PDA

View Full Version : Calling predators (oops wrong one!)

Kerplow
11-30-2010, 1:05 AM
would it be ill advised to use a distress call to bring in coyote if you happen to be in bear country? the answer seems self explanatory to me, but im a total nub to hunting so what the hell do i know?

i would like to do some coyote hunting but i have no idea where to begin and one of the few places i can think of is near the June Lake area where there are definitely some bears! if it got ugly and smokey wanted to eat me for tricking him i would probably not be equipped for bear and even if i were i would not want to deal with the consequences of shooting a bear in self defense out of season without a tag.

that being said, i will throw out the shameless request: anyone with some experience who is willing to take a nub like myself coyote hunting will be rewarded with gas, food, ammo, and a personal ***** for the day. :D

m98
11-30-2010, 3:32 AM
Pm pch or professioncoyotehunter. I think you guys can work something out as he's from socal too

LloydXmas250
11-30-2010, 8:28 AM
would it be ill advised to use a distress call to bring in coyote if you happen to be in bear country? the answer seems self explanatory to me, but im a total nub to hunting so what the hell do i know?

i would like to do some coyote hunting but i have no idea where to begin and one of the few places i can think of is near the June Lake area where there are definitely some bears! if it got ugly and smokey wanted to eat me for tricking him i would probably not be equipped for bear and even if i were i would not want to deal with the consequences of shooting a bear in self defense out of season without a tag.

that being said, i will throw out the shameless request: anyone with some experience who is willing to take a nub like myself coyote hunting will be rewarded with gas, food, ammo, and a personal ***** for the day. :D

Be careful because much of the area around June Lake is shotgun only. So either use a shotgun or pick up the shooting map so you know exactly where and how you can hunt in that area.

As for the issue with the bear, I've never had a bear come to my calls but I would consistently get crows and hawks to come take a look and if they're interested a bear wouldn't be out of the question. Best bet is to have a partner and/or something to fend off the bear, a sidearm or some mace.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-30-2010, 8:42 AM
Hunt around Crowley Lake or convict on the lower side o f the valley. There is enough of them down there to fill a semi and you dont have to worry about bears to much. Bears are pretty skittish and usually dont respond unless using a fawn distress. They dont waste their time on rabbits or woodpeckers too much..

Kerplow
11-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Hunt around Crowley Lake or convict on the lower side o f the valley. There is enough of them down there to fill a semi and you dont have to worry about bears to much. Bears are pretty skittish and usually dont respond unless using a fawn distress. They dont waste their time on rabbits or woodpeckers too much..

that sounds like a good idea. JL is way too far to drive just to hunt yote but im up there a couple times a year anyhow and a day of hunting would make a nice addition to my other sierra activities.

the only places i can think of in the socal area are mostly desolate desert with not much vegetation, save for some shrubbery. are coyote trolling out in the god forsaken deserts near barstow, or do they stick to places with more vegetation/shade?

Be careful because much of the area around June Lake is shotgun only. So either use a shotgun or pick up the shooting map so you know exactly where and how you can hunt in that area.

where can i find the shooting map? i was looking at the BLM website last night but the only map i could find for shotgun only areas was for the barstow field office?

there is a shooting range in june lake just a short ways from town. all kinds of rifle shooting going on there, i wonder if that spot is supposed to be shotgun only?

Abenaki
11-30-2010, 7:06 PM
Go for it! That is half of the of the fun of calling. Ya just never know what may show up!

I called in one bear, years ago. This bear....about 250 pounds. Came in behind me... it crossed my scent... and knew that I was there. It was about 20 feet behind me. I could hear it huffing and popping it's teeth!!! That was a pucker factor of about +10!!!

I did not have a bear tag....and the rifle that I had was a 22-250, with a 50 grain bullet.
Not some thing that I would like to pop a bear with. Sooooo...I just stood up and fired into the ground. The bear did not stick around very long after that!

Take care
Abenaki

Sionadi
11-30-2010, 7:21 PM

I have used a distressed pig call before, Ive had bears come in, groups of pissed off pigs, and a friend of mine had a lion come in for a look.

However I have gotten lots of coyotes using that call.

Hunt
11-30-2010, 8:16 PM
I have used a distressed pig call before, Ive had bears come in, groups of pissed off pigs, and a friend of mine had a lion come in for a look.

However I have gotten lots of coyotes using that call.

was that a digital cal or a manual call?

Sionadi
11-30-2010, 8:49 PM
edit: I mean digital

Kerplow
11-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Pm pch or professioncoyotehunter. I think you guys can work something out as he's from socal too

i like to do my blatant mooching passive aggressive style when it comes to this topic :D. people are pretty tight about their hunting grounds and i dont wanna put anyone out. if gas, food, ammo and someone to do the dirty work is enough for someone to take a noob under their belt, then that's how i roll. ;)

LloydXmas250
12-01-2010, 12:02 AM
where can i find the shooting map? i was looking at the BLM website last night but the only map i could find for shotgun only areas was for the barstow field office?

there is a shooting range in june lake just a short ways from town. all kinds of rifle shooting going on there, i wonder if that spot is supposed to be shotgun only?

You can get a hard copy at a city building in San Bernardino. It's the San B county shooting map so it only covers San B. I can't recall the address but this thread has it somewhere. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=302534&page=3&highlight=map

There's also this site that have the pdf.file of the map. It has the whole county or the mountains and valley zoomed in. http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/

Kerplow
12-01-2010, 12:36 AM
You can get a hard copy at a city building in San Bernardino. It's the San B county shooting map so it only covers San B. I can't recall the address but this thread has it somewhere. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=302534&page=3&highlight=map

There's also this site that have the pdf.file of the map. It has the whole county or the mountains and valley zoomed in. http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/

my problem is i cant find shooting maps for any other areas. it seems like SB is the only one that has a map of their shotgun only zones

LloydXmas250
12-01-2010, 8:57 AM
my problem is i cant find shooting maps for any other areas. it seems like SB is the only one that has a map of their shotgun only zones

It's up to the county. San B has the most area to shoot in so that's probably why they do it. I think at Bass Pro Shop they might sell a map of Riverside county.