PDA

View Full Version : Big 5's Double Barreled Shotgun

Henry47
07-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know anything about this? I've always wanted a double barreled shotgun. Any pro/cons? Honest opinions? What about the manufacturer Interstate? How's their reputation?

http://images.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/600.0.90.0/Retailers/Big5SportingGoods/060702_DT2n3_5tzd6_58a.JPG

bwiese
07-03-2006, 10:48 PM
I suspect that's really a Norinco. Somehow the Chinese co. renamed itself sufficiently to allow for US importation (since Norinco is banned).

Double-bbl 'coach guns' are cool/useful for the cowboy action crowd. For utility I prefer an over-under.

Henry47
07-04-2006, 2:07 AM
I suspect that's really a Norinco. Somehow the Chinese co. renamed itself sufficiently to allow for US importation (since Norinco is banned).

Double-bbl 'coach guns' are cool/useful for the cowboy action crowd. For utility I prefer an over-under.

i'm new to the world of shotguns. What benefits does the over/under have over side by side? What makes it "better"?

Gnote
07-04-2006, 7:25 AM
Personally I like the over-under because of the single trigger and the slimmer width if the gun.

glen avon
07-04-2006, 10:14 AM
but O/Us are more difficult, and thus more expensive to build. that's why the cost more. certainly nothing wrong with them, though.

detrrmine what you will be using it for and buy accordingly. most hunting is with O/Us, I think because they are slimmer and also easier to shoot b/c the barrels are stacked.

some prefer to hunt with SxSs, they like the wider sight plane.

if you always wanted what they had on the stagecoach, that's a SxS and none other,

ivanimal
07-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Overall legth of a side by side or over under, is less than a pump or auto making it eisiear to swing. I like over unders because of the sight plane. Having shot a pump gun since I was a kid, I am used to it .

dhl
07-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Well, nothing clear's out a hallway quite like a SxS. That haveing been said, my only concern about this particular SxS would be the quality. Most Norinco products have been well made and quite reliable from my experience.

jessegpresley
07-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Most Norinco products have been well made and quite reliable from my experience.

I wish I had the same low threshold for quality that could give similar rave reviews about something made by the Chinese military industrial complex.

glen avon
07-04-2006, 1:26 PM
I wish I had the same low threshold for quality that could give similar rave reviews about something made by the Chinese military industrial complex.

maybe you can ask a Korean war or Vietnam War vet about the quality of weapons they faced.

jessegpresley
07-04-2006, 1:44 PM
I have a hard time getting excited by anything made in China, the world leader in cheap goods. Anything but the people, of course.

audiogeek
07-04-2006, 3:10 PM
I have one of these. It wasn't purchased from Big5, but it is the same one they sell. Quality is not bad, I've never run into any problems. Hurts like hell to fire from the shoulder.

Honestly, unless you are into the cowboy scene, I'd look at getting an 870 or something similar. Mine was a gift, something that I never would have bought for myself. I usually take it with me when I go to the range. After a day of shooting pistols and rifles, I use the shotgun to finish off all of the melons and fruit that are left over. I always fire from the hip. I do wish that I had an 870 instead.

HillBilly
07-04-2006, 3:12 PM
In all honesty, I don't see this shotgun being good at anything.

I think this one was designed as a cowboy action type peice, hence the coach gun moniker, but unless you are into that, it's short barrels are not much use for clays or hunting. Also not the best thing for defense, and those external hammers are known to have issues (safety and otherwise) on some older shotguns, but I would think there has to be some safety standards there. Still, External hammers are a pass for me unless it is a collector piece.

So unless these go on sale for 100.00 or less, I would say pass IMO.

James R.
07-04-2006, 5:49 PM
I think that's the same one my father has, he shoots in SASS Cowboy Action. It's not a bad shotgun, but he did have to put in some hours working on it to get shells to eject (there's a pin which pushes up) and fall out by tipping the barrel up. Before then they were kinda prone to sticking a bit so he polished the chambers and made some modifications to the ejector. Works great now...

Regards,

James R.

NeoWeird
07-04-2006, 8:23 PM
I was under the impression that a good majority of the cheaper double barrel shotguns coming into the states were Russian made. For example, from what I have heard, Baikal was originally made in Russia until it was contracted by Remington to make their new cheap line of shotguns under the Spartan name. I wouldn't be surprised if Interstate was just a contracted Winchester, Savage, Marlin, etc. under a different name.

ETA: I could easily be wrong though.

James R.
07-04-2006, 9:06 PM
I was under the impression that a good majority of the cheaper double barrel shotguns coming into the states were Russian made. For example, from what I have heard, Baikal was originally made in Russia until it was contracted by Remington to make their new cheap line of shotguns under the Spartan name. I wouldn't be surprised if Interstate was just a contracted Winchester, Savage, Marlin, etc. under a different name.

The Interstate ones are ChiCom.

Regards,

James R.

NeoWeird
07-04-2006, 9:16 PM
The Interstate ones are ChiCom.

Regards,

James R.

Good to know for a fact.

HillBilly
07-04-2006, 9:49 PM
thats not to say there aren't some sweet non-italian imports coming in though...those turkish CZ's make me all warm and tingly.

CalNRA
07-05-2006, 12:10 AM
I've always had a soft spot for SxS coach guns. the first gun I ever shot was a 12-gauge that my grandpa owned. That thing kicked like a mule, due to its 16 inch barrel(because he kept it as a back-seat gun). I know I know today it's illegal, but back in the day no sheriff in Ohio in his right mind would bust a WWII vet working as a building super in middle of Youngstown of all places for a short-barrel shotgun. I forgot which brand it was but it was a solid shooting piece. I seen him putting many deers out of commission with that thing. may he rest in peace.

it's a shame that there isn't a major maunfacturer from the USA makes an afforadable one. Or is there? No way in hell I'm gonna buy an imported shotty.

socalguns
07-05-2006, 8:37 AM

Yes, Interstate imports Norinco firearms.
Yes, there is a Norinco import ban, but it doesn't affect these sporting shotguns. This may have changed recently (i don't recall), but not before interstate imported lots of 'em.

sac7000
07-08-2006, 3:50 PM

I just purchased a Russian made Remington SPR220 " coach " double-barreled 12 gauge. Nickel plated, the action seems nice and the finish is excellent. As far as looks go, it's a real eye catcher. I'm sure it kicks like a mule but the price was right and it just looks all business sitting next to my OLL's. Having once been face to muzzle with a loaded coach style side by side, (drunken buddies father, he's pushing daisies now) I have a deep respect for these old style scatterguns.

ivanimal
07-08-2006, 10:11 PM
it's a shame that there isn't a major maunfacturer from the USA makes an afforadable one. Or is there? No way in hell I'm gonna buy an imported shotty.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/09L.jpg

Gauge: 12 Gauge
Barrel Length: 28"
Stock: Premium American Walnut / Pistol
Rear Sight: None
Suggested Retail Price: $ 2050.00

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=51&variation=12%20Gauge&bct=Yes&type=Shotgun

That depends on what the definition of affordable is.

US firearms will also make you one but if you have to ask the price.............You know.:eek:

CalNRA
07-09-2006, 2:02 AM
maybe I'm just not aware of the cost of manufacturing(maybe they are not set up for a large scale production to bring the cost down), but I was figuring that if Mossberg and Remingto ncan build pump guns for 300 dollars, maybe a 400 dollar price tag isn't too unreasonable for a simple double barrel with a simple cocking-and-shoot trigger group.

I called around and yeah, wow.

I don't NEED a stainless steel barreled SxS with expensive wood stock. I just want a no non-sense, reliable shotgun that will go bang. And make that an American gun and I will be happy.

sac7000
07-09-2006, 7:59 AM
maybe I'm just not aware of the cost of manufacturing(maybe they are not set up for a large scale production to bring the cost down), but I was figuring that if Mossberg and Remingto ncan build pump guns for 300 dollars, maybe a 400 dollar price tag isn't too unreasonable for a simple double barrel with a simple cocking-and-shoot trigger group.
I don't NEED a stainless steel barreled SxS with expensive wood stock. I just want a no non-sense, reliable shotgun that will go bang. And make that an American gun and I will be happy.

The price tag on my nickle plated Remington SxS was $349. Cheap. I would have gone as high as $400 but that would have been my limit on for a "conversation piece" shotgun. No, I won't be using my SxS for hunting or clays nor will I be using it for self-defense unless I run out of bullets and need a bat. And since my stagecoach riding days are over, I won't be needing it for work either.

redneckshootist
07-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Ive got one but i like the old fashioned look and i like to buy wierd stuff and they are cheep and fun to shoot 3" slugs out of :D :D OUCH after about 6 rounds you cant shoulder nuthin

CalNRA
07-11-2006, 12:01 AM
the only SxS I see on remington site is the SPR models. I think those are Russian guns....and the hillbilly in me doesn't like Russians...

sac7000
07-11-2006, 2:06 PM
the only SxS I see on remington site is the SPR models. I think those are Russian guns....and the hillbilly in me doesn't like Russians...

Russians say they are our friends but friends don't aim nuclear missles at each other do they? What's up with that?

grammaton76
07-11-2006, 2:30 PM
Russians say they are our friends but friends don't aim nuclear missles at each other do they? What's up with that?

...but, but - they gave us AK's! :)

SemiAutoSam
07-11-2006, 2:56 PM
Why would you want such a long barrel on a scatter gun.

I would rather my SBS or SBR like its described on my tax stamp paid form 4
only 5 bucks Any Other Weapon :D

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/09L.jpg

Gauge: 12 Gauge
Barrel Length: 28"
Stock: Premium American Walnut / Pistol
Rear Sight: None
Suggested Retail Price: $ 2050.00

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=51&variation=12%20Gauge&bct=Yes&type=Shotgun

That depends on what the definition of affordable is.

US firearms will also make you one but if you have to ask the price.............You know.:eek:

-hanko
07-11-2006, 3:37 PM
Why would you want such a long barrel on a scatter gun. :D
Ever hunted birds with one??:rolleyes:

-hanko

fal_762x51
07-11-2006, 6:08 PM
I like my Norinco shotty. It's the remake of the Rem. 870. Great gun, never cleaned it (2000 +), but the screws seem to walk out a lot. Nothing U.S. loctite can't fix.

SemiAutoSam
07-11-2006, 6:10 PM
Ever hunted birds with one??:rolleyes:

-hanko

Not into hunting boids only hunt peepul

ivanimal
07-11-2006, 9:55 PM
Why would you want such a long barrel on a scatter gun.

I would rather my SBS or SBR like its described on my tax stamp paid form 4
only 5 bucks Any Other Weapon :D

Sometimes those birds gang up and you have to get them farther away before they unite and attack!:eek:

sac7000
07-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Sometimes those birds gang up and you have to get them farther away before they unite and attack!:eek:

Humming birds will fly up your barrel and lay an egg if your not careful.

Boomer1961
07-15-2006, 12:09 PM
I have a hard time getting excited by anything made in China, the world leader in cheap goods. Anything but the people, of course.

Then why are you using that CHINESE MADE computer to do Internet. Also are you barefoot? I suspect not, thus meaning you have chinese products covering your feet.

China is now building aircraft carriers and ICBM's in quantity. Maybe when a Chinese nuke goes bang in a city near by, you will feel that excitement you never felt from any other previously used Chinese product you used.

GOOD LUCK!
larry

sac7000
07-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Then why are you using that CHINESE MADE computer to do Internet. Also are you barefoot? I suspect not, thus meaning you have chinese products covering your feet.

China is now building aircraft carriers and ICBM's in quantity. Maybe when a Chinese nuke goes bang in a city near by, you will feel that excitement you never felt from any other previously used Chinese product you used.

GOOD LUCK!
larry

Won't happen, China needs the US to buy their products. 78 million baby boomers are getting ready to retire with billions of dollars in spendable income. I know that for a fact cuz I'm one of them!

I want my chinese built 52" Plasma HDTV!! Gimmee! Gimmee!!