PDA

View Full Version : So what gun rights organizations will actually show at the DOJ meeting? Step up

CalGunsNoob
07-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I think a sizeable number of Calgunners would like to support a pro-gun organization (NRA, California Rifle and Pistol Association) but feel as though neither is doing much for them. This may be misguided thinking and may not. I'm not that well versed in what either organization does here in Cali. Needless to say,the profiles seem rather low. Of course, Cali is a pretty tough row to hoe.

So which gun organization will show up at the DOJ meeting on Aug. 17? Which will actually help make a case?

Are there any NRA or CRPA staffers here on Calguns who can step up and say 'yes, we'll be there in an official capacity'?

Sound off.

glen avon
07-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I will be there for AHPFO.

A-Holes for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership

:D :D

tankerman
07-02-2006, 2:09 PM
My votes for Mini Me, I'll sent a buck to hire him as lobbyist, that would scare the crap out them.

bwiese
07-02-2006, 2:53 PM
I'll be there, dammit.

(Will be glad to meet you, GlenAvon).

Beer & skittles afterwards...

For those who can go: suit & tie and shined shoes, or sportcoat & press slacks. Dress the best you can. Impressions count.

Blacktail 8541
07-02-2006, 5:37 PM
I'll be there, on the 16th as stated. Some threads have the 17th listed. Hope some one will make the corrections. I feel Bill is correct in his assesment of the type of dress code that should be worn, wear appropriate clothing if you have it, but attendance is what is the most sought.

paradox
07-02-2006, 7:03 PM
For those who can go: suit & tie and shined shoes, or sportcoat & press slacks. Dress the best you can. Impressions count.

Remember that this is Sacramento in August. I think a nice dress shirt and pants would make a better impression than a three piece suit and copious amounts of perspiration (aka gushing buckets of sweat).

rhunter
07-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I am posting this again FYI. Please read before you send a letter to DOJ.

My wife works for a federal agency that works with the State of California on regulatory issues. She deals with these comment periods all the time. Her advice to me on how to make an impression:

Flood them with letters. Even if you can only send a generic letter that someone posts here and you SIGN and SEND. They have to tally and take all correspondence into consideration. Multiple letters have the “weight effect.” They cannot just throw them away. Send certified if you are worried about this.

If you are like me send a personal letter, but follow this general format. Letters should have several parts to give them more gravity.

1. Introduction (I object, I concur with the point being made,
2. You credentials/qualifications (sportsman, law abiding, etc)
3. Short and succinct points of objection, use bullet points,
Ex. Unclear to what the intent the change is, Intent is unsupported, history of issue, why promulgation of change now, legislation does not support this change, what effect will this have regarding the intent of the legislation, I fear it and why, Goal of legislation does not support what the change will achieve.
4. Propose alternatives. (Just for this issue, not all of ugly gun law)

Other ways to get more attention and turn the heat up:
Notify the media. (May not be a good idea in our situation?)
Notify our lobbyist (NRA, CPRA)

This is not giving anything away to the DOJ, these are standards that the bureaucrats like, but do not expect from the public. Every agency is different; some read the letters as they come in, some wait until the end. It really depends upon who is working on the issue and other workload issues. Flooding them with letters at the end of the cycle may or may not have the desired effect.

Sawdust
07-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Sounds good to me; has anyone posted any talking points, by any chance?

Sawdust

chris
07-03-2006, 12:07 AM
it would be a great idea for someone to type up a good generic letter to send in. it would blow them away if they recieved thousands of letters on this issue.

xenophobe
07-03-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm sure there will be a few industry representatives... someone from DSArms, another from Vulcan perhaps... Maybe even someone from Robinson Armamament... The NRA should be there as well as CRPA and a few gun clubs in official status I'm sure.

It'll be interesting to hear the rundown of attendees who will be speaking.

jemaddux
07-03-2006, 6:30 AM
I'm sure there will be a few industry representatives... someone from DSArms, another from Vulcan perhaps... Maybe even someone from Robinson Armamament... The NRA should be there as well as CRPA and a few gun clubs in official status I'm sure.

It'll be interesting to hear the rundown of attendees who will be speaking.

Well I hope to see some reps from NRA but as I have stated before I am not holding my breath on that one. I will be there. I am going to drive the motorhome up the day before, so at least I will be well rested for all this. One question I am currious of, would there be a way we could bring in a few firearms to show the problems of the change and how it would effect other firearms such as SKS?

Ford8N
07-03-2006, 6:35 AM
One of the big things I notice about anything to do with AW laws is how this is affecting law enforcement. A lot of OLL and AW owners are LEOs. It would be cool if a bunch of AW owning LEO's would let them know how this definition will affect them, since LEOs carry more authority than us "little people" with the DOJ.

glen avon
07-03-2006, 8:09 AM
nah. the response will be LEOs can have anything they legitimately need incl. MGs.

glen avon
07-03-2006, 8:10 AM
...would there be a way we could bring in a few firearms to show the problems of the change and how it would effect other firearms such as SKS?

call and ask.

Rascal
07-03-2006, 1:06 PM
They probably wouldn't let you bring in weapons, but you could show pictures.
That's better than nothing

bwiese
07-03-2006, 10:50 PM
The last big DOJ regulatory meeting w/r/t AW stuff back in 2000 was a bit contentious - at least on DOJ's part. I wasn't there, but I heard security was very very tight and there was a real 'clampdown' atmosphere.

I would not expect any difference in August.

tenpercentfirearms
07-04-2006, 9:33 AM
So can I carry my CCW? :D I think I will leave it in the car.