PDA

View Full Version : My Saiga 12 Project Is (Almost) Done!

The Sauce
11-30-2010, 8:44 PM
Ok so it started out as a "normal" Saiga 12:

http://www.keepshooting.com/productimages/firearms/shotguns/saiga12gaugeshotgunbig.jpg

I wanted to convert it to PG, but also wanted to make it look different than most of the S12's i've seen around...I wanted it to look more like an AK-47. So I bought the regular conversion and 922r parts (FCG, Gas piston) and then I added a wooden AK furniture set (US Made).

The FCG conversion itself wasn't too hard...compared to sanding, grinding, fitting, grinding, re-fitting and regrinding the wood furniture to fit. All in all, she's almost done. All that's left is to install the new FCG and stain the furniture Russian Red to match my WASR. I'm going to start that tomorrow, but I couldn't wait to snap a few pics for you guys.

Here she is:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/TheSauce_69/Firearm%20Pics/S12b.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/TheSauce_69/Firearm%20Pics/S12a.jpg

And here is what I want to do to make it even MORE evil...

S12 CRUISER! :43: (28.5" OAL- Not including that buttstock bracket)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/TheSauce_69/Firearm%20Pics/S12c.jpg

I'll update the post when I finish the FCG and furniture! :D

j.primo
12-01-2010, 1:49 AM
That's awesome. Gotta love Russian styling. Can't wait to see the Russian Red!!

The Sauce
12-01-2010, 9:06 AM
Thanks! I'm itchin' to get home and finish this thing!

mmrx2
12-01-2010, 1:22 PM
Very nice. you gonna do the ak front site and breech? It'd be cool if you cut the barrel down and welded the breech.

The Sauce
12-02-2010, 6:34 AM
I'm not sure if I'm going to do the AK front sight. I'll have to if I eventually do the AK gas block.

I also thought about cutting the barrel down and welding a cool breech on there...but I like the capability to accept chokes. I don't know we'll see.

I just finished installing the FCG last night, spent about a half hour cursing at my new Tapco G2 FCG because the hammer didn't reach the firing pin, and it also didn't lock back when you rack the bolt. After a lot of swearing I realized that you can install the hammer backwards. DOH! (noob, I know). After I got it all sorted out, ran a couple snap caps through the action and works fine now. The good news is that i'm REALLY good at removing and installing AK FCGs now lol :D. Can't wait to take her on a test drive!

247Nino
12-02-2010, 8:14 AM
And here is what I want to do to make it even MORE evil...

S12 CRUISER! :43: (28.5" OAL- Not including that buttstock bracket)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/TheSauce_69/Firearm%20Pics/S12c.jpg

I'll update the post when I finish the FCG and furniture! :D

put a breach brake on it and call it a day

The Sauce
12-11-2010, 5:58 PM
Took her out for the first time today! She had a rough start, but after a few rounds everything straightened itself out. Really fun gun...can't wait to take it somewhere I can blast away with it.

BTW: If you think the wooden furniture and metal buttpad hurts with a x39 AK...wait till you try it with a 12Ga. :D

DirtyDan
12-11-2010, 7:12 PM
That is awesome. For sure that's on my list!

Gio
12-11-2010, 7:26 PM
Pretty awesome indeed! Good work :)

bsg
12-12-2010, 7:56 AM
congratulations.

jesse3533
12-12-2010, 10:19 AM
nice shot gun. I was thinking of converting my saiga too and putting on the classic looking wood furniture also. does the top hand guard get in the way of the stock sights?

The Sauce
12-13-2010, 6:20 AM
nice shot gun. I was thinking of converting my saiga too and putting on the classic looking wood furniture also. does the top hand guard get in the way of the stock sights?

Yes it does. It also doesn't really mount to the original gas tube, I just mocked it up there...I didn't have it on when I was actually shooting it. Originally, I was going to make a mount for it, but there was that issue with the sights. Dinzag has a press-in upper assembly which has an AK rear sight and mounts for the upper HG.

247Nino
12-13-2010, 9:00 AM
Dinzag has a press-in upper assembly which has an AK rear sight and mounts for the upper HG.

VERY EXPENSIVE but a nice piece...

How many rounds have been through yours? I noticed that FTF, never had one of those, most of my fails were FTE.

The Sauce
12-14-2010, 7:14 AM
VERY EXPENSIVE but a nice piece...

How many rounds have been through yours? I noticed that FTF, never had one of those, most of my fails were FTE.

This was the first time shooting it, so at that point probably like 30 rds or so.

The FTF was with the magazine, I think. It was brand new and the follower was tilting and rubbing on the magazine body. After wearing in that magazine in a bit, it stopped. I had another 10 rounder that I bought used and it worked fine, no FTFs.

pyro3k2
12-14-2010, 7:30 PM
This was the first time shooting it, so at that point probably like 30 rds or so.

The FTF was with the magazine, I think. It was brand new and the follower was tilting and rubbing on the magazine body. After wearing in that magazine in a bit, it stopped. I had another 10 rounder that I bought used and it worked fine, no FTFs.

What type of shot shell where you using and what was the gas setting on? I was having those issues with my S12 but then I realized 7.5 bird/target loads need to be on gas setting 2. Once I rotated the piston all of my issues went away.

Shady
12-14-2010, 7:36 PM
ya man my s12 wrecks my shoulder

I got a buttpad and it helps a little

btw get a v plug for it

BroncoBob
12-14-2010, 7:40 PM
Sweet looking shotgun for sure and the wood furniture does set it nicely.
I just happen to have the exact same furniture on my Wasr-10/63
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/AK%2047%20Rifles/MVC-020F.jpg

j.primo
12-14-2010, 9:37 PM
You don't need a useless thing like that... Best thing you can do is sell it to me for an un-beatable price..:D:jump:

The Sauce
12-15-2010, 6:49 AM
What type of shot shell where you using and what was the gas setting on? I was having those issues with my S12 but then I realized 7.5 bird/target loads need to be on gas setting 2. Once I rotated the piston all of my issues went away.

I was shooting 7.5 bird/target loads on setting 2 lol. It wasn't the gas setting, it was the magazine...you could feel it binding a bit when loading, but it went away.

ya man my s12 wrecks my shoulder

I got a buttpad and it helps a little

btw get a v plug for it

What's a V Plug?

Sweet looking shotgun for sure and the wood furniture does set it nicely.
I just happen to have the exact same furniture on my Wasr-10/63
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/AK%2047%20Rifles/MVC-020F.jpg

Thanks! The ROs were all over it that day. I let one of them shoot a few rounds through it.

You don't need a useless thing like that... Best thing you can do is sell it to me for an un-beatable price..:D:jump:

You know what...you're right. $2500, I would ask more...but it doesn't have a LRBHO. :D

pyro3k2
12-15-2010, 7:04 PM
What trigger guard and mag lock combo are you using? I'm getting the parts together now to convert my S12 but Im running into issues trying to find a trigger guard that will work with my mag lock.

The Sauce
12-16-2010, 7:41 AM
I have the trigger guard from Dinzag Arms (http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/convkit.html) and i'm using it with a Solar Tactical S12 Magazine Lock (http://www.solartactical.com/SOLAR-TACTICAL-GEN-2-SAIGA-12-CALIFORNIA-MAGAZINE-LOCK-320.htm).

karl9422
12-25-2010, 1:29 AM
You might be able to mod the mag lock. mine was stamped steel mag lock rounded a small hole in the back where the front trigger hard hole is and angle cut it from the mag well to the bottom of the mag lock makes it easier to remove for me since the hole thing got pushed forward and sandwiched between the trigger guard and receiver

generalpetres
12-25-2010, 2:54 AM
nice saiga, i cant wait till im able to afford one of my own. as for shadys saiga it is really nice i was able to shoot it at the ak canyon country build party.

The Sauce
12-25-2010, 8:36 AM
You might be able to mod the mag lock. mine was stamped steel mag lock rounded a small hole in the back where the front trigger hard hole is and angle cut it from the mag well to the bottom of the mag lock makes it easier to remove for me since the hole thing got pushed forward and sandwiched between the trigger guard and receiver

I have a new one from Solar Tactical on there now. It's not in the photos, but you can kind of see it in the video. It works pretty good.

hcbr
12-25-2010, 10:12 AM
awesome!

Quinc
12-26-2010, 1:06 PM
I need to stop coming the forums, the more I see these the more i want to convert mine. Anywhere having any sales on conversion kits? :D

1lostinspace
12-26-2010, 1:26 PM
that's so sick!

The Sauce
12-26-2010, 8:07 PM
I need to stop coming the forums, the more I see these the more i want to convert mine. Anywhere having any sales on conversion kits? :D

Dinzag arms has good deals on their conversion parts. Its just a matter of choosing which direction you want to go. Its a piece of cake.

Justincase22
12-29-2010, 8:54 PM
Nice build!! I like the wood look!! Question is it legal to have a Saiga 12 with a pistol grip in Kalifornia? I don't mean to hijack your thread.

The Sauce
12-29-2010, 8:57 PM
Yes, a semiautomatic shotgun can have a PG if it doesn't have a collapsible buttstock.

HK-DEMON-
12-29-2010, 9:16 PM
Impressive shotgun, nice work.

Quinc
12-29-2010, 9:22 PM
Dinzag arms has good deals on their conversion parts. Its just a matter of choosing which direction you want to go. Its a piece of cake.

I checked out there site, do they sell a full kit or did you have to buy each part separate?

The Sauce
12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
I checked out there site, do they sell a full kit or did you have to buy each part separate?

They have trigger guard hardware kits, but for the most part you have to choose which parts you want to put on. The reason is because there are many different directions you can go with the conversion, (different furniture setups, different magazine lock devices, different FCGs, 922(r) compliance parts etc...) so deciding what you want your Saiga to look and feel like will dictate which parts you should buy. I wanted mine to look more like a traditional AK, so the 922r wood furniture and associated hardware is what I bought. I also wanted a nicer trigger, so I went with a 2 stage 922r compliant FCG. Some other guys go with synthetic/tactical furniture, so their hardware would [probably] be different than mine.

It's a custom job, so I mean...you have to put in some effort. :D

evidens83
12-31-2010, 8:07 PM
Awesome SG. You did a great job :43::thumbsup:

AR15RN
12-31-2010, 10:58 PM
NICE!!! Good job on the conversion, cant wait to pick mine up in 10 days. I guess I'll shot it stock then convert in the next couple of months too.

Anchors
01-01-2011, 12:15 AM
How much are you into this for?
That is awesome looking.
I think the AK gas block and sight would look really cool.
But it looks great the way it is.
Picture saved.

I kind of want to do that to a Saiga 20 and make it look like an incognito AK like this. With the smaller profile and mags people might be like "WTF" when I shoot it haha.

The Sauce
01-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone...glad you guys think its cool! I have been really busy lately, haven't had time to stain the furniture. I'll put the pics up after I do.

How much are you into this for?
That is awesome looking.
I think the AK gas block and sight would look really cool.
But it looks great the way it is.
Picture saved.

I kind of want to do that to a Saiga 20 and make it look like an incognito AK like this. With the smaller profile and mags people might be like "WTF" when I shoot it haha.

Its not that much, really...I think all the conversion parts were just about $300. I do want that AK gas block, but I don't know if I want to throw down the extra $299 for it. A Saiga 20 would be cool, but there's something about the BOOM of rapidfiring 10 12ga slugs downrange. :D

Anchors
01-01-2011, 2:56 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone...glad you guys think its cool! I have been really busy lately, haven't had time to stain the furniture. I'll put the pics up after I do.

Its not that much, really...I think all the conversion parts were just about $300. I do want that AK gas block, but I don't know if I want to throw down the extra $299 for it. A Saiga 20 would be cool, but there's something about the BOOM of rapidfiring 10 12ga slugs downrange. :D

I've never shot a Saiga shotty, I bet it is something special.
I just want people to think the 20 is a normal AK until I start shooting haha.

The gas block is that much? What if you just bought a normal AK gas block and attached it for cosmetics, but didn't actually cycle the action with it?

superbart3000
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I recently purchased a saiga 12. I am going to add a pistol grip. I realize it's against the law to also add a folding or collapsible stock. I plan on using a pinned collapsible for cosmetic looks even though it would be non-functional.

My question though is, I saw a picture on this thread of a Saiga 12, with a pistol grip and with the stock completely removed. Since the law only forbids folding/telescopic stocks with pistol grips on semi-auto shotguns, and since the barrel is over 18" and the overall length is over 26". Does that mean I can convert my Saiga to a stockless pistol grip configuration? Or was that picture just a progress pic?

DREADNOUGHT78
01-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Man I want one super bad I love the wood! Good job man! Nice technique with sending the round into the chamber as well! Style points for sure!

The Sauce
01-10-2011, 12:25 AM
I recently purchased a saiga 12. I am going to add a pistol grip. I realize it's against the law to also add a folding or collapsible stock. I plan on using a pinned collapsible for cosmetic looks even though it would be non-functional.

My question though is, I saw a picture on this thread of a Saiga 12, with a pistol grip and with the stock completely removed. Since the law only forbids folding/telescopic stocks with pistol grips on semi-auto shotguns, and since the barrel is over 18" and the overall length is over 26". Does that mean I can convert my Saiga to a stockless pistol grip configuration? Or was that picture just a progress pic?

Yes, it's legal as long as the lengths are ok. You can't have a folding or telescoping stock...but you can have no stock. Go figure, California...:rolleyes: