PDA

View Full Version : Legality of DPMS A-15 lower as OLL

CaptMike
07-03-2006, 7:43 PM
Hello all

what do you think the legality of a DPMS A-15 lower would be in california as an appropriately built Off List Rifle? I see that the DPMS Panther is listed as a category 1/2 rifle but do not think that this would be considered a panther. appreciate the comments as always.

Stay Safe

Mike

kantstudien
07-03-2006, 7:56 PM
I would be more interested in hearing comments about the legality of the DPMS LR-308. ;)

bwiese
07-03-2006, 8:11 PM
The problem is that these are marked DPMS 'Panther' and A15.

The Kasler list lists DPMS Panther (all) as banned. Even though that's a bit too vague by Harrott standards I don't think it'll fly legally without a fight. We already know that Eagle Arms AR10 are regarded as banned because they are marked also with 'Armalite'. (DOJ killed some recent sales at a gunshow...)

If you could find a DPMS A15 without any Panther markings then it'd be OK and considered unlisted.

bwiese
07-03-2006, 8:18 PM
I would be more interested in hearing comments about the legality of the DPMS LR-308. ;)

The problem is, as I mentioned above, that all current DPMS receivers appear to be marked with 'Panther' - and DPMS Panther (all) is banned. Too close to the edge.

If the new LR308 does not have a 'Panther' marking on it, it will be truly off-list.

Shane916
07-03-2006, 8:18 PM
You'd think that from a business stand point DPMS would change the name or create a different name receiver to sell an easy 4,000+ to Californians.

CaptMike
07-03-2006, 9:40 PM
No Panther markings on the Lower. it is marked as follows using raised lettering on left side of mag well

CAL. .223-5.56mm
MOD. A-15
SN. 4xxx

above the trigger pin hole on left side is marked

D.P.M.S Inc
BECKER MN.
USA

this is an old rifle, as you can see from the Serial number, that I sent to Arizona when the bans came into effect. Looks like I am taking a trip very soon to bring my friend home, after appropriate california modifications of course.

thanks

Stay safe

bwiese
07-03-2006, 9:53 PM
Lt Mike...

Then you lucked out.

This must be an older lower - as most DPMSes, and apparently all newer DPMSes, are marked with 'Panther' as well as a Panther image.

Go for it, just make sure it's legally configured.

CaptMike
07-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I was hoping that some of my friends would return to this state some day.

Now what do you think about an HK 911? yea I have a collection of weird stuff. The 911 was a limited run of rifles that were built by HK when the first import ban went into effect back in the 80's. only 900 rifles were made before they switched to the SR9 designation.

kantstudien
07-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Are you talking about the HK 91? I never heard of a 911, but if you are talking about an HK 91, then that is banned by name. You can get a JLD Enterprises PTR-91 receiver though.

ke6guj
07-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Are you talking about the HK 91? I never heard of a 911, but if you are talking about an HK 91, then that is banned by name. You can get a JLD Enterprises PTR-91 receiver though.

Nope, HK did do an HK911 around the time of the import ban, IIRC. I think it was a just a thumbholed HK91.

MysteryCereal
07-03-2006, 11:50 PM
So my little buddy can come out of its hiding place?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/EmilMendez/dpms.jpg

CaptMike
07-04-2006, 8:06 AM
Nope, HK did do an HK911 around the time of the import ban, IIRC. I think it was a just a thumbholed HK91.

You got it right, it is in fact an HK-911. :)
Very few folks know about these since they were made in a very small number. This is what happened. the rifle started out as an HK 91 from germany. 900 HK 91 rifles were sent to the US, but had not officially passed through customs. The first import ban was instituted on foreign made "Assault Weapons" making the rifle's imposible to officially import, even though they were on US soil. HK didnt want to send back 900 rifles to Germany so they modified the weapon by taking of the original stock and placing sporterized stocks. they removed the flash hider and permanently covered the front section of the barrel to make it look like a non flash hider bull barrel (sporter). The last thing they did is they then stamped a number 1 behind the 91 turning it into an HK 911. the rifles were therefore remanufactured into a new rifle by HK before they were officially allowed into the US. They were then approved by the feds to be imported as a "new" sporter rifle and not a "bad" assault weapon. of the 900 only 50 were sent to california and were allowed for sale. You see them for sale from time to time but most people dont know what they are. Collectors love these since there are so few. the last time I saw one for sale the guy wanted 7k for it.
The way I got mine was just by chance, I owned an HK91 and gave it to a dealer to sell it for me right before the first AW ban here in california. I told him to sell it for me and get me the "new" HK SR9 sporter that would be legal in california (at the time). I didnt care about money I just wanted something legal to shoot. He actually sold my 91 for 1500 and ordered me the cheapest sporter HK. HK wanted to unload these quick since the SR9 was coming so they sold it to him for 600. He made a great profit and I got what I wanted. We both ended up happy. Now I am the one that is happy since I own a collectible. now the only problem is that I have to go pick it up in arizona and make it california legal again. once that is done I will bring my friend home. Now you know the story of the HK-911:) :)

Stay safe