PDA

View Full Version : Quit beating on the houndsman

bigboarstopper
11-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Im sick of people beating up on the poor guy who posted his hunt on the 450lb bear. Numerous of you have crapped all over him in regards to the dog that died during the hunt. In your defence I will assume that your simply ignorant to the subject of hunting dogs and hounds. Im reposting my last reply to that post. Please feel free to post here to either get an education or attempt to trump me on the subject. I hope to have a logical constructive conversation. If your not a hater lets just talk hounds.

bigboarstopper
11-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Im just flat out amased by some of the responces. I really dont know what to say. I think we are probabally going to be the last generation in this state to be able to hunt by what ive read above. Im baffled by how removed we have become from the days where hunting was just another american passtime.

Has anybody ever read "where the red fern grows"? Its one of the first books I can remember reading. I read it over and over. I have owned many good hunting hounds over the years. Some of my fondest memories in life have been spent in the field chasing those hounds. Some of my worst memories have been spent in those fields carying those hounds back to my truck. Do I think my hounds are just tools? HELL NO! Do I love them? HELL YES!

Its a different kind of love I will admit. Why is it different? Because I know my dogs better than anybody who simply has a dog for a pet like I said before. People who just have dogs for pets dont know their animals like we do. Hows that? Because I know what my dogs want in life to be fulfilled. Does the adverage pet dog know what its purpose in life is? Do you know what your pet dog wants? Is it just love? Its not..... It wants a fulfiling purpose. Does it know that its there simply to fetch, cuddle and bark when the doorbells rings? I know what makes my dogs happy. I know they love it when the dog box opens and they come pouring out. I know they love it when they refuse to leave a hot track after a long day of hunting. The love is different because I know what they truly love and love what to do.

All I know is that I have shared some adventures with those dogs that can never be recreated. The good ones. The great ones, and the very bad ones. Theres nothing greater to me than watching a young dog figure out its very first track, run it and turn it into a race.

I can completely understand how somone who has never seen this think differently of this kind of hunting. YOU, the person who hasnt spent days in the woods hiking, bonding, teaching, failing, succeding with these dogs have no clue as to what this all about. You never will. Feel free to pass judgement once youve attempted to do something like this.

YOU CANNOT simply take your pet dog, go into the woods and catch game. Your pet dog wont do it. Your pet dog wouldnt understand what a "pack" is. It couldnt relate to the other dogs. Its so far removed from what its supposed to naturally already know that it would simply get beat up by the other dogs or just cry to get back into the truck.

I love my dogs. They are NOT pets. They live for these adventures. They live for these hunts. I simply introduce them to their desires, instincts, natural abilities and talent. The rest is up to them to wether they want to or not.

bballwizard05
11-29-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't hunt, other than squirrels (damn things). However I completely understand hunting, why people do it, and I can see how fun it is (from the squirrel hunting) I just can't bring myself to kill something of size that I won't use.

As I read through that thread... I started thinking of alot of people I know that have dogs that do nothing. Two dogs relegated to the back yard, rarely played with, and just lay around with each other. If I were a dog, would I prefer that or chasing things which is my instinctual nature. I'm sure the dog comprehends instinctually that there is danger in chasing larger creatures than it.

So my own conclusion was that I feel sorry for the dog, but my guess is other than its last moments, it was having a blast, and if given the choice (obviously we'll never now for sure) I would bet it would choose a life of chase and outdoor hunting over chillin in a back yard.

guns4life
11-29-2010, 11:27 PM
:beatdeadhorse5:

TrailerparkTrash
11-29-2010, 11:35 PM
People that don't understand the use of hunting dogs and the art of being a "houndsman" will never get it. To the OP, you just have to realize that more and more people get more crazed if the see a puppy phyically abused than seeing a small human child being physically abused. That's just a fact. It disgusts me, but that's the facts.

Hunting dogs are used as a tool. They've been used as hunting tools for a few thousand years. I hope the art continues into my future great grandchildren's lives.

duckman1
11-30-2010, 4:18 AM
Well said, I don't anyone with a hunting dog or hound that doesn't love and take care of their animal. Sometimes things go bad and accidents happen it's just the way it is.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-30-2010, 7:44 AM
Not my thing but I still respect hound hunters. I use hounds when I go back to MO for coons.

HiPower823
11-30-2010, 7:48 AM
I'm getting tired of people beating up that guy too.

RobG
11-30-2010, 8:00 AM
Don't waste your time trying to explain yourself. Those of us that hunt get it. Remember, you are in Kalifornia. Gun owners or not, many on this site as well as other sites, are nothing more than typical elitist Kalifornians that think they know whats best for the rest of "us."

lewdogg21
11-30-2010, 8:24 AM

Same here.

chickenfried
11-30-2010, 8:35 AM
I blame disney movies...

PatriotnMore
11-30-2010, 8:54 AM
I blame disney movies...

They certainly contribute to many of the falsities of animal life as it is, vs. the Lion King world they fabricate. The other problem is Dogs are like children in many homes, they are simply part of the family, not a working dog who is born, bred, and used for a specific purpose.

I stayed away from the thread after reading some of the posts, but again, opinions are like A holes, we all have them.

Vtec44
11-30-2010, 10:03 AM
I blame disney movies...

and PETA.

CACitUP
11-30-2010, 4:12 PM
I think you guys all deserve a collective hug, maybe we can arrange some counseling for all of you.........

:)

thukidad
11-30-2010, 6:29 PM
You get it or you don't.. lay off the man

gimebakmybulits
11-30-2010, 6:34 PM
It's the same thing for sled dogs, people that have never seen a team hitched to a sled just itching to run their hearts out for something they love almost more than food ....just won't get it. All they can think of (the PETA types) is how cruel, but cruel is the dog left out back never to pull again.

Tanner68
11-30-2010, 7:12 PM
I read and reread Where the Red Fern Grows when I was a kid. It's a great book.

For all who criticize houndsmen.... becoming a rifleman does not take nearly as much time, dedication, fortitude, knowledge or skill, as what it takes to build and maintain a pack of quality hound dogs.

I tip my hat to any houndsmen. You have chosen another weapon, that yields a much more satisfying reward. Anyone can shoot a bear. But to build a pack of hounds demonstrates so much more character. The dogs become the focus and the gun becomes just an accessory to fulfill the ultimate objective.

I rue the day when hound hunting becomes so marginalized that it becomes a lost craft in America. Please, let's do all we can to maintain our heritage and tradition.

If hound hunting is lost, then what will hound dogs be worth? Will you judge them only for how well they prance around in the show ring? How else will you measure their scenting ability, grit, and real worth as a hound, but through a genuine trial.

I've written enough for the moment. Another shot of whiskey will do.

Hunt
11-30-2010, 7:20 PM
wish I had the money to buy some lion hounds

Abesnake
11-30-2010, 7:46 PM
I read and reread Where the Red Fern Grows when I was a kid. It's a great book.

For all who criticize houndsmen.... becoming a rifleman does not take nearly as much time, dedication, fortitude, knowledge or skill, as what it takes to build and maintain a pack of quality hound dogs.

I tip my hat to any houndsmen. You have chosen another weapon, that yields a much more satisfying reward. Anyone can shoot a bear. But to build a pack of hounds demonstrates so much more character. The dogs become the focus and the gun becomes just an accessory to fulfill the ultimate objective.

I rue the day when hound hunting becomes so marginalized that it becomes a lost craft in America. Please, let's do all we can to maintain our heritage and tradition.

If hound hunting is lost, then what will hound dogs be worth? Will you judge them only for how well they prance around in the show ring? How else will you measure their scenting ability, grit, and real worth as a hound, but through a genuine trial.

I've written enough for the moment. Another shot of whiskey will do.

Sad but true my friend. I hear they have abandoned Fox hunting in England. I guess we know what that means for their hounds. As far as the bear story is concerned; to all of those who got their exercise from screaming I say: I've never seen a statue of a critic in the park.

bigboarstopper
11-30-2010, 8:56 PM
That was well said Tanner. I was thinking of another point about hunting with dogs that I thought I would point out.

Not too many people have ever thought of this but hunting with hounds is the only "catch an release" kind of hunting possible that I can think of. I hunt hogs with my dogs mostly and we usually kill anything over a hundred pounds. Sometimes we will bay a wet or pregnant sow or catch something smaller and we will call the dogs off. Every year I also run hounds (other peoples hounds) for bear, bobcats, lion (nevada) and coons. I havent killed or seen a bear get killed in at least the last dozen times we have treed one.

Most of the guys that I hunt bears with dont kill them. One of the best bear hunters I know hasnt shot a bear in over 5 years. He runs his hounds every weekend during the season and trees more bears a year then most of us combind will ever see in a lifetime.

180ls1
11-30-2010, 9:00 PM
Also i would venture to say that people who use dogs are quite a bit more successful at recovering game, both big and small. So when they want to talk down on a dog dying they might want to examine how many animals they have left in the field because of not being able to find it.

It bothered me this past quail hunt that we lost some birds because we just had to put down my dog (Conrad, he was a Vizsla) who was my hunting companion and very effective at finding the game both living and dead.

1st5
11-30-2010, 11:28 PM
I use my Ridgebacks for hunting. You can tell it is in their blood and they'd rather be doing that than anything else in the world. I haven't "taught" them anything other than "hunt", "stop" and some recall whistles. They figured the rest out themselves. I'd like to teach them more but they seem to know it already. The best day I've seen so far is when my big male and I were looking for a hog we saw run into the oaks and madrones on the ranch. I was looking in the wrong place and my dog was saying...hey, dummy, he's over here...hey, over here...and he finally gave up on me and went and flushed the hog, chased it down, caught it and held it's nose in the dirt by the ear when I came up to shoot it. When I came up the hog was squealing to high heaven. As soon as the dog saw me he released and ran out of range so I could shoot the hog. Great hunt.
My Ridgebacks run deer, hogs and hunt quail. If they got hurt or killed I'd be beside myself but I can't deny them what it is to be themselves anymore than I can deny my instinct to hunt. I could very well have an accident and die out in the field as well as my dogs. No difference.
Heck, these dogs were bred to bay lions at one time. They've forgotten more about hunting than I could teach them, instictively speaking.

GuyW
12-01-2010, 12:01 AM

...maybe he'll turn the dogs loose on them...

nbkvig2
12-01-2010, 10:03 PM
To the OP, you just have to realize that more and more people get more crazed if the see a puppy phyically abused than seeing a small human child being physically abused.

I'm totally pro-hunting with the aide of dogs as I have somewhat of a working breed myself; so I understand the need to satisfy their desire which makes them more happy than ever. But with all due respect, your claim from the above quote is is quite far-fetched.

Toast
12-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't get why taking a hunting dog out to do what it's bred and naturally wants to do is cruel. Is it more cruel then having a dog that serves no purpose other then lay/walk around a yard and eat food all day? I have never hunted (but I would love to), but I get it. People forget that dogs aren't people, and that they love to run and hunt, it's in their blood.

pieeater
12-02-2010, 8:19 AM
There was a video of a muslim girl being stoned to death that came out same day as the girl chucking puppys into the river. Guess which one made world news and which one didnt.

I'm totally pro-hunting with the aide of dogs as I have somewhat of a working breed myself; so I understand the need to satisfy their desire which makes them more happy than ever. But with all due respect, your claim from the above quote is is quite far-fetched.