PDA

View Full Version : opinions on Yamaha receivers?

mzimmers
11-26-2010, 9:57 AM
I've long been a fan of Yamaha products, but haven't bought their electronics in quite a while. I'm looking at this receiver:

RX V1900 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v1900_black__u/?mode=model)

Buy.com has a pretty big discount on them.

Any opinions?

den888
11-26-2010, 5:05 PM
I bought my first one in 1984 and it lasted about 20 years with careful use. I bought another one in 2007 (HTR-5940) and it has run pretty well so far.

They seem to be still pretty well built.

Mstrty
11-26-2010, 5:19 PM
Its a great unit for todays technology. It only supports HDMI 1.3. It wont handle the bandwidth of tomorrow's HDMI HD products. The New 3D tv's already require 1.4a to pass 3D video and HD audio above what S/PDIF can handle.
In other word's if 1080p television with DD or DTS is all you desire this is your rig.

+1 on the 4 HDMI inputs you need that at minimum today.

If you are not running your entire AV system through this amp then this is an overkill.

let us know some more information on your setup and future plans and I can help better.

Mstrty
11-26-2010, 5:30 PM
Here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058341) is 182 page thread on that unit. (first shipped Aug 2008)

IMO, do you homework you will appreciate your purchase more.

mzimmers
11-26-2010, 5:43 PM
Its a great unit for todays technology. It only supports HDMI 1.3. It wont handle the bandwidth of tomorrow's HDMI HD products. The New 3D tv's already require 1.4a to pass 3D video and HD audio above what S/PDIF can handle.
In other word's if 1080p television with DD or DTS is all you desire this is your rig.

+1 on the 4 HDMI inputs you need that at minimum today.

If you are not running your entire AV system through this amp then this is an overkill.

let us know some more information on your setup and future plans and I can help better.

My setup is pretty old. My TV is about 12 years old, rear-projection technology. I'm probably going to replace this with an HD in the next year. I have a Blu-ray player and am a AT&T Uverse and Netflix customer. I have five speakers plus my powered subwoofer. What else can I tell you?

Thanks...

Mstrty
11-26-2010, 6:26 PM
My setup is pretty old. My TV is about 12 years old, rear-projection technology. I'm probably going to replace this with an HD in the next year. I have a Blu-ray player and am a AT&T Uverse and Netflix customer. I have five speakers plus my powered subwoofer. What else can I tell you?

Thanks...

This unit will complement your current system well with a current HDTV attached. I run all my components through my receiver. HDMI in and out is important to me. With an Logitec Harmony remote (or newer) you can run everything with one remote with a single one button (current viewing devices on) and a one button (everything off setup). It is the cats meow with this type of AV setup. Your Tv needs to go but wait till after Xmas. The market is flooded with last year models currently. Sales are off and they cant give them away. If you have been watching Black Friday prices then I want to assure you that you will get better than Black Friday prices come post superbowl 2011.

This amp does have features that you may never use. Internet Radio and Video.
If you do not use an am to switch video you might look for less featured A/V unit. If you not switching video through your amp you should be.
Myself Im a Pioneer Elite kind of guy. You will enjoy whatever you get as long as it has the features and future features you want.

Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, is a lot like the Glock, XD, Sig type of question. Successful companies all make good stuff.

mzimmers
11-26-2010, 6:30 PM
This amp does have features that you may never use. Internet Radio and Video.
If you do not use an am to switch video you might look for less featured A/V unit. If you not switching video through your amp you should be.
Myself Im a Pioneer Elite kind of guy. You will enjoy whatever you get as long as it has the features and future features you want.

I'm sure this model has stuff I'll never use. What attracted me to it was the pretty deep discount that buy.com is offering on it, but if there's a less-featured Yamaha that will still work for me, and not become obsolete in a way meaningful to me for awhile, I'm more than happy to entertain suggestions.

Mstrty
11-26-2010, 7:05 PM
I'm sure this model has stuff I'll never use. What attracted me to it was the pretty deep discount that buy.com is offering on it, but if there's a less-featured Yamaha that will still work for me, and not become obsolete in a way meaningful to me for awhile, I'm more than happy to entertain suggestions.

IMO it is already obsolite. I wouldnt buy any receiver that didnt support 1.4a HDMI today. But Im more of a buy once cry once kind of guy.

Yamaha RX-V565 A/V Receiver
Pioneer VSX-820-K A/V Receiver

Both of the above units will do what I believe you want.

Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver

and this will do more for the same money as the RX V1900.

mzimmers
11-26-2010, 7:11 PM
the RX-V565 is on sale at buy.com for about $310. Decent deal?

I too like to buy once and buy right. I'm just so out of touch with developing technologies in this area, I don't even know what to look for.

RRangel
11-26-2010, 7:21 PM
I just checked out prices at Buy.com just to get an idea and you can't really go wrong if you're not concerned with the latest HDMI. I'd much prefer an Outlaw Audio 2.1 stereo receiver myself. Then again I don't much care for home theater.

mzimmers
11-26-2010, 8:08 PM
I just checked out prices at Buy.com just to get an idea and you can't really go wrong if you're not concerned with the latest HDMI. I'd much prefer an Outlaw Audio 2.1 stereo receiver myself. Then again I don't much care for home theater.

Sounds like you're more audio-centric than I am. My ears just aren't good enough to tell the difference between good audio, and great audio. I'm not a total video-head, either, but my current receiver has a problem, and I'm getting in the mood for something new. I just hope it's easier to use than the old one; my old Mitsubishi is quite unintuitive and my GF occasionally has trouble with it.

Mute
11-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Yamaha for the most part makes solid, quality receivers. I also like Onkyo for great bang for the buck.

mzimmers
12-28-2010, 5:20 PM
Bombmaster -

I'm getting closer to making a decision. Does the Yamaha 565 still look like the way to go? I also noticed the 467; what do you think about that?