PDA

View Full Version : Spear Huntin hog

TheCilician
11-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey yall,

I've been wanting to spear hunt a hog for some time now. My research shows that most hog hunters prefer custom made spears, or special order, but hell, I don't have $400 for a spear.

Would anyone know if a ColdSteel boar-spear would be applicable here?
(http://www.coldsteel.com/boarspear.html)

Ofcourse I can switch out the shaft to a hardier wood, something I read is probably the most important part.

Also. There are some hunters that say dogs are mandatory on these types of hunts, but there are others who just hunt em like they do deer, just stalk them...any suggestions from experience?

There ain't nothin like the adrenaline rush of having a 200 lb boar rush you wanting to bite off your legs....does that make me crazy?:43:

spectr17
11-28-2010, 12:52 PM
The sad thing is unfortunately you can't spear or knife a hog in CA for the kill in the wild. We're the only state I know of where you can't spear hogs. My friends who can spear hogs in FL and GA use the Cold Steel spear and it works fine for them.

Some of us have talked about approaching the DFG to revise the rules about spearing and knifing hogs but we've been told the CA DFG commission would never buy it along with the tree hugging public here. It's not human to kill a hog that way they claim. :confused:

edgerly779
11-28-2010, 12:58 PM
You have to thank the video of marshall teague and gerald mcraney shown using dogs andspearing and knifing pigs for not being able to take hogs in that manner .The tree huggers and peta people went ballistic. You do know what peta stands for. (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

180ls1
11-28-2010, 1:03 PM
sounds like without dogs you really would have to spend a ton of time in the woods, or know their trail very very well.

mzimmers
11-28-2010, 5:48 PM
sounds like without dogs you really would have to spend a ton of time in the woods, or know their trail very very well.

Yep. Getting that close to pigs without spooking them takes some serious talent, more than I'll ever have. Plus, even if you do, you still have to make an accurate throw.

TheCilician
11-28-2010, 6:11 PM
Yep. Getting that close to pigs without spooking them takes some serious talent, more than I'll ever have. Plus, even if you do, you still have to make an accurate throw.

Now this is where I get 3 totally different sides.

1 side loves to throw their spears when they are in good distance.

side 2 says they like to either sneak up on the boar by way if intimidation (aka " come n' git me") which is @#$%^&ing crazy, but kinda cool.

and side 3 likes for the dogs to take it down until you get there to take the killer blow.

Which would any of you all prefer? (out of curiosity?)

1st5
11-28-2010, 6:49 PM
I get plenty close to pigs every time I hunt...snuck up to 15 of them within 15 yards using wind and terrain last time I was out...

Anyway, that said I'd love to spear or knife hogs in this state. I've killed quite a few with my guns and bows. Unfortunatly it is not happening with the nut crunchers in this state.j

Personally I'd like to hunt them over dogs. Let the dogs do their work, walk up on them, have a partner grab it by the hind legs, and slip the knife into the heart. My big male ridgeback loves to catch and he releases when I come up with the gun and gets the hell out of the way. Smart dog.

180ls1
11-28-2010, 6:55 PM
I mean ya you could throw a spear at pigs 15 yards away but there is a very good chance of just wounding one i would imagine, it does not sound very ethical. The only way i think i would spear one is if i lunged still holding the spear and stuck it, not throwing one. Unless you had a friend with backup that can put the pig down fast with a gun that might change it a little.

tacster
11-29-2010, 9:19 AM
the guy on Relenless Pursuit speared a pig, spot and stock, and even on film! i think that might be ninja status.