PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in the Tahoe national forest

gnatnoop
11-30-2010, 9:31 PM
can you rifle hunt the Tahoe national forest, just north of lake stampede? i know the boca area is shotgun only but was wondering if i could rifle hunt the Tahoe national forest.

i would be predator hunting

tony270
12-01-2010, 7:46 AM
Call the kind folks at the bottom and aks them.

Can I carry a firearm on the forest?
National Forest lands are subject to both federal and state regulations. In general, you can carry a firearm on Tahoe NF lands, subject to the requirements of state law. Target shooting and hunting is also allowed, subject to regulation and common sense.
36 CFR 261.10(d) prohibits
Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a Forest Development road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.
National Forest lands around French Meadows reservoir and the northwest portion of the Granite Chief wilderness are within the boundaries of French Meadows State Game Refuge. State law prohibits possession or discharge of firearms, pellet guns, and bows and arrows within the refuge.

Tahoe National Forest
631 Coyote Street
Nevada City, CA 95959
(530) 265-4531 (voice)
(530) 478-6118 (TDD)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/faq/index.shtml

GrizzlyGuy
12-01-2010, 9:22 AM
Where did you get the info that the Boca Reservoir area is shotgun only? I hadn't heard that one before.

AFAIK, the area north of Stampede Reservoir is fine for hunting. I don't know how far north you are intending to go, but a lot of Sardine Valley is private property and there are are other small areas of private property to the north of Henness Pass Road and west of Lemon Canyon Road, then again up at Jones Valley. Kyburz Flat has some planked trails and a 'wildlife viewing' platform, so I consider that a no-shooting zone due to the forest service's 150 yard rule.

You can try calling the Tahoe ranger stations but I've found that they rarely have any useful info regarding firearms or hunting. They usually say to obey the state and local laws, don't shoot anyone and otherwise go have fun.

I guess you know that we have lots of snow on the ground right now, so bring your snowshoes if you heading this way soon.

gnatnoop
12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Where did you get the info that the Boca Reservoir area is shotgun only? I hadn't heard that one before.

AFAIK, the area north of Stampede Reservoir is fine for hunting. I don't know how far north you are intending to go, but a lot of Sardine Valley is private property and there are are other small areas of private property to the north of Henness Pass Road and west of Lemon Canyon Road, then again up at Jones Valley. Kyburz Flat has some planked trails and a 'wildlife viewing' platform, so I consider that a no-shooting zone due to the forest service's 150 yard rule.

You can try calling the Tahoe ranger stations but I've found that they rarely have any useful info regarding firearms or hunting. They usually say to obey the state and local laws, don't shoot anyone and otherwise go have fun.

I guess you know that we have lots of snow on the ground right now, so bring your snowshoes if you heading this way soon.

i saw the shot gun only area here.. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/truckeeriver.html

thanks for the info

tony270
12-02-2010, 7:58 AM
What they're saying is only Shotgun hunting is allowed in the Truckee River Wildlife Area - Nevada & Placer Counties. The Truckee River Wildlife Area - Nevada & Placer Counties is within the Tahoe National Forest.

Go to the map link below and the brown areas are what they are referring to. Taking into account the total land mass of the TNF the TRWA is small.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/docs/truckee/TruckeeRiverWA.pdf

lepcur
12-02-2010, 5:12 PM
What they're saying is only Shotgun hunting is allowed in the Truckee River Wildlife Area - Nevada & Placer Counties. The Truckee River Wildlife Area - Nevada & Placer Counties is within the Tahoe National Forest.

Go to the map link below and the brown areas are what they are referring to. Taking into account the total land mass of the TNF the TRWA is small.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/docs/truckee/TruckeeRiverWA.pdf
That makes sense to me Tony as I bear hunt all over that forest. Mike