PDA

View Full Version : So if anyone remembers about my L1A1. . . UPDATED WITH PICS

ETD1010
11-29-2010, 3:43 PM
I had it in pieces to paint for so long that I wasn't sure if I could get it back together. And THAT was a while ago.

Anyway, long story short, I got a schematic from a regular FAL (thanks to a fellow member's link) and I got it back together.......... but with a few spare parts. Mostly washers, but there is one pin from something. Now, there IS a chance another part from another gun got mixed in with these. I was wondering if anyone had any L1A1 schematics or variations to at least TRY and figure out where they went. The washers are about 3/8" diameter and I can't really see where they would go except on the buttplate, but I already have those washers. . . :confused::confused::confused::confused:

SJgunguy24
11-29-2010, 3:53 PM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

they have schematics for damn near anything

wash
11-29-2010, 3:56 PM
Just a wild guess but are the washers supposed to fill the carry handle cut (without the handle)?

I would have to see pictures to guess on the pin.

ETD1010
11-29-2010, 5:28 PM
Just a wild guess but are the washers supposed to fill the carry handle cut (without the handle)?

I would have to see pictures to guess on the pin.

I don't think so because this rifle was taken apart from a fully assembled, operational weapon. . .

thedrickel
11-29-2010, 9:21 PM
They could be an improvised flash hider key, and the pin for it?

ETD1010
11-29-2010, 9:38 PM
Never removed the flash hider.. :-\ I'll post a pic if I can.

FTC
11-29-2010, 11:24 PM
maybe a pin for the gas tube or charging handle?

http://www.dsarms.com/pdf/FAL-SA58-SquematicPDF.pdf

Ryan in SD
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
LOL

Hope you get it all sorted out.

wash
11-30-2010, 8:39 AM
I don't think so because this rifle was taken apart from a fully assembled, operational weapon. . .
Does it have a carry handle installed?

Did you take out the gas tube nut from the upper receiver?

I still can't tell without photos.

The gas tube pin idea sounds reasonable, I forgot that it uses a little pin there. I think the takedown latch also uses a pin or two.

ETD1010
11-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I'll have to double check my gas tube as I don't remember a pin beign placed when I put it back together.. here are the photos of the remaining parts. I KNOW the left had set is part of the buffer spring assembly, but since that's kind of a pain to put in, I'm saving it to make sure nothing was left out. . . Thanks so much for your help guys..

And I used the SA58 schematic for what I DID install. didn't see a pin in the gas tube though....

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/ETD1010/PB300110.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/ETD1010/PB300111.jpg

wash
11-30-2010, 12:38 PM
The spring on the upper right hand side looks like it might be part of a G1 flash hider but it might be too small, the scale is hard to estimate.

The pin with the flange might be the #75 in the DSA pdf, a part of the takedown latch.

I have no idea on the washers, my guess of a carry handle gap filler is not correct.

The small pin might be part #14 from the gas tube or the pin from the rear swivel maybe.

One other area to check could be the bolt hold open, it should have a pin that gets pushed up by the magazine follower to hold the bolt back when empty, if the pin isn't there, that might be it.

Good luck getting it back together.

ETD1010
11-30-2010, 3:26 PM
You were right about #75 AND & #14. It didn't even occur to me that #14 was the pin because I saw the one in FRONT of it, and thought it goes there... thank you!!

As for the other parts.... I have a feeling that part in the upper right is a retaining clip of some sort... but I'm still very confused....

The spring on the upper right hand side looks like it might be part of a G1 flash hider but it might be too small, the scale is hard to estimate.

The pin with the flange might be the #75 in the DSA pdf, a part of the takedown latch.

I have no idea on the washers, my guess of a carry handle gap filler is not correct.

The small pin might be part #14 from the gas tube or the pin from the rear swivel maybe.

One other area to check could be the bolt hold open, it should have a pin that gets pushed up by the magazine follower to hold the bolt back when empty, if the pin isn't there, that might be it.

Good luck getting it back together.

ETD1010
11-30-2010, 3:32 PM
ooh! I think I found where that retaining clip goes... RIGHT behind the adjustable gas thing to keep it from sliding off....It fits every so snugly, and keeps it in place... why it's not on this particular schematic?? I dunno. Maybe the hand guards add some extra protection.

wash
11-30-2010, 3:37 PM
Well yours is an L1A1 which is an inch FAL, DSA makes metric FALs and there are differences.

If you have one of the folding trigger guard pistol grips that might explain some of the other parts.

I've never owned an inch FAL so I can't help much with inch specific parts.

thedrickel
12-01-2010, 7:24 PM
The spring on the top right is definitely the gas regulator retaining spring, u have it in the right spot. It's not on the DSA schematic cause it's an inch-only parts. I don't recognize the 3 washers, I haven't spent that much time with my inch guns/kits.

ETD1010
12-02-2010, 8:26 PM
well, I got her all back together now.. she function tests fine. I have a feeling the smaller thin washers MAY have been shims for my trigger group... didn't feel like taken the lower down to verify or not, and there is no wiggle as of now... SO.... I can check that out at a later time. As for that larger washer, i gave up.

Thanks again for all the help :)

jamesob
12-02-2010, 10:11 PM
do those washers go on the screw on cap for the recoil spring?

ETD1010
12-02-2010, 11:04 PM
do those washers go on the screw on cap for the recoil spring?

If you look at the picture, that assembly is on the left. It already has a large washer so I don't think so. But i can't be certain as I took it apart a very long time ago. I still have an inkling that they may be shims of some sort.

jamesob
12-03-2010, 9:13 AM
i have a l1a1 and i will check it out tonight to see if i see any washers like that.

GM4spd
12-06-2010, 3:23 AM
That SMALL pin at 4 oclock is your gas tube pin--you NEED it in the proper
place or you will have a SINGLE SHOT FAL (as your gas system will not work
right.) It's number #324 in the diagram. If you need anymore INCH info--I'm not an expert but getting close!!:DPete

INCH FALs forever

http://www.fototime.com/8DA8250605EF954/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/189584F895F52D1/standard.jpg