole Oroville, Palermo, etc. are. I went to Chico State and my buddies and I used to fish the Low flow section of the Feather river and I saw some shady **** and boys straight out of Deliverance.

If you live in Oroville and are normal I'm sorry but I bet you know what I mean.

My family grew up in Oroville and many still live there. It is definitely true about many of its people being shady but the ones who stayed in school and become active in sports and the community, like my family, all turn out to be great people. Shame that there are those others giving the city and area a bad name.

robobear
12-16-2010, 1:43 PM
When the show aired [I] was hopeing for something like the movie Wildlife Wars. A movie about a real warden that was very good. This series is Hollywood. Anti gun, fishing and hunting. It makes us look like a bunch of criminal dopers. Seems like most of the busts have drugs that are combined with firearms used in illegal activities. I was greatly unhappy with the shows direction. But I still watched them.

emc002
12-16-2010, 1:51 PM

I already sent them a letter. Man that show and the overly enthusiastic asshat agents really piss me off.

LloydXmas250
12-16-2010, 2:51 PM
I've talked with a DFG ranger who himself hates the show. He's pro-hunting and fishing and thinks it's trash and gives him a bad name.

ar15robert
12-16-2010, 3:39 PM
Even when they make a stop and they find everone in compliance they seem to want to build the drama by adding something to make the sportsman look bad in a way.

lewdogg21
12-16-2010, 6:07 PM
My family grew up in Oroville and many still live there. It is definitely true about many of its people being shady but the ones who stayed in school and become active in sports and the community, like my family, all turn out to be great people. Shame that there are those others giving the city and area a bad name.

Yup. I was born in Paradise too. I remember some straight hill billy types in the low flow section wearing overalls and all I remember was the water was freaking cold.

scootergmc
12-16-2010, 7:06 PM
For years, DFG has felt they have been grossly underpaid as opposed to other state agencies (primarily CHP). Now they have their own show and they need to show how dangerous their job is and how much contact they have with the underlings of society. Thom Beers was willing to give them a platform. Smart for them.

At least that's my conspiracy theory.

SupportGeek
12-16-2010, 8:36 PM
Even when they make a stop and they find everone in compliance they seem to want to build the drama by adding something to make the sportsman look bad in a way.

I havnt seen anything like what you claim, and I have only missed one episode.
I see a problem in that they dont show enough legal hunter stops, but its the first season, and they need to set the hook by showing all the BG out there, walking up to a father and son out hunting and having a check go smoothly isnt going to do the show any favors.

ar15robert
12-16-2010, 8:41 PM
I havnt seen anything like what you claim, and I have only missed one episode.
I see a problem in that they dont show enough legal hunter stops, but its the first season, and they need to set the hook by showing all the BG out there, walking up to a father and son out hunting and having a check go smoothly isnt going to do the show any favors.

lets see the one with the legally taken bear they tried to brand him right away,the guys fishing it last nights episode they tried to get them about the trash they even had 4-5 wardens approach them.

yes positive contacts dont do any good for the show but in turn makes the honest guys look bad too and this is what people see on tv.

so far they make it sounds like anyone who kills a deer or fish is a meth head.

SupportGeek
12-16-2010, 9:29 PM
lets see the one with the legally taken bear they tried to brand him right away,the guys fishing it last nights episode they tried to get them about the trash they even had 4-5 wardens approach them.

I missed the Bear Ep, so I cannot comment.
With the guys fishing, they asked if it was theirs, a few times, (this is standard training for LE, they want to see you stumble when asked a couple diffrent ways) then asked to look in their stuff, they could have refused but didnt, I didnt see any big deal there (It was 3 rangers).

yes positive contacts dont do any good for the show but in turn makes the honest guys look bad too and this is what people see on tv.

I dont get that vibe at all about honest people looking bad, I know what I'm seeing on the show is not representative of hunters as a whole, just like I know that the drivers I see on COPS or Hot Pursuit aren't representative of a majority of drivers on the roads either. Maybe Im not a good token of the general public because I think a little more analytically? I don't know, I suppose average Joe isnt going to question what they watch, then again average Joe is more likely to watch Survivor garbage than this show anyhow. (Same time slot iirc)

The Poachers all seem to be meth heads for sure. lol :yes:

GuyW
12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
then asked to look in their stuff, they could have refused...

Um, IIRC in F&G law/regs - no you can't refuse (dunno why that's purportedly Constitutional, tho)...

Eastwood
12-17-2010, 12:15 AM
For years, DFG has felt they have been grossly underpaid as opposed to other state agencies (primarily CHP). Now they have their own show and they need to show how dangerous their job is and how much contact they have with the underlings of society. Thom Beers was willing to give them a platform. Smart for them.

At least that's my conspiracy theory.

hahaha I love it!..... Dangerious life stories of the fish police..... Go catch a real bad guy

Flux Capacitor
12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I know the DFG really wants to catch anyone for any violation. They actually lied to me and my buddy so they could search us. I would never consent to a search again knowing what I know now. They need to catch real criminals.

tpuig
12-17-2010, 10:38 AM
There are a couple good books by Terry Hodges about CA Game Wardens. Good reading. I picked them up over the years at the International Sportsman's Expo in San Mateo. He was nice enough to sign them all. I wish he could write two books a year...
http://www.gamewarden.net/

These give a pretty good overall tale of the cat and mouse games played by poachers. But it's written so that not all hunters are bad guys. I wish the NatGeo show was done in this style.

dirtydrew
12-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I know the DFG really wants to catch anyone for any violation. They actually lied to me and my buddy so they could search us. I would never consent to a search again knowing what I know now. They need to catch real criminals.

Unfortunately, I think according to DFG code you cannot refuse a search of your harvested fish, game, or equipment... And it's not illegal for LE to lie to persons of interest, BUT it's also not illegal for you to LIE to LE (except the feds)

Flux Capacitor
12-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately, I think according to DFG code you cannot refuse a search of your harvested fish, game, or equipment... And it's not illegal for LE to lie to persons of interest, BUT it's also not illegal for you to LIE to LE (except the feds)

Can you cite that?

Spyder
12-17-2010, 10:36 PM
hahaha I love it!..... Dangerious life stories of the fish police..... Go catch a real bad guy

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/16/pa-killing-highlights-dangers-facing-game-wardens/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40285556/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-242209.html

Yea. Definitely no "real" criminals in the woods. :rolleyes:

TrailerparkTrash
12-18-2010, 12:03 AM
And it's not illegal for LE to lie to persons of interest,
EXACTLY! :D:D

...BUT it's also not illegal for you to LIE to LE (except the feds)
Yup, but if you lie and get caught, you're probably going to jail. So bring it! :43::43::43:

CavTrooper
12-18-2010, 6:40 AM
EXACTLY! :D:D

Yup, but if you lie and get caught, you're probably going to jail. So bring it! :43::43::43:

This is why CA cops are cool.

Bring that attitude outside of the state of California and youd be suprised where it will get you.

Sued and kicked off the force if youre lucky.

The back of a milk carton of your not.

Take a cue from the rest of American LEOs and try some RESPECT.

spectr17
12-18-2010, 1:31 PM
Can you cite that?

DFG code

2012. All licenses, tags, and the birds, mammals, fish, reptiles,
or amphibians taken or otherwise dealt with under this code, and any
device or apparatus designed to be, and capable of being, used to
take birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, or amphibians shall be exhibited
upon demand to any person authorized by the department to enforce
this code or any law relating to the protection and conservation of
birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, or amphibians.

We have a discussion about this issue and how to refuse a search on our forum with a former warden explaining their search powers.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/leos-fire-corrections-game-wardens/211533-really-uncomfortable.html

lewdogg21
12-18-2010, 3:10 PM

My only point of disagreement is the bear people when asked about the gall bladder suddenly came up with 19 different answers and acted very evasively.

It gave me the impression they were going to sell it. But yeah only meth heads shoot deer, at least according to the show. Maybe they account for all of the 10% success in D3-5 lol.

TrailerparkTrash
12-18-2010, 3:56 PM
My only point of disagreement is the bear people when asked about the gall bladder suddenly came up with 19 different answers and acted very evasively.

It gave me the impression they were going to sell it.
Well yes, those bear "hunters" on the show were going to do exactly that! Sell the gall bladder.

Personally, I think that if a legal hunter harvests a deer/pig/bear LEGALLY (ie. within the season and fills out his/her tags) I don't have a problem with selling one gall bladder per year. I also recognize that the law doesn't allow it, so I personally follow that law.

But, as many here have noticed, those bear hunters were extremely evasive and they deserved to be detained in order for the Warden to investigate further if a crime has been comitted.

I read with some slight shock here that so many people claim to be "pro Warden" but they tell people, "don't say a damn word to them." Why??? if you're not doing anything illegal, why not tell the truth with a Warden?

"Hell yes Mr. Warden, I'm hunting! Can you tell me where some "hot" spots are?" Every Warden I've met has always been 100% professional and courteous with me. They wanna take 5 minutes to look in my vehicle and or cooler for game/fish, I have no problems whatsoever.

One poster here mentions that a "former Warden" suggests others on another website on basically ways or ideas on how to be "evasive" or just confrontational. I don't understand why.

ANYBODY that starts off with, "You can't search my stuff ....etc..." is gonna get a red flag alert from ANY LEO. Period. I say, if you don't want a cop (Warden, Officer, Deputy etc...) to do his/her job, then just stay inside your house and forget about going hunting.

Honestly, in my 32 years of legally hunting/fishing, I've never seen more people that really admit that they are anti-game warden for some reason. Personally, I've voiced opinion that I think the Warden's Officer's safety is horrible, but that's a different topic for a different thread.

Peace out. :cool:

GuyW
12-18-2010, 4:28 PM
ANYBODY that starts off with, "You can't search my stuff ....etc..." is gonna get a red flag alert from ANY LEO. Period. I say, if you don't want a cop (Warden, Officer, Deputy etc...) to do his/her job, then just stay inside your house and forget about going hunting.

Nice.

Here's an alternative view:

If the cop doesn't want to operate within the law and Constitution when they have no legal authority to search - then just stay inside your house and forget about having a government job.

TrailerparkTrash
12-18-2010, 6:14 PM
Nice.

Here's an alternative view:

If the cop doesn't want to operate within the law and Constitution when they have no legal authority to search - then just stay inside your house and forget about having a government job.

Okay, let's look at your comment. You're turning this around on LE. A cop merely asking to search you or your vehicle is NOT a violation the Constitution. Show me where it is a violation for LE to ask to search. Show me the case law where a LEO can't ask permission.

On this thread, it's evolved with the HUNTER comming out right away getting defensive by stating, "dont' say anything to a Warden." Or. "Don't ever admit to hunting..." , "...don't consent to a search of anything!...." etc..... Why?

Only crooks act this way. Poachers act in the above aforementioned way. We're not talking about a cop (warden) knocking on your door at 0230hrs in the morning demanding to just "search" your house, "just because." We're talking about a Warden comming across a guy in the forest wearing camo, carrying a rifle on opening day of deer/bear/elk season for example. Why would any honest hunter have a problem with a Warden checking or even simply "asking" to search or take a peek inside a guys vehicle for his/her own safety? Or to look for legitimate hunting violators???

Don't get me wrong, I personally hate many Federal and State laws (anti-gun laws for one thing), but simply checking hunters out there in the field is no big deal if YOU ARE HONESTLY HUNTING.

I'm trying to keep my examples on topic, specifically related to the Wardens here in CA and the subject matter that has evolved here as a result of the NatGeo show.

TrailerparkTrash
12-18-2010, 6:27 PM
Every crime witness who doesn't have a CCW (and can't get one) needs to tell the cops and prosecutors to "go to hell, I won't testify".

Tell the judges you won't testify and tell them why.

If enough people did this, the system *might* take notice and rethink its unConstitutional, un-American victim disarmament policies.
By the way, your signature gears your anger toward the wrong people. Cops and Prosecutors don't make the laws. Your liberal nieghbors, co-workers, family and friends vote the anti's into office. Those Legislators make the laws.

You need to direct your anger toward our elected officials and not the cops/prosecutors. Politicians create all of the laws for DISARMAMENT POLICIES (to coin your phrase).

I'm guessing by your posts and signature line that your pretty much don't like the po-po???? :eek:

Spyder
12-18-2010, 9:27 PM
DFG code

We have a discussion about this issue and how to refuse a search on our forum with a former warden explaining their search powers.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/leos-fire-corrections-game-wardens/211533-really-uncomfortable.html

The former warden on that thread is wrong about the loaded gun thing. Read post #22. He/she states that the loaded magazine which is not in the firearm constitutes a loaded gun.

GuyW
12-18-2010, 9:35 PM
By the way, your signature gears your anger toward the wrong people. Cops and Prosecutors don't make the laws. Your liberal nieghbors, co-workers, family and friends vote the anti's into office. Those Legislators make the laws.

You need to direct your anger toward our elected officials and not the cops/prosecutors. Politicians create all of the laws for DISARMAMENT POLICIES (to coin your phrase).

I'm guessing by your posts and signature line that your pretty much don't like the po-po???? :eek:

No - read my sig line again, and focus this time on the word "system"....I not only don't trust any government, I KNOW it is out to do me evil...

BTW, my ALLEGIANCE is to the Constitution (as originally written), NOT the US government, NOT the State of California, NOT the County of San Diego etc ad infinitum nor their agents.

And for your questions about people talking (or not) to government agents, there is a great video on youtube of a law professor and a cop (2 different people) telling at great length why an individual should always clam up - "its (effectively) the LAW"...

TrailerparkTrash
12-18-2010, 9:43 PM
I not only don't trust any government, I know it is out to do me evil....
Well on that issue, I'd have to agree with you. It's like Reagan said when he mocked the Feds...... "....I'm from the government and I'm here to help." ;)

dirtydrew
12-19-2010, 3:24 PM
DFG code

Thank you.
And also,

License Provisions
A California hunting license is required for taking any bird or mammal. Hunters must carry licenses and be prepared to show them on request (Section 700, Title 14, CCR). Guns and other equipment used in hunting must be shown on request