View Full Version : Crow Hunting in the non-lead zone: ammo?

11-29-2010, 8:06 PM
My hunting buddy and I are looking into starting crow hunting this upcoming season.

I'm a little uncertain on the ammo, and searching around hasn't given me definitive answer.

Do we need to use non-lead ammo for crows here in the non-lead zone? I'm assuming 99% of the hunting we will be doing will fall in this zone.

Thanks in advance for your input! :D:D

11-29-2010, 8:18 PM
yes you will need non leaded ammo. Personally i would use duck loads or vary similar, as long as it is like 4 or 2 show dont get into anything bigger then that. Now which loads its up to you, and how much you want to spend.

11-29-2010, 9:12 PM
I had to look up the regs. on Crows and it seems Crows are listed as a non game bird and therefore fall under the Condor area regulations for non lead ammo under section 475(f) of the code (taking non game bird and Mammals in the Condor range).

So, I would recommend steel Duck loads. I would pickup 2 3/4" or 3" number 4 steel shot.

I prefer the 3" 1-1/8 oz. in the fast loads,1500 F.P.S. You can find the shells at Wal-Mart in the Winchester Xpert brand about $10.00 a box. If you want to get a little more range, get the 3#'s. Use an I.C or Modified choke.

If you prefer the 2-3/4" shells, you can get the steel Xperts in 1-1/16 or 1-1/8 oz. loads. Shot size 4's or 3's. I don't think #6 steel would be too good past 35 yards. I like shooting #6 lead for Crows and when you switch to steel, you usually go up two shot sizes to get the equivalent killing power.

When I shoot steel for birds the size of Crows, I like the high speed stuff. The fastest you can get.

11-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Duck loads as posted above and I also keep some long range Hevi-Shot #5s handy for the spooked birds that want to stay just out of what they think is your range. They are a little more expensive but HS smokes em out passed 40 yards nicely.