PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision-PVS14 rifle mounted? Anyone ever think about getting one?

insin
11-26-2010, 3:10 PM
Hello all,
Since this is the rifle forum I will start off by asking about rifle mounted systems, but this question applies to any type of PVS14 setup. Anyone think about getting one? If you have, do you think they are worth the money?

Thanks

digitalelf
11-26-2010, 3:25 PM
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think this falls under Penal Code 468: Sniperscopes...

Sniperscopes (emphasis mine)

A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm that enables the operator to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light source and an electronic telescope. (Penal Code 468.)

Any person who buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or possesses a sniperscope is guilty of a misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply to authorized use or possession of sniperscopes by members of the armed forces or peace officers, and does not prohibit use or possession solely for scientific research or educational purposes. (Penal Code 468.)

tomd1584
11-26-2010, 3:27 PM
they're what, $3,000?

Unless you play alot at night, or just have wads of cash there is a lot of stuff (ammo & training) you can buy with that money.

I'm not saying it wouldnt be cool to have....

CavTrooper
11-26-2010, 3:30 PM
Theyre expensive. If youve got the loot to blow, go for it.

CavTrooper
11-26-2010, 3:30 PM
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think this falls under Penal Code 468: Sniperscopes...

Sniperscopes

A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm that enables the operator to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light source and an electronic telescope. (Penal Code 468.)

Any person who buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or possesses a sniperscope is guilty of a misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply to authorized use or possession of sniperscopes by members of the armed forces or peace officers, and does not prohibit use or possession solely for scientific research or educational purposes. (Penal Code 468.)

The PVS-14 is not a "telescope".

brando
11-26-2010, 3:33 PM
Head mounted PVS-14 with laser and IR illuminator is the way to go, if you can swing it. That's the standard by which our warfighters do battle. However, you will see picatinny mounts for PVS-14s which on the surface seem cool until you try to actually do something with it. On an AR or battle rifle, it's just too awkward and in a run and gun fight you'd be constantly going from "I can't see squat" to "I'm looking through a friggin' scope". So then you think it makes sense to mount on a precision rifle until you look at how scopes are mounted on them and realize there's no real estate to place the NOD between your eye and scope without moving the scope WAY forward. FWIW, this is the reason the 22, 26 and 27 forward mounted UNS style NODs are popular on precision rifles.

So with that in mind, it seems kind of pointless to do it, if you ask me. There are significant advantages when wearing a 14 over one eye and using a laser and illuminator on a rifle - that's how it's supposed to be done.

CavTrooper
11-26-2010, 3:35 PM
Head mounted PVS-14 with laser and IR illuminator is the way to go, if you can swing it. That's the standard by which our warfighters do battle. However, you will see picatinny mounts for PVS-14s which on the surface seem cool until you try to actually do something with it. On an AR or battle rifle, it's just too awkward and in a run and gun fight you'd be constantly going from "I can't see squat" to "I'm looking through a friggin' scope". So then you think it makes sense to mount on a precision rifle until you look at how scopes are mounted on them and realize there's no real estate to place the NOD between your eye and scope without moving the scope WAY forward. FWIW, this is the reason the 22, 26 and 27 forward mounted UNS style NODs are popular on precision rifles.

So with that in mind, it seems kind of pointless to do it, if you ask me. There are significant advantages when wearing a 14 over one eye and using a laser and illuminator on a rifle - that's how it's supposed to be done.

Werd.

Whats the new deeleo.. the PVS 22 or whatever, that mounts forward of the day scope.. thats the ticket right there.

Exile Machine
11-26-2010, 3:35 PM
through the use of a projected infrared light source and an electronic telescope

That describes Gen 0 night vision invented during WWII. PVS-14 is Gen 3. Does not emit or project any light toward the target. Intensifies existing low levels of light only.

$3000? We have 'em on Black Friday sale for $2499 (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_23&products_id=306). Will most likely extend that price through the weekend.

-Mark

CavTrooper
11-26-2010, 3:36 PM
That describes Gen 0 night vision invented during WWII. PVS-14 is Gen 3. Does not emit or project any light toward the target. Intensifies existing low levels of light only.

$3000? We have 'em on Black Friday sale for $2499 (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_23&products_id=306). Will most likely extend that price through the weekend.

-Mark

The PVS-14 does have an IR light emitter though.

ke6guj
11-26-2010, 3:51 PM

the safe bet is to have that onboard IR illuminator removed or disabled. That way it can't fall under the sniperscope definition.

I'd be leary of trying to claim it is not a telescope unless you are absolutely sure that it is 1.000000x, and not something like 1.1x where they could argue that it is a magnifying telescope.

digitalelf
11-26-2010, 3:58 PM
To me, it sounds like one of those areas where the letter of the law is on your side, but the potential cost in court/lawyer fees is not a battle I'd want...

Besides, aside from the "tacticool" factor, I personally have zero need for a NV device to be mounted directly onto any of my rifles...

So (again for me) it's all moot anyway...

Thanks for the clarifications however :)

Exile Machine
11-26-2010, 4:29 PM

That's an IR LED used for very nearby tasks. But I could see how that would fall under the cited PC. Those detected objects would be very close... The manufacturer can disable or omit that LED for a CA-compliant PVS-14.

insin
11-26-2010, 4:32 PM
I only mentioned weapon/rifle mounted to get this thread in this forum. I would go helmet/ head mounted to get the best use.

Where exactly can one pick up a PVS14 for $2400?

Exile Machine
11-26-2010, 4:35 PM
Where exactly can one pick up a PVS14 for $2400?

Entire kit for $2499 right here: https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_23&products_id=306

ETA: Update: The factory can omit that IR Illuminator completely, no problem. So this would be good to go rifle-mounted. Just check the checkbox at the bottom of the product page when you order.

Magnification of this product is 1X. So it's not a telescope. With the IR source permanently disabled, there's no way it could be construed to fall under PC 468.

Bangbangboogie
11-26-2010, 9:34 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=322481

pvs-14 buyer guide, also look at the tnvc tm-14 twist mount