View Full Version : Wireless Network Problems

12-01-2010, 7:48 PM
OK gentlemen, here is my problem. I am a computer moron, so I will try to explain it as best as possible. I just switched from Verizon to DSL Extreme. I previously had a wireless network that was just fine. Today, when I came home, the "modem" light on my Belkin N Wireless router was flashing. No wireless network connection...

I connected the DSL modem directly to my desktop and everything works fine. However, I cannot get the wireless to work. DSL Extreme is a Dynamic IP/PPPoE, if that matters. Hell, I don't even know what that means. I don't think my Verizon was the same, as I never had to login with a name and password.

I have tried the unplug, wait, and plug everything back in method with no avail. Any ideas?

12-01-2010, 8:00 PM
Alright, let's try to isolate the problem.

Has it ever worked with DSLExtreme?

It not, you might need to change the PPPoE login info (username and password) on your router.

If it worked before, the next step is to try to plug in your desktop to your router using a network cable and see if you get the Internet connection then.

If it works, then your problem is with the wireless settings either on the router, or on your desktop. If it doesn't work, then we can trobuleshoot further.

12-01-2010, 8:09 PM
No. It has not worked with DSL Extreme. More background...I received the modem in the mail today. Today was also the beginning of service for DSL Extreme. So, without doing anything, and while my Verizon modem was still hooked up, the wireless router started flashing.

So, you said I should plug the router into my desktop with a network cable...please explain, or send me to a website that will explain it for me. Thank you.

12-01-2010, 9:16 PM
OK...Nick is a loser and couldn't help me at all. Only kidding. I figured that trying to fix this thing over forum posts was silly. I called Belkin technical support and after an hour, fixed my problem.

Apparently my router needed to be reset and changed to PPPoe, or something like that. All I know is that "Hudson," my presumably Indian assistant, was surprisingly helpful. I was amazed. Pretty happy right now, except for the fact that I didn't finish a ton of reading for seminary that I needed to get done, and I have to get up at 4 am. Awesome!

Thanks for the help, Nick.