PDA

View Full Version : Oil or Grease On Fitted Slide to Frame Matings?

chiselchst
12-01-2010, 3:22 PM
Which do you use on your custom fitted 1911's?

I've read/heard most folks use an "oil" on a custom fitted slide to frame fitted 1911, and that grease (Slide Glide or other stuff) is best suited for non custom fitted guns, such as the typical Sig, etc.

Thoughts?

All input greatly appreciated...

RedFord150
12-01-2010, 4:02 PM
I use Tetra Gun Grease on the rails of my Dan Wesson PM7. I use CLP on the other parts. I am not sure how 'custom fitted' the DW is compared to other 'Higher end' 1911's.

Black Majik
12-01-2010, 4:03 PM
I use grease on the rails, and oil everywhere else.

sevensix2x51
12-01-2010, 4:09 PM
if it slides, i grease it. if it rotates, i oil it. all my pistol rails get grease, and even though i dont have a custom 1911, i dont see myself doing it any differently on one of those, were i to puchase one in the future... the grease stays put better, and for longer.

on a similar note- i tasted the "oil all over the ar15 bcg" flavor-aid for a short time, but i am all better now. im back to grease on the exterior surfaces that contact the receiver.. they feel more smooth, and its less messy.

Q619
12-01-2010, 4:13 PM
I use grease if I plan on it sitting for a while or if I plan on carrying when I'm out in the mountains/wilderness land. Oil for the range. Your holster ends up a mess otherwise. I know there's a bunch of great hi-tech stuff out there but shooters choice grease works fine for me.

Q619
12-01-2010, 4:14 PM
Gets in there nice and deep like.

barca101
12-01-2010, 4:27 PM
I use Mil-Comm TW-25B syringe grease on the slide parts and lock lugs and Weapon shield syringe on the rotating parts, around the barrel, and hammer. Wilson Combat has a good youtube video of the lubrication process. They have a universal lube thats between grease and oil. I may get on to try.

teIam
12-01-2010, 5:21 PM
I use Slide Glide Lite on my Dan Wesson Heritage, and Slide Glide Medium on my P225. Works great.

FeuerFrei
12-01-2010, 8:00 PM
If it turns or pivots -oil it.
If it slides- grease it.
I use Mobile 1 oil and wheel bearing grease for all my stuff cause I'm a cheap sum*****.
I have used Militec-1 on a 1911 I recently acquired and when applied as directed it seems to -last and stay put. One stop shopping.
Experiments continue. ... Maybe I could NP3 the whole thing.:shrug: