PDA

View Full Version : Every day I pass these on the way to work and think...

James R.
07-04-2006, 2:09 PM
wouldn't these make the ULTIMATE indoor rifle range :-(

Too bad the city of Irvine would NEVER entertain such usage, in fact at one point they were talking about simply tearing them down. They're supposedly the largest free standing wooden structures on Earth or some such. They're hangars which were part of the western costal defense system which used blimps to patrol the US's western seaboard. There's another pair in Oregon or Washington which were converted into an aerospace museum IIRC.

These on the other hand are unfortunately having a massive, "one million square foot entertainment and lifestyle facility" built up around them, read mega strip mall or some such.

Over 1100 feet long and 300 feet wide...no crosswinds to worry about in there.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/BlimpHangar.jpg

Regards,

James R.

James R.
07-04-2006, 2:37 PM
The only problem is that they're wood structures.

Here's a similar hangar on the east coast.
http://www.americanheritage.com/assets/images/articles/magazine/it/2006/1/2006_1_24a.jpg
Getting funding and insurance for a range built in one of those old hangars would be difficult even without the city's approval.

Insurance underwriters seem to think: firearms=fire; wooden structure=wood; wood+fire=burn. burn=bad risk.

Yeah, I dunno...trust me the city of Irvine would be a much larger hurdle. Apparently there used to be a target range (outdoor) that was just up against the hills. If it's still there I don't know about it. I wish and wish there was somewhere to shoot 100~200 yards that wasn't an hour drive away like Burro Canyon.

Regards,

James R.

glen avon
07-04-2006, 2:54 PM
the range was shut down because it conflicted with the toll road.

James R.
07-04-2006, 3:24 PM
the range was shut down because it conflicted with the toll road.

$@&*@# Toll Road, it ain't all that. Only thing I've noticed about it is people treat it like it's the freakin Autobahn or something. Just cause you pay to drive there doesn't mean you can drive 100 MPH :-P

Honestly we do need a closer range down here, c'mon. Do you know of any outdoor ranges that are closer than Burro? Private or otherwise, I wouldn't mind paying to join a range if it would save me a 2+ HR RT drive just to do a little shooting. The primary reason I don't get out to shoot as much as I should is that freaking drive...

Regards,

James R.