PDA

View Full Version : Looking for gunsmith in Bay Area

jdm49
07-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Does anyone know a good gunsmith I can take my barrel to for a well done flash hider / compensator swap? I would like to make a gripless / detachable build. I can do the lower assembly, but I don't have any experience with the uppers.

I don't have the tools to do it properly and am a little wary of doing anything to my ARs that is in and around the part that goes 'bang'. I would rather see it done properly before having a barrel explode because I forgot xxxx.

Thanks

dwtt
07-01-2006, 11:12 PM
You can use a wrench to remove the flash suppressor. Hold the barrel in a vise with two wooden blocks with circular cut outs. It's not hard to do and you won't break anything. You might end up with something like this:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/dwtt/Cimg0092.jpg

adamsreeftank
07-02-2006, 1:16 AM
As long as you don't have a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned FH, it is very easy to swap. You just have to be careful not to put too much torque between the barrel and the upper. That is why you should use blocks and put the barrel in a vise (like dwtt suggests). Don't put the upper receiver in a vise.

The laws about what is a flash supressor and what is a muzzle break are kind of murky now thanks to a DOJ opinion, so you might just want to go with a thread protector.

antarius
07-02-2006, 8:14 AM
I'm also looking for a gun smith to make minor modifications to the frame of a 1911 I own.

Anyone have a good one in the bay area?

adamsreeftank
07-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm also looking for a gun smith to make minor modifications to the frame of a 1911 I own.

Anyone have a good one in the bay area?

The best 1911 smith in the Bay Area is John Jardine, but you may have a very long wait unless you are active duty military or LEO. Even then, it might still be a while. If he recommended anyone, I would trust them to do the work.

antarius
07-03-2006, 2:38 PM
The best 1911 smith in the Bay Area is John Jardine, but you may have a very long wait unless you are active duty military or LEO. Even then, it might still be a while. If he recommended anyone, I would trust them to do the work.
Thanks. I am active LEO, but I don't mind waiting regardless. It's not currently a duty weapon so I don't care if it sits in his hands for a while.

adamsreeftank
07-03-2006, 3:46 PM
Thanks. I am active LEO, but I don't mind waiting regardless. It's not currently a duty weapon so I don't care if it sits in his hands for a while.

In that case, he is the one to go to. Here is his contact page:

http://www.jardinescustom.com/contactus.html

Pablo
07-04-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know about the "1911" but regarding the "AR" try John at the "Gun Exchange" he has been in the business for a long time. He is refinishing my barrel right now.
If you want more info just ask "Xeno" about his work. He knows him pretty well.

mltrading
07-04-2006, 6:25 AM
DIY on AR15 is not difficult. Get a set of barrel vise (or use regular vise with two pieces of wood) to hold your barrel firmly then you are good to go. Just don't put too much torque on upper receiver. If you need the barrel vise, I can lend you one. I am in SF Bay area.

xenophobe
07-04-2006, 9:10 AM
I don't know about the "1911" but regarding the "AR" try John at the "Gun Exchange" he has been in the business for a long time. He is refinishing my barrel right now.
If you want more info just ask "Xeno" about his work. He knows him pretty well.

John @ SJGE is probably one of the most competent gunsmiths in the state... his metal work is excellent to impeccable... you just need to be sure that you're willing to wait for the job to be done right, he's got a lot of work and is busy and a simple project can take a few days to a few weeks, and something more complicated may take months...

He's going to do a custom M1A SHTF... he's going to shorten my gas system to 13" so I can have a KX3 permanently attached and still have a barrel length of 16", I'm getting a Sage stock, having it chopped so that it will fit. It's going to be a unique project and I trust him to get the job done right... but I know it'll take a while to get done. I'm fine with that.

thmpr
07-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Mike,
Does John repair AR lowers? Repair scratches, dents, and refinish?

Thanks!

m24armorer
07-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks Xeno! It was good to see you this weekend. We really miss you at the shop. No one pissed off Mike quite as well as you did.

God love ya!

J.

bwiese
07-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks Xeno! It was good to see you this weekend. We really miss you at the shop. No one pissed off Mike quite as well as you did.

I imagine he was pretty useful keeping the deli sandwiches from spoiling, too ;)