PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting

paradox
07-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking of getting into bowhunting. Any bowhunters out there with some good online or offline resources for learning about equipment and techniques?

HillBilly
07-04-2006, 2:52 PM
jesseshunting.com is the place to start...most people on there seem to be from CA, and it seems to be a nice bunch of folks. I just read and don't really post, but there is alot of good info for CA hunting of all types. I see you are up north...I have D6 tags burning a hole in my pocket!

I really wish we had more hunting/fishing comrades on Calguns...I need a scouting partner for D14!

tankerman
07-04-2006, 4:47 PM
Get properly fitted for a bow. Don't listen to all the hype about which bow is best,they all kill animals the same way. I started off with a compound bow but have now moved towards long bows. All the gadgets and crap that goes along with compound bows kind of turned me off to them, I still do shoot mine just not as frequently. Most bow hunters are VERY hardcore, you kind of have to be, deer or other large game animals don't usually walk with in bow range, you got to know what your doing. The problem with reading books or magazines on the subject is that they usually deal with eastern whitetail hunting, involving stands and corn fields and seeing many deer, not a common condition in CA.

The best book on deer hunting period is "The still hunter"
Theodore Van Dyke

While it is not specifically about bow hunting, it details habits and tactics and has much about blacktail and mule deer

BigMac
08-02-2006, 6:01 PM
I'm getting into Bow Hunting right now. I just got my first bow and am learning how to shoot it well.

The first time you sneek up on a deer that isn't spooked by lots of presure, your hooked. Bow hunting adds at least a month to my deer season. I get to hunt calm animals.. I dont worry about drunk firearms hunters shooting me ;)

I'm about to go get a shooters card at Archery unlimited and have them set my bow up for me. I need the draw lengthened, and I need some carbon arrows cut to length.

Mute
08-02-2006, 8:25 PM
Bowhunting.net is another good resource.

Scotto
08-02-2006, 10:44 PM
that video about the Guillotine arrows got me kinda interested in bow hunting. those things were pretty crazy!!!

Rob454
08-03-2006, 5:09 PM
Im selling a brand new Buckmaster bow. 12 brand new arrows wrist release sights and quiver. split limb style bow. Cammo pattern.
300$. I have abotu 450 in it right now with the new arrows and wrist release.
I had it adjusted for me and went from 70 LB pull to a 65 LB pull. Draw is adjustable. I think its at 29 right now. I bought it because I broke my old bow but Ive been rifle hunting for the past year or so and I really dont use it. Actually I havent even fired it yet

Rither way let me know if youre intrested
Rob
ss454454@socal.rr.com
Im in Orange county

Rob

bu-bye
08-05-2006, 12:51 AM
I have been wanting to go bowhunter for years but never had anyone to go with or teach me. I have been shooting compound bows since I was a kid and can hit just about anything under 100 yards with my setup and only my setup. Like said above get a bow that fits you. People see my bow and ask if they can shoot it and I have to say "no". Everyones bow is set up for them and only them unlike a gun. I don't shoot with a peep sight so my aiming is done by the location I put the nock on my ********. Different size face means that arrow will hit somewhere else and with the cost of arrows its not something I'm willing to let everyone or anyone do. I love shooting my bow because unlike a gun I can shoot at home in the backyard. I even shot my bow down the hallway in my house on a rainy day once:D . don't worry, I was home alone;) .

paradox
08-05-2006, 6:44 AM
I don't shoot with a peep sight so my aiming is done by the location I put the nock on my ********.

Hmmm, what was auto-censored? I have a bunch of dirty images in my head and I doubt any are correct.

bu-bye
08-05-2006, 9:05 PM
Hmmm, what was auto-censored? I have a bunch of dirty images in my head and I doubt any are correct.

HAHAHAHA?!?!

I just said "C-H-I-N". What is bad about that?

Rob454
08-15-2006, 8:21 PM
HAHAHAHA?!?!

******** - AKA slang for Chinese person. probably took it as a racial term

Pokey
08-18-2006, 2:23 PM
HAHAHAHA?!?!

If I'm not mistaken that is the name of one of the DOJ folks. Censored to avoid slander or bad mouthing most likely.