PDA

View Full Version : Mosins still marching on with Afghan Police

SilentScream
11-30-2010, 10:57 AM
I guess the Mosin rifle is not retired yet, looks like some M44 are used by the Afghanistan Police (8:09), they look pretty good I wonder if they are the same kind currently being sold in Russia.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7096993n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

nick
11-30-2010, 11:27 AM
The Mosins look Chinese, I've never seen a Russian bayonet like that in the white.

Cowboy T
11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm not surprised one bit. The Mosin-Nagant remains a fine rifle, and a good one is deadly accurate at long range.

Vlad 11
11-30-2010, 12:57 PM
http://imgur.com/HWEAG.jpg

So they spend 8 billion on the Afghan Police and hook em up with $49 M44's. Someone is pocketing a nice chunk of profit.

glennsche
11-30-2010, 1:04 PM
http://imgur.com/HWEAG.jpg

So they spend 8 billion on the Afghan Police and hook em up with $49 M44's. Someone is pocketing a nice chunk of profit.

well if we'd spent the money in Afghanistan wisely where "teh trrsts" actually originated from instead of wasting billions in iraq for nothin', maybe they'd be worth a few enfields at least. or a k31 or two. or a rack grade garand TOPS. :)

Cowboy T
11-30-2010, 1:12 PM
But they can take out insurgents with that bayonet from a mile away! :D

Didn't see the clip (this computer doesn't have that Adobe Flash crap installed), but I see a couple of concerns here. First is the bayonet. I can see the Army needing that, but the police dept.? A shorter, handier semi-auto carbine for closer (city, town) engagements would probably be more appropriate. I would choose an AK-pattern over, say, an AR for this kind of environment, with all the sand and dirt and wind (similar to Iraq). But since they have M44's, they would certainly be reliable.

Datamancer
11-30-2010, 1:25 PM
I wonder if they actually use them or if they're just drill rifles.

-~D~-

pullnshoot25
11-30-2010, 2:47 PM
I see Datamancer's magazine idea becoming a big hit...

Datamancer
11-30-2010, 3:43 PM
I see Datamancer's magazine idea becoming a big hit...

*looking up number to the APD*

"For the low, low price of $50 (plus $3500 S&H) I can double the effectiveness of your sadly outdated armed forces!"

-~D~-

Full Clip
11-30-2010, 3:52 PM
M-Ns are all I'd trust them (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/30/afghan-police-training-hampered-illiteracy-betrayal/) with.

Cato
11-30-2010, 4:16 PM
Looks like training rifles. They will get AKs once they graduate.

bigstick61
11-30-2010, 5:45 PM
The M44 Mosin-Nagant is the standard Afghan rifle for drill and ceremonies. It would not normally be used in combat.

smle-man
11-30-2010, 5:58 PM
Just saw a picture on MSNBC of Afghan soldiers with M14s so you never know what they may be carrying.

Quinc
11-30-2010, 6:07 PM
Maybe we are finally getting smarter. Chances are they will be using them against us at some point...

Interloper
11-30-2010, 6:19 PM
I'm betting on sewer pipe barrels and screwed up crowns.
I agree though. Probably just DP/training rifles.

Palimino Stripe
11-30-2010, 8:29 PM
Drill rifles? Um YEAH- Look at this lovely example being used by the Afghan national army:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/a/a6/20100626204038!Afghan_National_Army.jpg

Warning: HUGE picture

-Palimino

Interloper
11-30-2010, 8:34 PM
Drill rifles? Um YEAH- Look at this lovely example being used by the Afghan national army:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/a/a6/20100626204038!Afghan_National_Army.jpg

-Palimino
Wonder if they put a cork on the bayonet?

Datamancer
11-30-2010, 9:32 PM

-Palimino

Ouch you weren't kidding. Drill rifle indeed. That'll take your hat off!

-~D~-

rojocorsa
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Sigh. When are we going to leave A-stan? It's no use.

I guess going after the Saudis that fund the madrassas where boys are indoctrinated into being Talibs is too much...petro-dollars, cough, cough

I honestly wonder how much of Afhgnaistan the ANP controls; I'm sure y'all are aware that the corrupt Karzai government basically controls Kabul--that's it.

Mofo-Kang
11-30-2010, 11:58 PM
I honestly wonder how much of Afhgnaistan the ANP controls; I'm sure y'all are aware that the corrupt Karzai government basically controls Kabul--that's it.

The joke around that part of the world is to call Karzai the "Mayor of Kabul" because that's really about as far as his authority extends. Beyond that area, the local warlords/tribal leaders/clan elders are the ones really in charge, as they have been for centuries. Some of them are friendly to the Karzai government and the US, and some of them aren't. Some of them are allied with the Taliban and some of them aren't. Some of them are both, and some are neither...it all depends on which way the wind is blowing, whose soldiers are in the next village up the road, and it all changes from day to day.

7.62x54R
12-01-2010, 9:01 AM
The joke around that part of the world is to call Karzai the "Mayor of Kabul" because that's really about as far as his authority extends. Beyond that area, the local warlords/tribal leaders/clan elders are the ones really in charge, as they have been for centuries. Some of them are friendly to the Karzai government and the US, and some of them aren't. Some of them are allied with the Taliban and some of them aren't. Some of them are both, and some are neither...it all depends on which way the wind is blowing, whose soldiers are in the next village up the road, and it all changes from day to day.

This sounds like the reality of Afghanistan

TRAP55
12-01-2010, 7:13 PM

-Palimino
Man, I hope that date stamp is 48 and not 43.:eek:

ohlone
12-01-2010, 10:05 PM
it looks like 63 to me.... but anyway, my 1945 M44 looks in better condition than his.....

rojocorsa
12-01-2010, 10:54 PM

This sounds like the reality of Afghanistan

And this is probably why we'll never really "tame" that place; no one has been able to.

Palimino Stripe
12-01-2010, 11:30 PM

Looks like a 1946 to me.

tacticalcity
12-02-2010, 5:44 AM
well if we'd spent the money in Afghanistan wisely where "teh trrsts" actually originated from instead of wasting billions in iraq for nothin', maybe they'd be worth a few enfields at least. or a k31 or two. or a rack grade garand TOPS. :)

Saddam at the end of rope is not exactly nothing. I consider it a pretty big something. Perhaps were just not from the same generation. When I was in the military, he was killing off the Kurds and using chemical weapons on them. Seeing a five year old girl with her face melted off is a life changing experience. We measure our success by how few innocent civilians we harm. Saddam measured it by how many. There have been a lot of positive outcomes as a result of Iraq to go along with the negatives. It all depends on your perspective and how you choose to look at it.

As for the Mosins, those have been there since the 1940's. It is not like the US imported them for them and said here you go, good luck against those AK-47s. Those are the rifles they had.