PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying a Shiloh Sharps rifle but...

chris
07-05-2006, 11:35 PM
i have been thinking of ordering a Shiloh Sharps rifle. since it has so much history behind it and is a single shot.

but my question here is this. this rifle takes so long to get made something like about 16 17 months before its done. how do we in this F&^*ed up state do we obtain it?

do i have to wait for the rifle to be finished and get an FFL to accept it and wait another 10 frickin days or what?

something i was thinking about doing.

MisterDudeManGuy
07-06-2006, 5:55 AM
i have been thinking of ordering a Shiloh Sharps rifle. since it has so much history behind it and is a single shot.

but my question here is this. this rifle takes so long to get made something like about 16 17 months before its done. how do we in this F&^*ed up state do we obtain it?

do i have to wait for the rifle to be finished and get an FFL to accept it and wait another 10 frickin days or what?

Since it has to ship to an FFL out here, I'd ask the FFL you are thinking about using. I am sure they deal with that all the time. I have an acquaintence that shoots a Sharps at Burro Canyon that I can ask if I see him this weekend. He went through the same exact thing from what he's told me.

Sweet rifle. I had it in my head to do that too, but ended up in service rifle.

tankerman
07-06-2006, 6:15 AM
If you don't want to wait look for one somewhere else there are plenty of them for sale on line, some gun shops also stock them, you might even save a few bucks getting a perfectlly good used one. A while back I saw a couple in stock at Fowlers gunroom in orange.

xenophobe
07-06-2006, 8:48 AM
Used minty Shilo sharps usually sell for almost the price of a new one. New ones in stock will sell for more than retail... If you're willing to wait a couple years, you'll get the best bang for your buck.

bwiese
07-06-2006, 8:49 AM
Aren't there some Uberti or other Italian Sharps clones that are fairly good quality?

Perhaps look into those.

xenophobe
07-06-2006, 8:57 AM
There are the Pedersolis... those are pretty nice, and between $1000-$1500 if I recall correctly. Used Shilos often go for double that... Or you could get a C Sharps for a bit less than the Shilo.

chris
07-06-2006, 9:02 AM
thank you for the info xenophobe. i have thought of getting the quigly rifle. yeah i saw the movie and that rifle is awsome. i would rather pay and wait the year and a half. hell if i can do a tour in iraq for a year waiting for a rifle like that it will be a piece of cake. thank you guys for all the info.

i have thought of looking in gun shops and the gun shows when i get home. my options are open. but if the price of a used one is the same as a new one
i'll take the new one.

Hunter
07-06-2006, 11:04 AM

Chris,
You can order directly from Shiloh and get your name into the waiting que for $50 or there abouts. Then you sit back and wait for them to contact you. When they are about 6 months out from building the rifle, they contact you as they will want the gun paid in full prior to building. Once they have finished the rifle, they will then contact you to have you send them the receiving dealer's information if you haven't already done so. You do not need to have a FFL dealer lined up initially to get in line, or even pay for the gun and have it built. But you will need one to have it shipped once it is done.

xenophobe
07-06-2006, 3:57 PM
^ agreed. That's the only way you'll get those prices listed on his site.

There's some dealer that is near the Shilo shop, and he orders a few every couple of months, and usually always has Shilo rifles in inventory, thought they're a lot more expensive than the Shilo web site prices.

caliar15
07-06-2006, 5:48 PM
After a year and a half whats another 10 days really?

Electric Factory
07-06-2006, 6:20 PM
These guys are definitely worth a look, truly remarkable rifles.

http://www.riflesmith.com/

The rifle in the pics below is mine.

chris
07-06-2006, 9:43 PM
from what i have read from the site. i think it is about 250.00 deposit that is non refundable. i have to say guys that is great news for what i want to do. i may try to call them from here and put the down payment down. i have read on their forums that they do not start building until about 12 months after ordering.

again thanks for the info guys.

jdberger
07-06-2006, 11:10 PM
These guys are definitely worth a look, truly remarkable rifles.

http://www.riflesmith.com/

Whoa!! Did you catch this on the website?

AXTELL RIFLE COMPANY
IS RELOCATING

We have outgrown our facility

For Sale:

Located in SW Montana 3.5 miles east of Sheridan, in the Tobacco Root Mountains with end-of-the-road privacy. 2.06 acres with a year around creek, small pond, 110 yard shooting range and 30x50 shop building with 3 phase power. Some machinery, lath, CNC Knee Mill etc. 4 bedroom 3 bath home. 3 car garage and 10x14 out-building with electricity and propane gas.

$475,000

xenophobe
07-07-2006, 2:42 AM
You could always consider C Sharps... they're basically the same thing as the Shilo, and were once both a single company until they split...

http://www.csharpsarms.com/

Hunter
07-07-2006, 7:03 AM
You could always consider C Sharps... they're basically the same thing as the Shilo, and were once both a single company until they split...

http://www.csharpsarms.com/

I don't believe their receivers are exactly the same. Shiloh's are the only ones fully interchangable with original parts meaning an exact replica.