PDA

View Full Version : Garand semi newbie.

DirtNapKing
11-28-2010, 4:26 PM
Had one years back. Found out the third party barrel was junk and I decided to dump the gun for another project. I didn't have the time and resources like we currently have. The internet was still in it's early stages ect. ect. Now I would like to start over from scratch. I'm looking for a trustworthy source that will point me in the right direction. I would like to find a correct Springfield. The condition of the wood is not to major of a concern as I would like to refinish or add new furniture. The metal finish would hopefully be close to matching throughout the gun. Hopefully I can keep this venture under $1000. I always toyed with the idea of a CMP gun, but I prefer to get my eyes and hands on something before I commit to chunking that kind of change down on any firearm. Maybe the CMP is not my best route. Also I was curious what the rules are behind the cash and carry deal. If the Garand is over 60 does it have to go through DROS? I'm in California and would prefer to dig up some credible local resources and knowledge. I also welcome any and all advice no matter your geographical location.

Thanks!

sevensix2x51
11-28-2010, 4:29 PM
from the reviews that folks are posting here about cmp garands, you are not going to find a better rifle for the price. if i wanted a garand, i would go cmp without question. there arent a whole lot of other options, unless you get a garand from somebody else, who in turn got it from cmp and made a couple hundred dollars in the deal. :shrug:

Orlando
11-28-2010, 5:25 PM
Do you know what to look for to tell if a rifle is correct or not? Just becuase its all the same manufacture does not make it correct.
If that is what you really want I strongly suggest CMP. You will not find a better deal or better customer support.
I have bought over 20 firearms from them over the last 6years

Sailormilan2
11-28-2010, 6:20 PM
Go with the CMP. This current crop of guns is some of the best they have had in a long time.

mosinnagantm9130
11-28-2010, 7:00 PM
CMP without question.

DirtNapKing
11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys for boosting the CMP and shedding some of your time. The only thing that's held me back really is the fact that I'm not back there to pick it out. Buying guns for 20+ years and it's always been a FTF transaction. It's a tough sell but I am warming up to the CMP option a smidge.

Someguy925
11-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I think of the three or four CMP service grade M1s I've had delivered to my place, they all have turned out better than expected.

Sailormilan2
11-29-2010, 6:49 AM
Many of the Service Grade Garands($595 + $22.95 S&H) are coming out with new stocks. Mostly birch, but some of that birch has been some really nice flame birch.

NaughtyMonkey
11-29-2010, 2:55 PM
CMP Grands. Here are the ones I got, Field Grades: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=357165

I just put in for a Service Grade Winchester too!

DirtNapKing
12-02-2010, 8:05 PM
I am looking for ranges that offers CMP programs in Southern Cal. and BRRC is to far and joining as a member would make about zero sense. I will have to call West End but I was UTL on there website for any affiliation. If I go the CMP route I want to have all my ducks in a row if and when I go back to Ohio. I am not hip to ordering a $1000 gun and letting somebody pick it out for me. I have to get my hands and eyes on it first.

DirtNapKing
12-02-2010, 8:05 PM
CMP Grands. Here are the ones I got, Field Grades: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=357165

I just put in for a Service Grade Winchester too! Where did you complete your CMP requirements?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-02-2010, 8:24 PM
I am looking for ranges that offers CMP programs in Southern Cal. and BRRC is to far and joining as a member would make about zero sense. I will have to call West End but I was UTL on there website for any affiliation.

To meet the "affiliated club" requirement you can just join the Garand Collectors Association or the California Rifle and Pistol Association. For the marksmanship requirement you can probably just have the range safety officer at your local range sign off on the form that you download from the CMP site after he observes you safely firing 50 rounds. The range safety officer at my local range says he does that for people all the time.

TRICKSTER
12-02-2010, 9:21 PM
Actually, the CMP has exactly the rifle that you are looking for. Collector Grade Springfield, new wood, under $1000. You will not find a better deal and these rifles are like new.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
RM1SASSP M1 Garand, Service Grade Springfield Special.
SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original SA manufacture. $895 allow 15-30 days for delivery.

DirtNapKing
12-02-2010, 9:42 PM
To meet the "affiliated club" requirement you can just join the Garand Collectors Association or the California Rifle and Pistol Association. For the marksmanship requirement you can probably just have the range safety officer at your local range sign off on the form that you download from the CMP site after he observes you safely firing 50 rounds. The range safety officer at my local range says he does that for people all the time.
GCA it is! Thanks for the info!

DirtNapKing
12-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Actually, the CMP has exactly the rifle that you are looking for. Collector Grade Springfield, new wood, under $1000. You will not find a better deal and these rifles are like new.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
RM1SASSP M1 Garand, Service Grade Springfield Special.
SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original SA manufacture. $895 allow 15-30 days for delivery.

Preachin to the choir. :D:D:D I still want to touch it first. Gives me an excuse for a road trip.