PDA

View Full Version : garand mk2 mod#?

sevensix2x51
11-26-2010, 4:37 PM
so, eh, what do i have here? mod0 or mod1? i cant tell if i have a chamber insert or not. its a aug 43 springfield receiver (which probably doesnt matter) and it has the 7.62 nato h&r stamp, with really old white paint in it. is there a way to tell? the breechface looks like stainless. anyways, somebody has to know this. i never shoot it, its just too nice. but i kind of need some play money for other projects, just wondering as to the value of this ole' relic. thanks! :)
i just need some aid in deciphering which variation of the rifle i have here. any clues, stamps, etc to give me a hint?
more pics available on demand. dont really want to pull the rifle apart, its got a nice bedding job, and the front wood is all bonded together to keep the groups tight. sorry this one is blurry, ill try to play around and get a better one.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=76610&stc=1&d=1290818136

sevensix2x51
11-26-2010, 4:43 PM
ok, i am guessing that this is probably the mod0, since it has the springfield stamps originally. does that seem accurate? i thought h&r made the barrels new for the mk1... here is a better shot.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=76612&stc=1&d=1290818563

sevensix2x51
11-26-2010, 7:05 PM
hmm. pretty sure this is a mod 1! seeing as how the cmp site says that springfield made this barrel in 7.62 nato, then h&r just added it again! this is good news for me, methinks!

The early SA made barrels had “7.62MM” marked on the barrel in letters that were the same size as the drawing number. The contractor, AMF or H&R, then added “7.62MM” in larger letters, as well as their own markings, and filled them with white paint. Later SA barrels had factory added “7.62MM” markings approximately the same size as the contractors “7.62 NATO” markings. It appears they were taking no chances identifying what cartridge the rifle used!

blu97
11-26-2010, 8:39 PM
Let me know how much you want for it.