PDA

View Full Version : Big-5 Sale

IEShooter
11-26-2010, 4:35 PM
Got there at 5 AM thanks to my 2 year old who kicked me awake atbout 3.

Picked up what appears to be an unissued Yugo SKS with matching serial numbers and lots of accessories and a very nice Mosin.

Both are my first C&R type rifles. I sent in the forms for my C&R FFL and will add to the collection when it comes in.

I'll post pics in the next few weeks once I get them home and cleaned up.

vincentvangerven
11-26-2010, 7:58 PM
well, here's a little tip for next year. the big 5 truck comes in on tuesdays in my area. So if you go there tuesday or wednesday, you can pick the best ones. The big 5 in redwood city, had 3; 2 with half assed bores, one double date mosin. Didn't buy it since i'm looking for collectible shooters, and i wasn't too sure about the barrel (brought calipers and a bullet)
Decided to also check out big 5 san mateo; 5 mosins, bought 2 of them; both new bores, no electro pencilling, 1 with the correct pre war stock and beautiful wood. Bought the other one for it's bore condition, should be a good shooter.
You then go back on friday for the price adjustment. By doing this you first of all get to work your way to whatever they get in, plus you get the best deal as well.....
:D

CEDaytonaRydr
11-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Decided to also check out big 5 san mateo; 5 mosins, bought 2 of them; both new bores, no electro pencilling, :D

Really? At Big 5?

I thought they all had the new serial numbers from the importer... :confused:

IrishPirate
11-26-2010, 10:25 PM
what was the sale price?

rimfired
11-27-2010, 12:43 AM
what was the sale price?

$89. I got there late (7:30). The sales guy told me there were about 15 people lined up at 5am, and 5 went straight to the gun counter, 3 of which bought Mosins. Apparently, one of the guys there got lucky and got a hex-barreled Mosin. I got the last one, which was the display Mosin. The crown was excellent, and the bore looked excellent as well. It was a 1945 Ichevsk (spelling?) standard Mosin. Can't wait to get it home, clean it, and take it to the range.

Milsurp Collector
11-27-2010, 4:46 PM
Picked up three 91/30s at Big 5 yesterday. A 1935 Tula hex receiver, a 1939 Tula, and a 1943 Izhevsk with a mirror-bright bore. $89 each (no sales tax) + $10 background check and I walked out of the store with them. :)

http://i54.tinypic.com/auxpv4.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/egny4m.jpg

Lead Waster
11-27-2010, 4:47 PM
Me, I wanted one of the "Early Bird" Mossberg 500 combos, but I spent the day with nephews and nieces instead . Bah! Well, it was only a $20 discount, but still... I got nothing on Black Friday.

Ksmash01
11-27-2010, 6:10 PM
Picked up three 91/30s at Big 5 yesterday. A 1935 Tula hex receiver, a 1939 Tula, and a 1943 Izhevsk with a mirror-bright bore. $89 each (no sales tax) + $10 background check and I walked out of the store with them. :)

http://i54.tinypic.com/auxpv4.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/egny4m.jpg

I work at Big 5. I scouted the last few months worth of mosin shipments, and picked the best 2(One 1935 hex Tula just like the one on the left of the second picture, and one 1932 hex Izhevsk). I met a customer that was looking for a hex M91/30, so I sold him the Izhevsk, and he was quite happy. It was beautiful, and I was happy with the Tula.

Then a few weeks later, I found another hex Tula, in great shape(all matching numbers, great bore, all that jazz:cool:), dated 1927 with all kinds of Russian writing(It's a Tula CCCP Dragoon upon further inspection).

I ended up buying both hex Tulas.....I will post pics as soon as I pic them up. I think my 1927 was a sniper rifle, as there was some wood replaced on the left side of the reciever. I haven't cleaned any cosmo out of it to see if it was ever tapped, but I will post some pics to see if anyone here can tell me if it was or wasn't.

And just today, I sold a Laminated Hex Tula from 1934 I think......:mad:.....oh well, those weren't on sale for $89 though.

If anyone is looking for any sort of M91/30 from certain years, I'll keep a look out. I work at the Dublin Big 5.

vincentvangerven
12-07-2010, 2:47 PM
alrighty, got mine in too. picked the best 2 out of 5, both 1938 izhevsk (coincidence)

1 purely as a shooter; the bore was new. When they re-arsenaled it they just did the wood, it was not recrowned (crown was still blued) and it didn't have that re-arsenal box stamped in the metal. Pretty sure it wasn't ever re-blued. In the barrel channel a russkie wrote the serial number, but since the action is 1938, and the stock late war i'm sure the stock was replaced somwhere in its life. The handguard might be original, it's way darker then the stock.

it's disassembled now; after my first range trip i shot a group of 1.5 moa with it for 5 shots, using 55 grain of 4064 with a sierra 150 softpoint. darn tight chamer; it will not close on a winchester round since the rim is too thick for it. Chamber is nicely lined up with the bore, brass expands evenly. bore is alittle bigger then a finn mosin, but i dare to say that this thing is going to shoot as well or even better then your 'out of the crate' finn. i found It dind't need a .312 bullet like another more worn mosin i have.

Shot a bit better with the bayonet off, and still shoots high and to the right.
so now i'm in the process of free floating it. Already installed a m39 trigger, and shimmed it "the finn way". Goal is to get a correct but tuned 91/30 with no irreversible mods that is a ture 1 moa shooter like my m39.

Number 2 will remain 'as is' ;the thing is just gorgeous and even has some tiger striping. it's in the correct stock, bore is exellent, only thing i could see that has been replaced is the floor plate, it's lined out and re-numbered. I'll clean it and hang it above the fireplace :)

Both izhevsk 1938, both well finished, both matching, happy camper here.

a pic of the pretty one.. striping is even better in the sunlight.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp182/vincentvangerven/DSCN3788.jpg

negolien
12-07-2010, 3:04 PM
LOL too funny really it is. The prices on these weapons are a joke to be honest. I remember about 10-15 years ago getting a nice SKS for like 150 bucks lol now I can spend 200 bucks more and put together an AR-15 myself so really why would I waste the money on that 2nd hand ghetto eastern block crap? Except for collectors which I understand the reasoning.

As a side note..The prices I seen weren't 89 bucks lol but like 389 so sorry I didn't read 1st post before running off at the mouth lol.

vincentvangerven
12-07-2010, 4:43 PM
well, i just like the history of these rifles a whole lot, didn't find a fancy black plastic synthetic rifle yet that has seriously impressive history behind it...
one that has probably seen mud, frost & guts...

Not saying the old war horses are better then the modern stuff, i just find them way more interesting.

and it get's even better when you're at the range; when you sit next to a guy who just shelled out $1k or more for some star wars rifle and you're shooting better groups than him, with open sights.

this is what i shoot with open sights with a good one...:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=369658&highlight=mosin

mauser98k
12-07-2010, 5:09 PM
Not saying the old war horses are better then the modern stuff

i'll say it then :cool2:

kkd
12-07-2010, 5:19 PM
well, i just like the history of these rifles a whole lot, didn't find a fancy black plastic synthetic rifle yet that has seriously impressive history behind it...
one that has probably seen mud, frost & guts...

I just find them way more interesting.

and it get's even better when you're at the range; when you sit next to a guy who just shelled out $1k or more for some star wars rifle and you're shooting better groups than him, with open sights.

I couldn't agree more! :D

Dr.Mauser
12-07-2010, 7:11 PM
i'll say it then :cool2:

^Thats what Im saying^

pyromensch
12-07-2010, 7:32 PM
I work at Big 5. I scouted the last few months worth of mosin shipments, and picked the best 2(One 1935 hex Tula just like the one on the left of the second picture, and one 1932 hex Izhevsk). I met a customer that was looking for a hex M91/30, so I sold him the Izhevsk, and he was quite happy. It was beautiful, and I was happy with the Tula.

Then a few weeks later, I found another hex Tula, in great shape(all matching numbers, great bore, all that jazz:cool:), dated 1927 with all kinds of Russian writing(It's a Tula CCCP Dragoon upon further inspection).

I ended up buying both hex Tulas.....I will post pics as soon as I pic them up. I think my 1927 was a sniper rifle, as there was some wood replaced on the left side of the reciever. I haven't cleaned any cosmo out of it to see if it was ever tapped, but I will post some pics to see if anyone here can tell me if it was or wasn't.

And just today, I sold a Laminated Hex Tula from 1934 I think......:mad:.....oh well, those weren't on sale for $89 though.

If anyone is looking for any sort of M91/30 from certain years, I'll keep a look out. I work at the Dublin Big 5.

not fair.....you quit your high priced gov't job to work at big 5, to rape the rest of us.:)

berg
12-09-2010, 4:31 PM
LOL too funny really it is. The prices on these weapons are a joke to be honest. I remember about 10-15 years ago getting a nice SKS for like 150 bucks lol now I can spend 200 bucks more and put together an AR-15 myself so really why would I waste the money on that 2nd hand ghetto eastern block crap? Except for collectors which I understand the reasoning.

As a side note..The prices I seen weren't 89 bucks lol but like 389 so sorry I didn't read 1st post before running off at the mouth lol.

This HAS to be a joke post, right? I mean are you really comparing prices from 15 years ago? :troll:

Rogerbutthead
12-09-2010, 5:40 PM
You guys have better Big 5's then I have around my house.

One clerk would not even let me take out the bolt to examine the barrel, at another they did, but would only let me look at one rifle, no choice - this was several years ago in South Bay area.

Haven't bought anything from them since.

Markus
12-09-2010, 5:49 PM
This HAS to be a joke post, right? I mean are you really comparing prices from 15 years ago? :troll:

I cleaned out my garage and found a big 5 ad from 5 years ago selling m44s for 79.99 now adays your lucky if you find one for twice that! These things have gone up in value and are only going to more rare. Im kicking myself for not getting a m44 for 80 bucks five years ago wouldve made a great 18th birthday present.

Ergo the Qualmed
12-09-2010, 5:50 PM
You guys have better Big 5's then I have around my house.

One clerk would not even let me take out the bolt to examine the barrel, at another they did, but would only let me look at one rifle, no choice - this was several years ago in South Bay area.

Haven't bought anything from them since.

My experience:

"Display rifle looks nice. Wait, why are those pieces not matching?

...what's that about dropping it, and a fire?!

I'd like to see all the others, please...slowly..."

mosinnagantm9130
12-09-2010, 5:58 PM
I cleaned out my garage and found a big 5 ad from 5 years ago selling m44s for 79.99 now adays your lucky if you find one for twice that! These things have gone up in value and are only going to more rare. Im kicking myself for not getting a m44 for 80 bucks five years ago wouldve made a great 18th birthday present.

The only M44 I've bought from big 5 was in late 07, still $79.99. Shortly after, they went up to $99, then they were gone. They haven't been back since.

91/30's have gone up in price to, the Big 5 sale price used to be $69, now it's $99.

Interloper
12-09-2010, 6:28 PM
Nice score! Now go bust out the belt sander and the sawzall and start improving those bad boys!

jonni
12-09-2010, 6:32 PM

retard post of the year goes to this guy

Interloper
12-09-2010, 7:07 PM
retard post of the year goes to this guy

It takes all kinds. :rolleyes:

smt77
12-11-2010, 9:50 PM
Will wonders never cease. I just DROS'd a 1925 Tula this evening at my Big 5. Now I have 6...the '25, a '27 Izzy, 1931, 2 1932's and then a '47 that I purchased just for parts. There are some real gems still out there...just gotta get lucky I guess.

mosinnagantm9130
12-12-2010, 9:27 AM
Will wonders never cease. I just DROS'd a 1925 Tula this evening at my Big 5. Now I have 6...the '25, a '27 Izzy, 1931, 2 1932's and then a '47 that I purchased just for parts. There are some real gems still out there...just gotta get lucky I guess.

If that's a 47 dated 91/30, it needs a restoration. They are very rare.

vincentvangerven
12-20-2010, 8:04 PM
alrighty, after many hours of tuning i finally got my tack driving mosin ready. shot the best group so far today. The pretty one i left untouched exept for a trigger tune; that one's going to be on the wall anyway. Still shoots about 2 moa out the box with factory ammo. The other one i got at big 5 had such a good bore that i decide to use it as a base for a mosin 91/30 that had to shoot at least as good as an m39, at least that was my goal.

Well, today i proved that can be done :)

what i did (all period correct and/or reversable mods, wanted to 'keep it real')

-finn m39 2 stage trigger;
-shimmed behind the recoil lug, and along the recoil lug to true the action in the stock,
-shimmed the rear side tang, again to further allign the action to the stock,
-sanded the barrel channel,
-sanded the handguard to free float the barrel completely,
-adjusted the hand guard ring retainers so they stay put,
-polished the crown,
-polished the bolt.

The results are in the pic. Shot with open sights, regular 1938 izhevsk.

The load;

ppu brass
winchester large rifle primer
45 grain imr 4064
.311 180 grain sierra pro hunter, seated so there's minimal to no bullet jump.

I just love it when you beat the pants off the guy next to you who is shooting a $1k scoped rifle & you're just using a $150 mosin with open sights...:D

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp182/vincentvangerven/DSCN3816.jpg

vincentvangerven
12-21-2010, 10:34 AM
big 5 sale is on again. just bought another 1944 izhevsk with a brand spanking new bore and a mirror sharp 1935 ex sniper pe hex tula with the 'sniperfication' date may 1942 on it....
there is no cure for mosinitus i guess :D

CEDaytonaRydr
12-21-2010, 2:13 PM
big 5 sale is on again. just bought another 1944 izhevsk with a brand spanking new bore and a mirror sharp 1935 ex sniper pe hex tula with the 'sniperfication' date may 1942 on it....
there is no cure for mosinitus i guess :D

Decided to also check out big 5 san mateo; 5 mosins, bought 2 of them; both new bores, no electro pencilling, :D

Where are you seeing these ones that have no electro penciling? Every Big 5 I've checked only has the ones that have been marked with new serial numbers... :confused:

Flyin Brian
12-21-2010, 2:34 PM
alrighty, after many hours of tuning i finally got my tack driving mosin ready. shot the best group so far today.

I just love it when you beat the pants off the guy next to you who is shooting a $1k scoped rifle & you're just using a $150 mosin with open sights...:D

Nice group Vincent. What distance were you shooting?

vincentvangerven
12-21-2010, 2:41 PM
big 5 redwood city & 100 yards :)

CEDaytonaRydr
12-21-2010, 6:37 PM
big 5 redwood city

I just checked a different big 5. All the ones they have are stamped with CAI serial numbers too...

How did your store get one without a new serial number? :confused:

vincentvangerven
12-21-2010, 7:09 PM
electro pencelling is what the russians did when they re- arsenalled them. the import mark is punched in as far as i know, not electro pencelled.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-21-2010, 7:38 PM
electro pencelling is what the russians did when they re- arsenalled them. the import mark is punched in as far as i know, not electro pencelled.

Ah! Sorry...

Misunderstood... :o

Anchors
12-21-2010, 7:56 PM
If that's a 47 dated 91/30, it needs a restoration. They are very rare.

Is 47 the last year they made them?
I thought the m44 and 59s were the only ones produced after the war ended?

mosinnagantm9130
12-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Is 47 the last year they made them?
I thought the m44 and 59s were the only ones produced after the war ended?

Production of standard 91/30 infantry models stopped in 1944. However, small lots were produced post war as sniper rifles. As you can imagine, any post war 91/30 is quite rare, even rarer if it's not an ex-sniper. The latest I have seen a picture of was a 1950 Izhevsk.

Anchors
12-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Production of standard 91/30 infantry models stopped in 1944. However, small lots were produced post war as sniper rifles. As you can imagine, any post war 91/30 is quite rare, even rarer if it's not an ex-sniper. The latest I have seen a picture of was a 1950 Izhevsk.

Oh man. I can just imagine salivating over a 50 Sniper. Or even ex-sniper.
What a rifle!

So even 45's are rare huh?

mosinnagantm9130
12-21-2010, 11:28 PM
So even 45's are rare huh?

Yes, both for 91/30's and m38's. Although a 45 dated 91/30 would be harder to find than a 45 dated m38.

Anchors
12-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Yes, both for 91/30's and m38's. Although a 45 dated 91/30 would be harder to find than a 45 dated m38.

Thanks for the heads up.
No wonder there are so many '44 Tula 91/30s.
My sniper was '44 Tula. Wish I would have never sold it to buy a Gen 4 Glock and an LCP.
Oh well.

Flintlock Tom
12-22-2010, 12:14 PM
How does one tell an ex-sniper from a run-of-the-mill 91/30?

hybridatsun350
12-22-2010, 12:18 PM
How does one tell an ex-sniper from a run-of-the-mill 91/30?

Pull the bolt out and look at the inside wall of the receiver. If it's an ex-sniper, you'll see two or three filled holes from where the scope was mounted. You may also see a stock repair, as well, but the stocks are often not original to the rifle so the receiver is your best bet.

Anchors
12-22-2010, 1:08 PM
Pull the bolt out and look at the inside wall of the receiver. If it's an ex-sniper, you'll see two or three filled holes from where the scope was mounted. You may also see a stock repair, as well, but the stocks are often not original to the rifle so the receiver is your best bet.

"Tula ex-sniper would be marked CN or CH on the barrel above the crest. An Izhevsk would have scope serial numbers on the barrel at the outer chamber area along the left side of the wood line of the stock. These numbers were often "scrubbed" when the rifles were de-snipered."

This has been my experience too.