PDA

View Full Version : best bore cleaning for old abused mil surps

SVT_Fox
11-29-2010, 9:42 AM
Not the otis, I saw one that scrubbed and ran an oil soaked rag through it at the same time, just one run and she was like new.

What do all you guys use..

I'm still using the ten dollor hoppes kit with patch after patch. Its messy and time consuming

Someguy925
11-29-2010, 9:52 AM
Good old Ed's Red (w/o acetone)

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

iareConfusE
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Hoppes solvent and Birchwood Casey Copper & Nitro Fouling Remover. Let the solvents soak for 10 minutes and run a patch through. After I get most of the copper fouling out I like to wet a patch with solvent and wrap it around the brush portion of my boresnake and pull it through. Extra friction and contact space that the patch provides gives it a really good scrub. You can get quite a lot of the black out of some really dirty barrels.

rjf
11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
best bore cleaning for old abused mil surps

Brush and patch to get the crude out.

Put 20 or so FMJ rounds down range and clean again.

Should look shiney and new unless there is pitting.

Vlad 11
11-29-2010, 11:04 AM
If i had only one bore cleaner to use i would chose Butch Bore Shine. The stuff is awesome. But if i encounter a really bad bore i will 'throw the book at it' and use all 10 -12 cleaners that i have, as each one seems to have its niche for different types of fouling. Now the way to really get down to the nitty gritty is to use an electronic bore cleaners. I'm always amazed at the crap that bubbles out during the process, even after i have scrubbed the **** out of the bore conventionally. It will loosen old fouling out of any pits that a brush just cant get to. And, as rjf stated , sometimes the FMJ treatment is needed to loosen the residual fouling up.

DArBad
11-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Good old Ed's Red (w/o acetone)

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

This^^^^^^^. Its really very effective, and I also did not use the acetone. In addition, since I cannot find the " lanolin " component, I replaced it with pure Vaseline.

I made my batch over the Thanksgiving holiday, try it, and I think, like me, you will be a believer too:)

uxo2
11-29-2010, 11:20 AM
ballistol

t0kie
11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
I use Eliminator Bore Cleaner by Bore Tech:
http://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml
________
Wiki vaporizer (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

Reductio
11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Love this stuff, or the foaming one. Just let it sit in there for a bit and do its work...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=112089

Interloper
11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
That foaming stuff works pretty good but I tend to use it all up way faster than a bottle of Hoppe's No.9.
Also, it ate a little BBQ paint off my SKS so watch out! :eek:

OpenSightsOnly
11-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Bronze brush and run a Kroil-soaked patch. That will loosen the dried stuff in the bore.

If the bore is pitted, well, there may be hope . . .

Still, its fun to clean, after a long day at work

Divernhunter
11-29-2010, 4:10 PM
I use different ones but always Wipe-Out and Sweets 7.62. I also use tetra-gun, kroil oil and kroil oil /shooters choice(50% each), blue wonder and a couple of other ones but never hoppies#9 as it is a waste of time and effort. I use patches(buy them in 500-1000+ lots) and brushes including stainless steel ones if needed.

TNP'R
11-29-2010, 8:04 PM
i use hoppes 9

five.five-six
11-29-2010, 8:08 PM
That foaming stuff works pretty good but I tend to use it all up way faster than a bottle of Hoppe's No.9.
Also, it ate a little BBQ paint off my SKS so watch out! :eek:

yep, that foaming stuff does the trick every time, almost no work at all

Dr.Mauser
11-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I dont have any solvents, what should I use to clean my rifle? I have NOTHING at all. Windex? 409?

Divernhunter
11-30-2010, 1:01 AM
Buy wipe-out, sweets 7.62 and shooters choice or tetra-gun. Then buy tetra-gun oil. I like to wipe the outside with Inhibitor oil.

Household cleaners are not designed for firearms. Well windex is good at the range for anything shooting corrosive ammo.

CEDaytonaRydr
11-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Dexron III/Mercon... ;)

Vlad 11
11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
I dont have any solvents, what should I use to clean my rifle? I have NOTHING at all. Windex? 409?

Originally Posted by Dr.Mauser
"I want these Karabiners clean. I want them spotless! I want them so clean, that somebody will still be using them sixty years from today."

Hmmm...409 and Windex wont even get you to 6 days

TRAP55
11-30-2010, 2:49 PM
Brush and patch to get the crude out.

Put 20 or so FMJ rounds down range and clean again.

Should look shiney and new unless there is pitting.
Best method I've found too!

Interloper
11-30-2010, 4:35 PM
You know what works pretty well...Run the brush through dry a bunch of times. Do your normal cleaning routine, run a few dry patches, then dry brush the heck out of it again. Sometimes you need a scouring action more than a solvent.
I've also wrapped an undersized jag in steel wool and pushed it down bore. Really gets the "frost" out of the grooves.

OpenSightsOnly
11-30-2010, 4:41 PM

Hot water, soap (dawn or mountain spring tide), and 409.

Then oil the bore.

knucklehead0202
11-30-2010, 5:35 PM
Hoppe's No.9 is my old standby, but i had a tough one recently that i plugged and squirted some Kroil down. let it sit a while then swabbed it out. looks new inside! i will now and forever have a bottle of Kroil right next to my bottle of Hoppe's. really got all the crap off the front of the cylinder on my 686 too. Kroil is good stuff.

snafu510
01-18-2011, 10:24 AM
If the bore is really dirty I like to start with Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Let it soak a while. I use a new bore brush and then patches on a brass jag. Sometimes the patches will come out blue from the copper fouling. If they are black wait for them to dry and see if they turn blue. If the patches turn blue there is significant copper fouling. For that I use Wipe-Out - also a foam. I usually let it sit overnight.

I have a Garand with some pitting that can take 3 applications of Wipe-Out to get all the copper out.

dustoff31
01-18-2011, 7:05 PM

Ballistol. Current manufacture made according to the original Wehrmacht (actually) Weimar issue, or at least as close as they can get.

Garp
01-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I take the barreled action, put a cork in the end of the barrel, stand it up on the cork, fill the barrel with brake kleen overnight. repeat til it comes out clean.

Stryfe76
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
If the bore is really dirty I like to start with Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Let it soak a while. I use a new bore brush and then patches on a brass jag. Sometimes the patches will come out blue from the copper fouling. If they are black wait for them to dry and see if they turn blue. If the patches turn blue there is significant copper fouling. For that I use Wipe-Out - also a foam. I usually let it sit overnight.

I have a Garand with some pitting that can take 3 applications of Wipe-Out to get all the copper out.

I like the gunslick foam! I foam the bore and wait 20min to overnight depending on what I have going on. Then I run a few dry patches through to clear most of the crud out, then I start the Hoppes No9 soaked patches until they come out a light grey on the patches. Then I swab a dripping patch back and forth a few times with a patch loop and let it soak awhile. If the bore looks chunky inside like the gunk is flaking off I'll run a nylon bore brush 10-20 passes to help break it up then back to the patches & hoppes once they start coming out grey I run a few dry patches through and then start over with the foam. I stop when all I can get is a light grey on the patches and switch to motor oil to rust proof. The foam turns royal blue with copper, Hoppes turns blue or green with copper, both turn black/dark grey with powder fouling.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-20-2011, 2:32 PM
Dexron III/Mercon... ;)

Although, "Type F" is a very close 2nd....