PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Duck hunt?

Helpful_Cub
12-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm thinking of getting into duck hunting and I was looking for some ideas or advice. I've mostly hunted deer and other land based critters and have no experience with winged shooting other than trap and skeet, which I'm fairly good at. Besides my 12 gauge, over/under and some camo; what else do I need?

Thanks for the help.

rodeoflyer
12-01-2010, 11:05 AM
A: not since I switched from NES to Playstation....:rofl2:

I haven't hunted duck myself, but I know it's a lot harder and more expensive than it looks on the surface.

I would start out by going to one of the various upland game clubs and shoot at some quail, chukar, pheasant, etc. Go out for dove next year. They are all relatively inexpensive, require little specialty gear, and are a lot of fun.

IMHO.

rgs1975
12-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I duck hunted a couple times with a buddy years ago. We had decoys, decoy bags, decoy lines, decoy weights, camo, waders, gun, ammo, duck call. I felt like it was too much crap to drag out into the field and I stopped goin.

napahunter
12-01-2010, 11:36 AM
What rgs1975 lists. Oh and blind snacks!! I duck hunt damn near every weekend, and tote most of the crap on the list. I just a cart to haul most of it!

winnre
12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
http://www.herdofcats.ca/files/images/duckhunt1.jpg

trob
12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
I shoot ducks a couple times a week. one thing you might not realize is that its probably more expensive than any other form of local hunting. I would advise finding a friend who has already spent a ton of money on the truck, the decoys, and the dog. Then all you have to pay for is gas (lots of it), shells (expensive), couple sets of camo (expensive), stamps+license ($75), daily permits for a refuge ( $18), or annual permits ($140), shotgun, waders, etc., etc.

oh, and its totally worth it... :)

tommyid1
12-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Its a blast if you can shoot skeet you can shoot ducks. Not to mention they are the best eating. My favorite part is bein on the pond when its dark and nothings moving then all of the sudden you hear a chirp and the whole refuge just comes to life. Birds flying everywhere taking off. Its really worth every penny

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

lewdogg21
12-01-2010, 12:40 PM
It's addicting and can be very expensive. I've got thousands into this season and have yet to go once!

Helpful_Cub
12-01-2010, 1:33 PM
I shoot ducks a couple times a week. one thing you might not realize is that its probably more expensive than any other form of local hunting. I would advise finding a friend who has already spent a ton of money on the truck, the decoys, and the dog. Then all you have to pay for is gas (lots of it), shells (expensive), couple sets of camo (expensive), stamps+license ($75), daily permits for a refuge ( $18), or annual permits ($140), shotgun, waders, etc., etc.

How critical is the dog? I don't have one and I'm figuring it would take 2 years to get one trained and ready for retrieving. On that note, anyone in SoCal want a hunting buddy? :D

Barbarossa
12-01-2010, 1:51 PM
It's addicting and can be very expensive. I've got thousands into this season and have yet to go once!

Get out there man!

I've missed 2 weekends this season, 1 for work and another because I was sick.

I'm probably going to spend 5K+ for duck hunting this year.

$3k for the blind, $75 in gas per weekend, Case of shells, New shotgun :D, replacement Decoys, fast grass, 3 work parties, trips to brush the blind up and muck it out

I don't have a dog, but that's another expense.

Best bet for a beginner is go take a guided hunt with a bunch of buddies on Oregon, or Washington. You can see if you enjoy it.

(I wonder what duck costs per pound, $250/lb? :D)

lewdogg21
12-01-2010, 2:01 PM
^^^My club is late season but apparently it's good the last two months of the season. I'm going to try to squeeze in a 45 min hunt Friday after work. Hopefully I can get my company car in and out without getting stuck (prius). Then I'll hunt Sat again.

rgs1975
12-01-2010, 2:10 PM
How critical is the dog? I don't have one and I'm figuring it would take 2 years to get one trained and ready for retrieving. On that note, anyone in SoCal want a hunting buddy? :D

You can do it with out the dog but make darn sure you've got great waders. Try the ones with the built in boots. Slip over boots will pull right off when you are waist deep in a lake and up to your calves in mud.

Silver Pigeon
12-01-2010, 8:47 PM
When chosen at Wister Refuge in California for Duck Hunting, does anyone know how many people may I take with me hunting?

Silver Pigeon
12-01-2010, 8:52 PM
When chosen at Wister Refuge in california, does anyone know how many hunters i can take with me duck hunting?

tommyid1
12-01-2010, 9:27 PM
I believe its 2 there but I could be wrong. Check the dfg.ca.gov site they have info on all the refuges there

sargenv
12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
If you think all that gear is expensive.. try either leasing a blind or buying a share into a club... some clubs will cost you year after year with assessments, others have a good plan and once you buy in you will never have any club related expenses beyond your own stuff like shells, clothing, etc.

Full Clip
12-01-2010, 10:33 PM
I would advise finding a friend who has already spent a ton of money on the truck, the decoys, and the dog.

In my case, he's my brother-in-law. :)
He also picks up the tab on the leased rice field and has a trailer parked near the property.
Yeah, I won.

jaymz
12-05-2010, 6:26 PM
Wister allows up to six hunters per blind - four adult hunters and two juniors. Me and two of my buddies were out there yesterday. Only a couple of birds shy of limit, which we could have easily done, but after two of us had about an hour of sleep in the previous day and a half, we left early.

grunt91
12-05-2010, 6:41 PM
you dont need a dog lol shoot we duck hunt down in texas all the time and we just walk and grab the bird,as long as you got good camo orientated towards what you are around and a quick draw on what weapon your shooting and a lil lead on the bird you should be fine,at least i am anyways never been duck huntin in cali oh and i dont mind luggin around all that gear im used to it

icentropy
12-05-2010, 7:26 PM
I've only gone once. but it seems that it can be done on the cheap. I think there are hunters that also hunt duck, and then there are "$$Duck Hunters$$"

Make a seat out of a few pieces of wood, buy some cheap neoprene waders, buy a box or two of lead free shot, and pay the $18 to get in. You can start off by shooting coots. Don't taste good, but the limit is 25 per day and you get a feeling for duckhunting. Plus there's less of a chance of you hitting a bird/duck that's not legal. You don't need fancy gear or a dog. If you can score some cheap decoys that's a plus, but then you'll want a game cart to cart everything from your truck. I only went once but i went to Kern.

chris
12-05-2010, 8:15 PM

yep the pretty much sums it up. my roomate took me 13 yrs ago and i was hooked. i love it.:D

Wister allows up to six hunters per blind - four adult hunters and two juniors. Me and two of my buddies were out there yesterday. Only a couple of birds shy of limit, which we could have easily done, but after two of us had about an hour of sleep in the previous day and a half, we left early.

my friend and i were there yesterday. pretty good day. i heard last wedsday was a smoker. we stayed all day.

Shoot-it
12-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Wister where is this that's all I hear .

Don't you guys hunt Los banos grass lands?

duckman1
12-06-2010, 7:57 AM
I hunt near the Grasslands, hunting has been excellent the last 2 weeks. The storms brought us new birds and spinners made a difference this weekend.

jaymz
12-06-2010, 8:06 AM
Wister were is this that's all I hear .

Don't you guys hunt Los banos grass lands?

Wister is located near the Salton Sea.

stphnman20
12-06-2010, 8:13 AM
I've never been dunk hunting. Going to start thou. Just got my license. After talking to a lot of dunk hunters, they all said they go to Salton sea. Tilapia and duck. MMMmmmm

trob
12-06-2010, 8:46 AM
You can start off by shooting coots. Don't taste good, but the limit is 25 per day and you get a feeling for duckhunting.

are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

makomyday
12-06-2010, 9:16 AM
Try a coot. Actually tastes great.

stphnman20
12-06-2010, 9:24 AM
Coot is freaking nasty! My buddy who does falconry always gets pissed off when his hawk lands a coot. I didn't know about coots untill he told me about them.

duckman1
12-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Coots have a huge gizzard that is excellent table fare when cleaned and deep fried.

icentropy
12-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Well I tried eating the coot i got but it tasted like strong liver....i'm not a fan of liver. I figured next time i'd try to get as many as possible and try different recipes, if they don't work out i'm sure my dogs would love coot. :D

But don't coots eat the same stuff as ducks? The time i went to Kern there were 100 coots for every 1 duck (well at least it seemed that way). Wouldn't duck hunters be doing them selves a favor by lowering the population of coots to give ducks more room and food?

Barbarossa
12-06-2010, 1:09 PM
We did well over near the Sacramento Refuge on Sunday.

Production is up from last year.

icentropy
12-06-2010, 1:16 PM
Barbarossa, your avitar is awesome. I haven't even thought of Oregon Trail for the apple in 20 years! - sorry i had to say that, you may continue with your duck discussion...

Full Clip
12-06-2010, 2:16 PM
We did well over near the Sacramento Refuge on Sunday.

Production is up from last year.

Near Williams? Going up there to a private spot at X-Mas...

Barbarossa
12-06-2010, 2:39 PM
Barbarossa, your avitar is awesome. I haven't even thought of Oregon Trail for the apple in 20 years! - sorry i had to say that, you may continue with your duck discussion...

Haha thanks. Always make me want to shoot a buffalo.

Near Williams? Going up there to a private spot at X-Mas...

Clarksville/Lambertville.

junko p
12-06-2010, 3:15 PM
you could go duck hunting... but then you would have duck... ewww. Go for quail, pigs, deer, or something tasty :p

Peter W Bush
12-06-2010, 3:46 PM
you could go duck hunting... but then you would have duck... ewww. Go for quail, pigs, deer, or something tasty :p

Blasphemy!

I started duck hunting last year. Got #3 in Kern and shot an island blind. I've been hooked since then. Duck hunting is one of the greatest things a man can do. And ducks are delicious!

Get some cheap waders and a jacket and learn to blow a duck call. Find a buddy with decoys and go with him, or get your own and stand in the sweat line at a refuge. Talk to the wardens there and most of them will help you out.

mschliebs
12-07-2010, 11:01 AM
You can do it with out the dog but make darn sure you've got great waders. Try the ones with the built in boots. Slip over boots will pull right off when you are waist deep in a lake and up to your calves in mud. You can also use a stout fishing pole with strong line and large treble hooks attached to a float for retrival.

Peter W Bush
12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
You can do it with out the dog but make darn sure you've got great waders. Try the ones with the built in boots. Slip over boots will pull right off when you are waist deep in a lake and up to your calves in mud.

Wading in mud with bootfoot waders is a nightmare. Buy stockingfoot waders and a good pair of wading boots (not felt sole).

Adrien
12-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Expensive and addicting pretty much sums it up.

Adrien

Dooligan
12-10-2010, 1:38 PM
I just got the call.

I'm going for the first time tomorrow. Driving tomorrow afternoon, shooting Sunday.

I feel like a little kid on Christmas.:jump:

chris
12-10-2010, 1:47 PM
I just got the call.

I'm going for the first time tomorrow. Driving tomorrow afternoon, shooting Sunday.

I feel like a little kid on Christmas.:jump:

have fun. just to let you know after tommorow you will be addicted to it.

Dooligan
12-10-2010, 1:56 PM
Just one expensive habit to another. My golf game has suffered, but ah well.

CAL.BAR
12-10-2010, 2:27 PM

Duck hunting in San Diego?? - oh sure - right next to the Coronado bridge right? Maybe next to the seal base?

Seriously, where in SD do you duck hunt? (how far do you have to drive to do that?)

Dooligan
12-27-2010, 4:14 PM
Has anyone ever tried to make duck jerky? I've had all the other variations... (beef, elk, turkey, buffalo...) just never duck. I would assume this is for a reason. Ideas?

Rusty_Buckhorn
12-27-2010, 4:22 PM
Its a blast if you can shoot skeet you can shoot ducks. Not to mention they are the best eating.

ducks only taste good if your a big fan of liver.

tommyid1
12-27-2010, 4:24 PM
Its a blast if you can shoot skeet you can shoot ducks. Not to mention they are the best eating.

ducks only taste good if your a big fan of liver.
Or if your a mans man

Rusty_Buckhorn
12-27-2010, 4:33 PM
Or if your a mans man

that must be my problem, I'm not a mans man...... more of a ladies man :coolgleamA:

tommyid1
12-27-2010, 6:04 PM
Lol touche haha

duckman1
12-28-2010, 6:36 AM
Duck is fine eating, it sounds like you are both over cooking it. We also used to make duck sausage and pepper sticks. I have eaten duck jerky and it's excellent, I have never prepared it myself.

lewdogg21
12-28-2010, 6:52 AM
Duckman probably hit it right. If you overcook duck you might as well toss it b/c it's chewing leather. Realistically the duck should have some pink when you cut it open, dont' forget that meat still cooks after being removed from heat. I've done some I thought were perfect when I cut it open right after removing from heat and then after letting it sit it darkened up.

Another thing about duck is that all species don't taste the same. Sorta like fish... Salmon does not taste like carp, well that's not the best example but I think you get the idea.

Teal, sprig, mallard are probably the top 3 universal favorites, but it really depends on what they have been feeding on. Even spoonies who have been in the rice a while aren't bad.