View Full Version : How do I fix a double feed problem?

12-02-2010, 2:57 PM
Hey guys
I bought a smith & wesson 22lr (22a) off a guy on here. He said it had been fired a lot but had no problems, and that he had just replaced the spring.
I bought some Remington 22 ammo and took it out today for the first time.
I couldn't get through more than 4 rounds without it double feeding rounds. I got some Clp and lubes it up real well, this did not help at all. Does anyone know how big a deal this is and or how to fix it? I talked to the previous owner and he said he never had the problem so I guess i'll try new rounds.

12-02-2010, 3:32 PM
Would that be Remington Golden Bullets? I'd try another brand of ammo and see if the problem follows.

12-02-2010, 3:38 PM
winchester 22LR 1280FPS 36gr. plated HP's. it doesn't say "golden" but who knows, i'll try another type. 2 of the mags were brand new, and I just read on another site to try leaving them loaded for a couple days to see if it softens the springs a bit.

12-02-2010, 6:02 PM
If the bullet has a gold colored plating, you have Remington Golden .22s, which many guns don't like. They also seem to have a lot of dud primers. I would recommend trying the Federal bulk ammo at Walmart. Feeds fine in all my .22s. Also, the only thing that will soften up mag springs is compression and decompression, leaving them loaded under pressure won't help or hurt.

12-02-2010, 6:21 PM
Federal Bulk 550, 325, Win 333 and Federal Automatch all shoot, cycle and eject without problems in my S&W 22A. Have never tried Rem GBs so can't comment on those.

My first thought when reading your post was that its a magazine problem. The mag would have to be pushing the rounds up too hard in order to try to load two. When the other owner replaced the spring I assume we are talking about the recoil spring. It it is the wrong spring perhaps that could be the problem.

I would also field strip the gun and check the slide and receiver to see if there is excessive wear or burrs. It has to be a problem with the action or the mags. I really don't see how it could be the ammo but maybe.

These pistols have a lifetime warranty with S&W but I don't know if that applies to a second owner. If you don't solve the problem on your own I suggest you give S&W a call and see what they can do. A bummer I know but at least you may end up with a working firearm.