PDA

View Full Version : Where on my hard drive is this stored?

The Custard Pirate
12-02-2010, 11:05 AM
When filling out forms on line, my name and address appear after I type a few letters. Lately my credit card number has begun appearing as well. Since I am uncomfortable with having it on my hard drive I would like to know how to delete it. Does anyone know the file name and directory this info is stored?

BigFatGuy
12-02-2010, 11:26 AM
typically, there are three places to look, depending on your browser, these will all be in some kind of "options" or "preferences" menu.

Clear all cookies

clear your cache

look for an option that has a name like "auto-complete" or "form completion" or "fill out my forms for me", turn it off.

But, keep in mind, even if it's not stored on your hard drive, it's being stored on at least one hard drive somewhere else in the universe (the vendor, the vendor's web service provider, the vendor's credit card processor, etc...). having the data on your own machine isn't likely to be a huge security risk unless it's a laptop that you carry out into the world.

if that's the case, I suggest you look into the latest version of LoJack For Laptops. The latest edition gives you the option to wipe your computer remotely in case its stolen.

Boltz
12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
If you are using Firefox, under the privacy settings in the options, there is a checkbox for it to remember your form and search history that you can unselect. I'm sure the other browsers have something similar.

ke6guj
12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
sounds like you are talking about "auto-complete" inside of internet explorer. If so, you can delete any info that pops up lie that by highlighting the info in the dropdown box and hitting delete.

Or, you can purge all the info by following the folloing instructions, http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/article/how-to-clear-autocomplete-history

The Custard Pirate
12-02-2010, 1:50 PM
If you are using Firefox, under the privacy settings in the options, there is a checkbox for it to remember your form and search history that you can unselect. I'm sure the other browsers have something similar.

Yes, I'm using Firefox; found it under Tools, Options , Privacy, box labeled

Remember Search and Form History. Thanks for the help.