PDA

View Full Version : Haven't been shooting in a few months, but finally went...

James R.
07-03-2006, 9:52 PM
got to try out my new Jewell Trigger on my otherwise bone stock Remington 700VS LH. I'd say it was a worthwhile upgrade...

Shot at Burro Canyon, hot as hell, light winds with gusts here and there, comforting for the shooter, hard on the groups when you're shooting 52 grain projectiles with fairly light loads. This was also a fire forming shot, fresh brass...never fired before. Hopefully things will only get better from here :-)

Right and Low is intentional...but yall know that *I hope* two clicks left windage two clicks elevation brings you to the bull if you must poke away at your target.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/BestGroup_07032006.jpg

My typical & worst groups for the day all fit neatly under a quarter...

Regards,

James R.

anotherted
07-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Gotta love those VS's. I have a VS LH (.308) as well. I havent hand loaded for it yet, but your groups are sure pushing me in that direction.
Im at burro all the time. Maby ill see you there one of these days.

Ted

James R.
07-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Sweet another southpaw ehh? ;-)

Yeah, reloading is the way to go. The Jewell trigger is the BOMB to say the least, breaks like glass @ 8oz and *pow* lead is on its way down range.

Here's the rifle in question hiding behind my California Legal Self Loading Rifle :-P

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/AR_V_Rem700_2.jpg

Bolt handle is not stock for those who are hyper observant, I had this done by GA Precision, it's the so-called SSG style knob.

Regards,

James R.

Pryde
07-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Hey I saw you there today. :)

I was the asian dude with the FAL. XD

It was murder calling a line break, all the mexicans on the right side couldn't understand what i was trying to say, had to ask the only 1 out of the 12 that spoke english.

anotherted
07-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Nice rig. Heres mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/TeddyJ/Rem7001.jpg

James R.
07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Ahaha nice, were you wearing a Danzig shirt or something? Black with white letters?

Man WTF is the deal with that old man crawling around on his hands and knees collecting brass. When he got into my area I tried to have a conversation with him. Suffice it to say he's very hard of hearing, as one might expect if you crawl the line on your hands and knees during live fire w/o any freaking hearing protection you're just asking for problems. I asked him something like, "so what's your criteria for collecting brass...you realoading a specific caliber" and he's like, "no, just want brass...I recycle it" and I said, "so what's the going rate on brass these days" and he says, "pretty good". Then he comes a little closer and speaks kinda low like he's letting me in on some news and starts telling me something about all the people who ever wronged him or said something against him will end up shooting each other using his recycled brass. I was like ohhhhh kay, time for to go back to shooting now mkay :( .

Man there were a lot of messicans (as always, no prob with Mexicans for whatever it's worth) there with AW's and I dunno...maybe I'm showing my stripes a bit when I say I doubt those guns are on the up and up. Maybe I should have never gotten rid of my SLR-95 :-( I bought it legit but missed the boat on reg cause I was off at school when it was listed...

BTW - Do any of those guys actually aim at anything? I saw tons of dirt being kicked up and they probably shot more rounds in 5 mins than I shot in the 2~3 hours I was there geeze, quality not quantity!

Regards,

James R.

mr2.0
07-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Nice grouping, James. I saw the old man collecting brass everytime I shoot up there, he actually is a very nice guy to talk to.

Pryde
07-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Ahaha nice, were you wearing a Danzig shirt or something? Black with white letters?

Man WTF is the deal with that old man crawling around on his hands and knees collecting brass. When he got into my area I tried to have a conversation with him. Suffice it to say he's very hard of hearing, as one might expect if you crawl the line on your hands and knees during live fire w/o any freaking hearing protection you're just asking for problems. I asked him something like, "so what's your criteria for collecting brass...you realoading a specific caliber" and he's like, "no, just want brass...I recycle it" and I said, "so what's the going rate on brass these days" and he says, "pretty good". Then he comes a little closer and speaks kinda low like he's letting me in on some news and starts telling me something about all the people who ever wronged him or said something against him will end up shooting each other using his recycled brass. I was like ohhhhh kay, time for to go back to shooting now mkay :( .

Man there were a lot of messicans (as always, no prob with Mexicans for whatever it's worth) there with AW's and I dunno...maybe I'm showing my stripes a bit when I say I doubt those guns are on the up and up. Maybe I should have never gotten rid of my SLR-95 :-( I bought it legit but missed the boat on reg cause I was off at school when it was listed...

BTW - Do any of those guys actually aim at anything? I saw tons of dirt being kicked up and they probably shot more rounds in 5 mins than I shot in the 2~3 hours I was there geeze, quality not quantity!

Regards,

James R.

LOL

Yea I was the guy in the danzig shirt with the tattoos.
Thats what I love about burro, its ghetto as hell but the people are usually pretty nice. I talked to those mexicans that were next to you and their stuff seemed to be on the up and up, one guy owned all the AWs, he stocked up before the ban I guess. Most of the time mexicans at the range (not trying to be racist) don't really aim at anything, they are just mag dumping into the berm. If thats their thing, I don't have a problem with it as long as they aren't shooting my target. I'm not a big fan of scoped rifles so I just normally shoot bowling pins on the berm with iron sights.

The old guy is the burro canyon caretaker, he lives there and picks up brass. He doesn't really say much but he seems cool enough, I always offer him cigarettes when he comes by just to be nice.

James R.
07-04-2006, 12:32 AM
On the old man, yeah he seemed cool enough. Just that bit about getting back at all the people who've wronged him was a little strange. Honestly that guy should really look into some hearing protection. Clearly he has *some* hearing left and what little he still has he should take some measures to preserve.

As to the Mexicans, yeah they seem'd cool enough. It's just that I've seen so many of them up there with AW I have to wonder. I was talking to the line officer towards the end and he was saying they constantly get blatant violators up there but in general they don't care, "not our problem" is the motto of the day I guess. That's fine by me, so long as the people with illegal weapons aren't actually a danger to the rest of the patrons I couldn't give two *****s if a guys barrel is 18" or if it's 16", at the end of the day it just doesn't matter one bit at all.

There's not as much enforcement of the range rules, esp as relates ROF as say one would find at Angeles, but that's also a longer drive for me. However it's less driving on the windy mountain roads, which generally I love cause my car is nicely setup for such things...but when you've got slow boats in front of you it's just a pita I'd just as soon avoid.

As to rifles, I go in for lots of stuff. I just brought my Rem 700 out because well, I had a new trigger and hadn't shot it since that change. Most of my rilfes are scoped though, I just like precision shooting...I'm an engineer, it's in my nature to want to be able to measure the results :-P I've got the 700 which is scoped, a 50 BMG scoped, 10/22 scoped and the AR which will get some kinda optic (w/o mag) buncha other crap as well, building a longer AR which will be scoped. LOL I guess I'm hooked on scoped rifles...

Regards,

James R.

James R.
07-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Nice rig. Heres mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/TeddyJ/Rem7001.jpg

Nice solid example. You do the paint yourself? I think if I change the stock I'll prolly get an A4 or A5, so nice. I dunno...I may just build another one in a different caliber like 308, 300 Win Mag or some such.

Nice thing about the 223 is you can shoot it all day long, come home and it's like you had never even gone shooting, no pain at all.

Regards,

James R.

anotherted
07-04-2006, 7:19 AM
The paints from the factory. Its a Mcmillan M40A1 stock.

that old man grabs my spent brass pretty much as it exits my rifles. Its usually berdan primed milsurp so i dont mind that much.

ocabj
07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
I just recently painted my McMillan stock:

http://www.ocabj.net/photos/firearms_personal/10fpcamo_640_01.jpg (http://www.ocabj.net/photos/firearms_personal/10fpcamo_01.jpg)

Not a Remington 700, though. It's a Savage 10FP.

I'll get to painting the actual metal soon enough.

DrjonesUSA
07-04-2006, 1:55 PM
Yeah, Jeff Cooper says that the trigger makes or breaks a rifle.

He'd rather have a crappy rifle with an excellent trigger than an excellent rifle with a crap trigger.

I agree completely.

That said, the stock Rem. 700 trigger can be tuned quite easily and to a great setting.

James R.
07-04-2006, 2:05 PM
Yeah, Jeff Cooper says that the trigger makes or breaks a rifle.

He'd rather have a crappy rifle with an excellent trigger than an excellent rifle with a crap trigger.

I agree completely.

That said, the stock Rem. 700 trigger can be tuned quite easily and to a great setting.

Yeah the stock trigger was very nice on its own, but a bit heavy. I know you can take them down some, but I'm not sure it's really quite the same as a trigger which was designed from the outset to operate at such low pull weights. If you want to go down to like 3 lbs or something there's no argument the stock trigger will make you very happy. But setting the trigger down to 8oz or less might even prove unsafe. This thing seems about as unconditionally safe as you can get. I whacked the back of the rifle a few times with a 5 lbs dead blow...not a chance it's going off by accident. Other thing is the Jewell is fully adjustable on the rifle w/o removal unless you adjust the weight so much that you need to swap out the spring. It comes with an A,B and C spring for the different weight ranges it operates over.

Regards,

James R.

anotherted
07-04-2006, 9:29 PM
I had a smith work the trigger down to i forget what now. Anyway its EXTREMELY light and has very nice, crisp break. He did a great job. From the factory, it had something like an 11lb pull. :eek: After he got done he said to never drop the rifle when it is loaded. I told him that i would never plan to drop the rifle period.

James R.
07-04-2006, 10:08 PM
I had a smith work the trigger down to i forget what now. Anyway its EXTREMELY light and has very nice, crisp break. He did a great job. From the factory, it had something like an 11lb pull. :eek: After he got done he said to never drop the rifle when it is loaded. I told him that i would never plan to drop the rifle period.

Yeah see the thing is you really should be able to butt drop the rifle, least from a reasonable distance loaded w/o fear of it going off. I know that's not normal behavior...but if it doesn't go off at least you know it's not marginal.

Mine is set at 8oz, it's damn light. I've dropped the hammer on a 3oz custom benchrest gun before and it's sick, just way too light for my tastes. Also the benchrest triggers from Jewell are a different design, fewer pivot points or some such because they don't have to fight as strong a spring or something like that. They're actually cheaper than the HVR triggers...go figure. I was just really jazzed that Jewell makes their HVR in a left hand version!

I dunno what my factory trigger was set for, but I'm sure it was something pretty lawyer proof. I've heard they're typically in the 8 lbs range so your 11 lbs isn't that alarming. I'm guessing given the tactical styling of your rifle the smith set yours in the 2~3 pound range. Mine set at 8oz is totally inappropriate for any sort of scoot, shoot, scoot type work ;-) Fortunately if I want to raise the weight it's pretty easy and it's designed to run across a pretty broad range.

In any event, you should reload man...that brass you're chuckin' is like throwing money in a hole, say nothing of the potential to cut your groups easily in half or better.

Regards,

James R.

anotherted
07-05-2006, 7:38 AM
He mentioned ounces not pounds when he told me the pull weight. I was more interested in the feel of the trigger and thus diddnt remember the exact number. It took a little getting used to but its nice now. I would however like a little bit more weight on it.

In a perfect world, i would love to have a 2 stager. Ive looked around and one company makes one for the 700 but they were super expensive.

Ted

James R.
07-05-2006, 6:04 PM
He mentioned ounces not pounds when he told me the pull weight. I was more interested in the feel of the trigger and thus diddnt remember the exact number. It took a little getting used to but its nice now. I would however like a little bit more weight on it.

In a perfect world, i would love to have a 2 stager. Ive looked around and one company makes one for the 700 but they were super expensive.

Ted

How much is super expensive? Single stage is fine IMHO...I prefer the lack of slack anyhow. Jewells aren't too bad, the HVR is $225+S&H but you'll wait about 2 weeks before you get it.

Regards,

James R.

DrjonesUSA
07-06-2006, 9:30 AM
After he got done he said to never drop the rifle when it is loaded. I told him that i would never plan to drop the rifle period.

Frankly, that does NOT sound like a safe trigger job, nor a good smith.

Who did the work?

As James posted above, you should be able to smack the gun firmly on its butt without it going off.

If I were you, I'd definitely have the trigger readjusted, or you may have to buy a whole new trigger, depending on what he did to your gun.

Is he a well-known and reputable smith? Doesn't sound like it.

You can have a light AND safe trigger pull, which means that the gun won't go off unless you pull the trigger.

A gun that will go off when dropped/bumped is NOT SAFE.

anotherted
07-06-2006, 8:50 PM
The smith was what's his name from Gunrunners -- Bruce, i think?. Supposedly he's a pretty good one. He does stuff mainly for the local police, SWAT, etc. Ive shot the hell out of it since ive had it back with out a single problem. Nevertheless, i'll try the "smack" test tomorrow and see what happens. Unloaded of course.;)

kantstudien
07-07-2006, 1:03 AM
Wait, there's an old guy who hovers around you waiting for brass to be ejected? WTF? :confused:

For some reason, the imagery I get is both amusing and disturbing.

rorschach
07-07-2006, 2:01 AM
Yes, there is. He doesnt really bother anyone, he just scrounges brass. I dont have the heart to tell him those hundreds of -06 cases that spit out of my Garand are Berdan primed Danish surplus.

The cholos crack me up though, especially the ones that videotape themselves shooting dirt with their .22's, then flashing their gang signs for the camera.

colossians323
07-07-2006, 5:50 AM
Yes, there is. He doesnt really bother anyone, he just scrounges brass. I dont have the heart to tell him those hundreds of -06 cases that spit out of my Garand are Berdan primed Danish surplus.

Hew probably doesn
t care, he is selling it for scrap brass which is at an all time high.

James R.
07-07-2006, 10:39 AM

The cholos crack me up though, especially the ones that videotape themselves shooting dirt with their .22's, then flashing their gang signs for the camera.

LOL exactly, 90% of the time I can't even figure out what they're trying to shoot at. They just show up and dump tons of lead into the ground and the berm. If this is the drive by shooting training camp I now understand why so many innocent bystanders get killed in drive by's.

As to the old man, I don't mind...he doesn't get any of my brass since I reload. I just think he really ought to be wearing some sort of hearing protection if he's going to crawl the line during live fire.

I'd like to see him crawl under the bench for brass when I or someone else is shooting their 50 BMG ;-)

Regards,

James R.

rorschach
07-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Went to Burro this weekend. Heres some of the toys.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/tsol_roolz/b70eb654.jpg

L-R Winchester Mod. 12, PTR-91, Scattergun Tech modded 870, Smithy 500 Mag, Czech SKS, Taurus PT145. Down below in case: SIG 226 .40, Browning M1935 Hi-Power, Glock 17, Springfield Ultra Compact 1911

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/tsol_roolz/932d3b7c.jpg

The infamous Brass Scrounging Old Man. Rorschach and nephew setting up target at upper right.

Got to wring out the new PTR, didnt much care for the aluminum handguard or the way the mag is fixed (shimmed mag release) I'm ordering a G3 wide forearm from Top Notch, and I have an idea for a mag lock that may or may not work, will post pics when I get around to fabbing. Haven't decided on a bipod, it would only add weight to an already hefty rifle. Kept all my shots in the black at 50 yards and on the paper at 100 yards with iron sights, standing position.