PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a Mosin?

JAY BOOGIE
12-01-2010, 6:26 AM
I posted a thread in the classifieds for my Mossin Nagant. I asked for c&r holders only. People are curious why.

My thought is that it would bypass a 10 day wait and middle man transfer fee.

Will this 1941 rifle need a third party transfer to the average consumer without a C&R?

Thanks all!

stevie
12-01-2010, 6:31 AM
Long guns over 50 years old do not require DROS or C&R in a private party transfer.

JAY BOOGIE
12-01-2010, 6:37 AM
Really? Why does Big 5 go through those steps?

Well I need to edit my ad then.

Thanks Stevie.

AJAX22
12-01-2010, 6:37 AM
Long guns over 50 years old do not require DROS or C&R in a private party transfer.

Yep, what he said.

with one caveat, you can't cross state lines with the sale.

rromeo
12-01-2010, 6:46 AM
Really? Why does Big 5 go through those steps?

Well I need to edit my ad then.

Thanks Stevie.Dealer FFLs are required to DROS all firearms. California dealer FFLs are required to hold all firearms for 10 days. C&R FFL holders with a Certificate of Eligibility may bypass the waiting period on C&R guns.

JAY BOOGIE
12-01-2010, 6:52 AM
This is good info. Thanks guys!

Markus
12-01-2010, 9:09 AM
You can also ship to a c&r holder

hypnoman
12-01-2010, 9:18 PM
Hey Jay,

Be sure to protect yourself, get a look at the buyers CDL and get a statement that he can legally purchase and own firearms. If you make out a bill of sale with fill in areas it makes it look official and easy.

GLWS!!

Ricky-Ray
12-01-2010, 9:39 PM
I thought for Mosin's it was a cash and carry with private parties. The buy doesn't need to have a C&R license.

Beetle Bailey
12-01-2010, 9:52 PM
For a face-to-face purchase, the buyer does not need a C&R license. Shipping the rifle is a different matter.

Low-Pressure
12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Can you post a picture here?
If it's been sporterized, it might not be considered C&R and might need to be DROS'ed.
Someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
For a face-to-face purchase, the buyer does not need a C&R license. Shipping the rifle is a different matter.

Shipping is the same matter. 50+ year old C&R long guns don't have to be transfered through an FFL in California if both parties are California residents. Face to face, shipped, teleported...it doesn't matter.

Markus
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Yeah just not sure about trusting someone you can't meet ftf.

ohlone
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
if i bought the Mosin from big 5 which went trough the DROS and 10 day jail time, can i sell it to others via cash and carry? does that Mosin registered under my name in DOJ? if cash and carry to others and they get trouble with it, will the cop come to my door and give me trouble?

thanks....

hypnoman
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I would get a scan of their CDL and utility bill or something . . . before shipping

Beetle Bailey
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Shipping is the same matter. 50+ year old C&R long guns don't have to be transfered through an FFL in California if both parties are California residents. Face to face, shipped, teleported...it doesn't matter.

Cool beans :cool2:

Mssr. Eleganté
12-01-2010, 11:04 PM
if i bought the Mosin from big 5 which went trough the DROS and 10 day jail time, can i sell it to others via cash and carry?

YES

does that Mosin registered under my name in DOJ?

NO (Long guns are not registered)

if cash and carry to others and they get trouble with it, will the cop come to my door and give me trouble?

MAYBE (If law enforcement runs a trace on the gun through ATF, the trail will lead to you. That's because Century Intl. will tell ATF that they sold the gun to Big 5 and then Big 5 will tell ATF that they sold the gun to you. You can then tell ATF to whom you sold the gun. If you sold it via PPT at a dealer then ATF will have to go to the dealer to find the buyer's info. If you sold it cash and carry with no paperwork then ATF will have to rely on your memory to find the buyer.)

Ricky-Ray
12-01-2010, 11:22 PM
If the Mosin was DROS'd I would do a Firearm's Bill of Sale something like this, http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf

I would think there would be a form you can submit to DOJ saying that it was sold and to have it removed from you name. I've just never searched for it.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
...I would think there would be a form you can submit to DOJ saying that it was sold and to have it removed from you name. I've just never searched for it.

CalDOJ doesn't know it is in your name. You can't ask them to remove something from your name that was never in your name.

If ATF is doing the trace then they have to come through you first anyway. Telling CalDOJ that you sold a firearm will not stop ATF from tracing the gun to you. If you want to help ATF complete the trace then just tell them to whom you sold the rifle. Don't waste their time by forcing them to go find paperwork in Sacramento.

AndrewMendez
12-01-2010, 11:32 PM
You can ship the Firearm to anyone in the state who can legally obtain a firearm, as long as you stay in California. The transaction does not have to be f2f, it may be a good idea to obtain a copy of the buying parties ID, just for safe keeping, and/or ask to see a copy of a recent DROS.

Palimino Stripe
12-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Listen to Mssr. Eleganté- he is 100% correct & know's what he's talking about.

As a side note- Perhaps the mods could post a sticky about this issue- because ignorance (& FUD) of C&R regs seems to be a common problem.

-Palimino

rt66paul
12-08-2010, 1:58 AM
YES

NO (Long guns are not registered)

MAYBE (If law enforcement runs a trace on the gun through ATF, the trail will lead to you. That's because Century Intl. will tell ATF that they sold the gun to Big 5 and then Big 5 will tell ATF that they sold the gun to you. You can then tell ATF to whom you sold the gun. If you sold it via PPT at a dealer then ATF will have to go to the dealer to find the buyer's info. If you sold it cash and carry with no paperwork then ATF will have to rely on your memory to find the buyer.)

If you have a C&R license, you had better put down in your book where the rifle went - now, if your C&R licenses lapses....... You can dump the book, there is no requirement that you keep it(or even keep your collection, you can sell it all off, if you want).