PDA

View Full Version : No SRB - no safety

Satex
07-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I was looking into my OLL configuration and in the interest as being most compliant with the most recent DOJ memo (for what it is worth), I decided to go with a detachable mag and no evil feature configuration.
Since we canít have a pistol grip in that configuration, one either needs an SRB or go without a safety all together. I checked the function of the rifle without a safety and it operates properly in semi fire mode. Since I donít mind not having a safety on it, I see no issues with using it without one.
Does anyone see any issues with it that I havenít thought of?
Thanks!

GW
07-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Just the usual legal BS
No safety = unsafe weapon

That and the big hole in your receiver that can let dirt/junk in

SC_00_05
07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I haven't used it, but the Monstergrip would seem like it's a lot more comfortable to shoot than having nothing at all.

JPglee1
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I was looking into my OLL configuration and in the interest as being most compliant with the most recent DOJ memo (for what it is worth), I decided to go with a detachable mag and no evil feature configuration.
Since we canít have a pistol grip in that configuration, one either needs an SRB or go without a safety all together. I checked the function of the rifle without a safety and it operates properly in semi fire mode. Since I donít mind not having a safety on it, I see no issues with using it without one.
Does anyone see any issues with it that I havenít thought of?
Thanks!

I don't use a safety on my FAL or my SKS (removed them both, FAL has been neutured so its in "FIRE" all the time)

You'll be just fine, especially if you remember to always keep the bolt open on an empty chamber, if you need to use it, pull the BHO and it's ready to rock n roll. With the bolt back, its not gonna be able to accidentally discharge.

JP

vonsmith
07-05-2006, 2:17 PM
Legally speaking I would be concerned about liability issues. It just sounds bad that someone would disable or entirely remove the safety. Kalifornia is a major litigation state. If something bad happened with one of my guns, even if it wasn't my fault, I'd be afraid of what some victim's attorney would dream up.

Okay, maybe I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?

=vonsmith=

JPglee1
07-05-2006, 2:20 PM
Okay, maybe I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?

=vonsmith=

No, you don't have a Tinfoil Hat yet.... ;)

JP

P.S. I don't like safeties, I once had a pistol lock up on me because the safety got bumped...IF I don't wanna shoot it, my finger aint on the trigger. Kinda like a D/A revolver w/no safeties.

grammaton76
07-05-2006, 2:33 PM
Seems like you might be able to plug the hole with a nylon spacer or something... the only thing I would be concerned about with that approach would be some LEO thinking that you've worked up some kind of home brewed FA conversion. I realize that wouldn't be possible without a bunch of other parts, but never underestimate the ability of LE to assume you're up to no good.

sac7000
07-06-2006, 5:57 AM
Legally speaking I would be concerned about liability issues. It just sounds bad that someone would disable or entirely remove the safety. Kalifornia is a major litigation state. If something bad happened with one of my guns, even if it wasn't my fault, I'd be afraid of what some victim's attorney would dream up.
=vonsmith=

Same thing with disabling the firing pin block on a 1911 pistol. Or removing the magazine safety on a Browning Hi-power in order so that the pistol can be fired without a magazine inserted. A liability issue that in the event of an accidental shooting you could be held liable simply because you defeated or removed the firearm's safety features.

newtothis
07-06-2006, 6:40 PM
Didn't someone on another thread suggest using a set screw to hold the spring in place? Seemed like a good idea.