PDA

View Full Version : I want a Ruger Charger. Is it banned?

cyrus
11-29-2010, 2:17 PM
I want a Ruger Charger. Is it banned?

If it is - oh please this is retarded.

CSACANNONEER
11-29-2010, 2:20 PM
In it's original configuration it is considered an AW under Ca laws. However, all you need to do is make a BB for it and have it sent to your FFL as a single shot pistol. So, no it is not "banned" but, it can be an AW and it is definately off roster. But, it is possible to legally get one into Ca.

Merc1138
11-29-2010, 2:20 PM
Centerfire isn't specified for pistols, and the magazine of the charger isn't in the grip. You can't have one in California because it's an "assault weapon".

CSACANNONEER
11-29-2010, 2:22 PM
Centerfire isn't specified for pistols, and the magazine of the charger isn't in the grip. You can't have one in California because it's an "assault weapon".

WRONG! It's no different than all the AK and AR type of handguns now being sold in CA!

Merc1138
11-29-2010, 2:26 PM
WRONG! It's no different than all the AK and AR type of handguns now being sold in CA!

Wrong? How so? Unless there's a charger(or 10/22) mag lock that I'm unaware of, you can't have one because of the magazine location. I'd call that different than AK and AR pistols. Unless you were to epoxy the magazine in place or something, have fun trying to topload that.

edit: Hell, your own post in this thread calls the stock charger an AW as defined by California law. Take your "WRONG!" and .... Don't say I'm wrong when we posted the same thing at the same time.

edited again: Realized how irritated I was when I had originally re-read the post, then adjusted it accordingly. Still applies though as far as I'm concerned. I mean seriously man, you scream "WRONG!" at someone who posted the same thing you did?

cyrus
11-29-2010, 2:36 PM
ahhh... so legal or no?

Merc1138
11-29-2010, 2:43 PM
ahhh... so legal or no?

For you to buy off the shelf? No. You'd need an FFL to somehow add a magazine lock. The single shot part is easy; magazine lock fabrication not so much, and you'd still be stuck with the magazine lock. The single shot modification is only for the handgun roster and has nothing to do with the AW status of the charger.

MongooseV8
11-29-2010, 3:04 PM
The problem is the Charger is classified as a pistol, and in CA all semi pistols must have the mag located in the grip housing. I know its stupid and doesnt really have any reason to be included in a law, but welcome to kalifornia.

I really wanted one too, but I was forced to buy a super awesome Ruger Mark III Competition Target model instead :rolleyes:

CSACANNONEER
11-29-2010, 6:13 PM
Wrong? How so? Unless there's a charger(or 10/22) mag lock that I'm unaware of, you can't have one because of the magazine location. I'd call that different than AK and AR pistols. Unless you were to epoxy the magazine in place or something, have fun trying to topload that.

edit: Hell, your own post in this thread calls the stock charger an AW as defined by California law. Take your "WRONG!" and .... Don't say I'm wrong when we posted the same thing at the same time.

edited again: Realized how irritated I was when I had originally re-read the post, then adjusted it accordingly. Still applies though as far as I'm concerned. I mean seriously man, you scream "WRONG!" at someone who posted the same thing you did?

No, you did not post the same thing as me. While I agree that the pistol in question would be an AW in it's original configuration, it can be brought into the state as a single shot by fixing a sled in the mag well. I do know of one member her who has designed and manufactured his own BB for a 10-22 based handgun. Your initial post just says "You can't have one in California because it's an "assault weapon"." I say that you were CLEARLY WRONG since, they can be made into a non-AW relatively easily. Hell, many off roster handguns are coming into the state which require much more work to allow them to qualify under the single shot exemption. The barrel length and overall dimensions of the Charger don't have to be messed with at all. I must have missed where, in your initial post, you stated "Just add a mag lock and a sled and it's perfectly legal in Ca. and, once purchased, it can be "converted" into a semi auto with a ten round fixed mag."

The problem is the Charger is classified as a pistol, and in CA all semi pistols must have the mag located in the grip housing. I know its stupid and doesnt really have any reason to be included in a law, but welcome to kalifornia.

I really wanted one too, but I was forced to buy a super awesome Ruger Mark III Competition Target model instead :rolleyes:

I guess you don't understand that you CAN have a semi auto handgun with a 10 round or less FIXED magazine in CA and it would not be classified as an AW.

davedog01
11-29-2010, 6:32 PM
Just like my new GSG-5 pistol. Thanks PRK Arms! I'd give them a call.

Merc1138
11-29-2010, 6:57 PM
I must have missed where, in your initial post, you stated "Just add a mag lock and a sled and it's perfectly legal in Ca. and, once purchased, it can be "converted" into a semi auto with a ten round fixed mag.".

Well I must have missed where you've stated the OP can get a mag lock. Still waiting.

"Sure, it's legal if you get this non-existent part!" is not helpful to the OP.

CSACANNONEER
11-29-2010, 7:32 PM
Well I must have missed where you've stated the OP can get a mag lock. Still waiting.

"Sure, it's legal if you get this non-existent part!" is not helpful to the OP.

To quote Santa, "They do exist!" While they may or may not be comercially available, they have been made and they are in use in CA.

To answer the OP's question, No, they are not "banned" in Ca anymore than AR or AK pistols are. It wasn't long ago that there were no commercially produced mag locks of any kind! I remember seeing one of the first OLL rifles that was built. It had a homemade mag lock on it.

CSACANNONEER
11-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Here's another thread about this.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3712692

Just a little more evidence that maglocks do exist and Chargers are not completly "banned" in Ca.

cqbdude
11-30-2010, 3:25 PM
I love my Ruger Mark II pistol...:2guns:

MongooseV8
11-30-2010, 3:33 PM
I guess you don't understand that you CAN have a semi auto handgun with a 10 round or less FIXED magazine in CA and it would not be classified as an AW.

Oooh that sounds like so much fun having to load through the chamber on a charger! Did I post something that wasnt true, that you felt you needed to add that?

rromeo
11-30-2010, 3:40 PM
Both you and merc have implied that it is not legal to own in California. While that is true of the factory configuration, CSA has mentioned a way to bypass the restriction and own one in the state.

ke6guj
11-30-2010, 4:05 PM
Oooh that sounds like so much fun having to load through the chamber on a charger!

who said you had to load it through the chamber? If the Charger had a maglock similiar to how a bullet button works, you could remove the magazine with a tool, refill the magazine and then re-install it.

Merc1138
11-30-2010, 4:12 PM
who said you had to load it through the chamber? If the Charger had a maglock similiar to how a bullet button works, you could remove the magazine with a tool, refill the magazine and then re-install it.

And again, where is that 10/22 mag lock at? Who sells it?

How is telling someone to go get a non-existent product, a solution to the AW problem of the charger?

ke6guj
11-30-2010, 4:25 PM
CSA said to make one. He also linked to a thread where it was mentioned that a CG'er might be making one.

The point that CSA and I are making is that you shouldn't talk in absolutes and say that the Charger is illegal, and you can't have one. If you want to do the legwork and configure it into a CA-legal config, you can have one.

Same for other wierd stuff, like the Judge. A stock Judge is illegal in CA, but if you really wanted one, you could get one set up in a CA-legal config, and do the paperwork to get it. Is it easy, no, but it isn't impossible.

Merc1138
11-30-2010, 4:51 PM
CSA said to make one. He also linked to a thread where it was mentioned that a CG'er might be making one.

The point that CSA and I are making is that you shouldn't talk in absolutes and say that the Charger is illegal, and you can't have one. If you want to do the legwork and configure it into a CA-legal config, you can have one.

Same for other wierd stuff, like the Judge. A stock Judge is illegal in CA, but if you really wanted one, you could get one set up in a CA-legal config, and do the paperwork to get it. Is it easy, no, but it isn't impossible.

I wasn't speaking in absolutes. I stated a fact.

You cannot have a charger in CA because it's an "assault weapon". This is true, and has not changed yet.

Getting some guy to make a 10/22 magazine lock and modifying the things, isn't the same as just going and buying a charger, and you still need to keep the non-existent magazine lock in place.

FFS, even the rimfire gallery section(why is this thread even in here?) can't be free of the stupid pics and capslock text. Seriously makes me wonder why I bother with this damn forum sometimes.

ke6guj
11-30-2010, 4:58 PM
ok, bye.

CSACANNONEER
11-30-2010, 5:45 PM
Oooh that sounds like so much fun having to load through the chamber on a charger! Did I post something that wasnt true, that you felt you needed to add that?

Like Jack said, you can produce a mag lock that allows the mag to be detached only with the use of a tool. Then, you just load it like any otrher mag and snap it back into the gun. Have you ever heard of a "bullet button"? Bullet buttons are "mag locks" that make a gun into a "fixed mag" configuration.

And again, where is that 10/22 mag lock at? Who sells it?

How is telling someone to go get a non-existent product, a solution to the AW problem of the charger?

Again, while not produced commercially, 10-22 mag locks do exist. You've been around here long enough to understand that many handguns are being modified for sales in Ca. It is getting very common. As far as the comercial production of mag locks go, when all types of OLLs and off roster handguns started coming into the state, there were no commercial mag locks of any kind. You should open your mind a little and realize that just 6 years ago, there were no mag locks but, a few inteligent OG calgunners were able to get the whole OLL thing going and each one manufactured their own mag lock for their rifles. You can either just be another sheeple or you can have a little vision and be the one who leads the Charger pack by designing and building 10-22 mag locks for comercial sale. So, which one are you going to be? Or, are you just going to continue spreading WRONG information?:p

Merc1138
11-30-2010, 5:49 PM
Like Jack said, you can produce a mag lock that allows the mag to be detached only with the use of a tool. Then, you just load it like any otrher mag and snap it back into the gun. Have you ever heard of a "bullet button"? Bullet buttons are "mag locks" that make a gun into a "fixed mag" configuration.

Again, while not produced commercially, 10-22 mag locks do exist. You've been around here long enough to understand that many handguns are being modified for sales in Ca. It is getting very common. As far as the comercial production of mag locks go, when all types of OLLs and off roster handguns started coming into the state, there were no commercial mag locks of any kind. You should open your mind a little and realize that just 6 years ago, there were no mag locks but, a few inteligent OG calgunners were able to get the whole OLL thing going and each one manufactured their own mag lock for their rifles. You can either just be another sheeple or you can have a little vision and be the one who leads the Charger pack by designing and building 10-22 mag locks for comercial sale. So, which one are you going to be? Or, are you just going to continue spreading WRONG information?:p

So you're going to tell someone to make their own mag lock for something they don't have to even have in their hands take measurements of, then ship that maglock to an FFL for them to install? You don't see the problem with that? Now a 10/22 maglock would possibly fit, but due to the difference in the stock, I wouldn't immediately say that's a guarantee.

ke6guj
11-30-2010, 6:06 PM
our point is that it isn't impossible to get a Charger in CA. Just saying that "you can't have one" is a simple viewpoint. You just have to want to do it, and be willing to do the legwork to do it. Having an out-of-state FFL/seller willing to work with you is key. But if you want one, and are willing to work at it, you can. No different than getting an AR-pistol in CA or something like an LCP, XDm, HK45, etc. You have to put in some effort to get one legally, but you can get one. So, saying that you can't get one is wrong.

Just make one that fits your 10/22 rifle and it should mount right up to a Ruger Charger. Not sure what issues you'd have with stock differences.

Roccobro
11-30-2010, 7:56 PM
Second? Are you referring to the other thread about mounting scopes to ak47 dust covers? You were the one that wasn't even aware of how the beryl rail was attached and I had to post an image for you.

Yes, this is the second thread (just today) you were wrong in your answers "scoto the OP question. It had NOTHING to do with "scopes" or your picture posted AFTER I told you to stop reading between the lines. Just like here. Stop making everything so difficult and you won't be crying about "why do I bother posting here." Stick to the OP's post and you'll not look silly arguing with experts like CSA and Jack.

Just like the other thread, to the OP, go to the Gunsmithing section. Less FUD, less immaturity, and more helpful answers.

If your dead set on buying a Charger CA legal (for less than $400), Give me a PM. I am willing to get you one LEGALLY into CA a couple of different ways.

Justin

Merc1138
11-30-2010, 9:01 PM
Yes, this is the second thread (just today) you were wrong in your answers "scoto the OP question. It had NOTHING to do with "scopes" or your picture posted AFTER I told you to stop reading between the lines. Just like here. Stop making everything so difficult and you won't be crying about "why do I bother posting here." Stick to the OP's post and you'll not look silly arguing with experts like CSA and Jack.

Just like the other thread, to the OP, go to the Gunsmithing section. Less FUD, less immaturity, and more helpful answers.

If your dead set on buying a Charger CA legal (for less than $400), Give me a PM. I am willing to get you one LEGALLY into CA a couple of different ways.

Justin

So you still haven't explained why you keep bringing up other threads in this one, that have nothing to do with what's being discussed here.

If you know how to get the guy a charger fine, but I don't consider "well just go buy a 10/22, fabricate a mag lock, cross your fingers and hope it fits" to be an acceptable answer to the problem. Hell, I'm sure I could make one pretty easily with a little effort, I just don't have the charger to do it with. Apparently the riddle about the chicken and the egg is a foreign concept to you.

Roccobro
11-30-2010, 9:09 PM
And I have now been contacted by someone making the 10/22 maglocks. I will be bringing in a Charger or two.

Funny how some people just can't admit they are wrong and then STFU.

Justin

Merc1138
11-30-2010, 9:11 PM
Care to provide us with who that person is so anyone can contact them without having to PM you and deal with your rude attitude? If you can't figure out how you're being rude, maybe you should consider that you're the only one that's told anyone to "STFU".

lorax3
11-30-2010, 9:11 PM
Funny how some people just can't admit they are wrong and then STFU.

That's enough of comments like that. The question in the OP has been answered.