PDA

View Full Version : Ammo storage in gun safe?

Hoologan
11-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Doing some research on gun safes, I've come across several pictures of people's safes and noted that many people store boxes of ammo in the safe.

Now, I can see keeping some loaded magazines at the ready in the safe, but I don't see the point of storing ammo in there since ammo, by itself is not inherently dangerous or anything. I couldn't possibly fit all of my ammo in my safe anyways so I keep it in a separate unsecured cabinet. Am I missing something?

Happy Thanksgiving.

bohoki
11-25-2010, 10:21 AM
i cant fit my ammo in any gunsafe i figure if you got room for ammo you either

A) dont have enough ammo
B) dont have enough guns

wellerjohn
11-25-2010, 10:22 AM

A) dont have enough ammo
B) dont have enough guns

+1:D

Echidin
11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd rather store my ammo in my safe then for it to turn up missing. I'm not stockpiling ammo for someone to break into my house and walk off with.

Saym14
11-25-2010, 12:51 PM

A) dont have enough ammo
B) dont have enough guns

C) your safe is not big enough :p

Hot Brass
11-25-2010, 1:38 PM
2nd safe needed.

bsg
11-25-2010, 2:05 PM
i keep some ammo in the safe, but most of it is kept in a separate locked area.

Maltese Falcon
11-25-2010, 2:23 PM
I have some high dollar ammo in the main safe.

There are 6-7 ammo cans on top of that.

Second older safe is completely full of ammo.

Man cave closet has another eight to ten cases of ammo.

Garage has a few ammo cns of older ammo.

SUV has an ammo can of 223, I am too lazy to move out.

....i.e., It goes were there is room. :D

gotgunz
11-25-2010, 3:31 PM
Kept in safe to:

1. Secure it... ammo is expensive these days.

2. In case of house fire... reduces the risk for "cook offs".

billped
11-25-2010, 5:44 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of ammo and the risk of it being stolen. The $/lb of ammo is such that it is usually far smarter to steal electronics, watches, jewelry, etc. Heck, my spam cans of 5.45mm costs something like $80 and weighs 30 pounds each. Someone may as well steal my penny jar.

Re: securing it, I don't have one yet, but I will purchase a lower-end safe like a cheapie Sentry. That will keep the kids/wife/neighbors out. I also like the aspect of keeping it a bit safer in terms of a fire. Less chance of it going off and, if it does, a bit more stuff to go through before it flies around and hurts someone.

Granted, if you have some $5/round ammo laying around, that would be worth protecting more, but will the typical thief know what he is looking at?

Bill

P.S. I looked it up. My 5.45 is worth about twice as much as my penny jar, pound for pound. ;-)

Bizcuits
11-25-2010, 6:59 PM
Doing some research on gun safes, I've come across several pictures of people's safes and noted that many people store boxes of ammo in the safe.

Now, I can see keeping some loaded magazines at the ready in the safe, but I don't see the point of storing ammo in there since ammo, by itself is not inherently dangerous or anything. I couldn't possibly fit all of my ammo in my safe anyways so I keep it in a separate unsecured cabinet. Am I missing something?

Happy Thanksgiving.

In case of fire.

Dhena81
11-26-2010, 12:20 AM
I don't keep ammo in the safe because its not recommended because if you do gun powder in a sealed container = a bomb. Lets say you keep it in your security/fire safe I don't know but what's the temp it would take to set off all or some of your cartridges? If your trying to protect your valuables from fire if a cartridge goes off inside your safe won't that be bad. Your safe won't get ride of higher than atmospheric pressure readily what will happen to your stuff? I've been thinking about this and I think I'm going to get like a metal locker or something.

johnthomas
11-26-2010, 12:46 AM
The doj recommends the ammo and guns be stored separate. That said, I don't have enough room in the safe for both. I am getting another safe this weekend. I will store the ammo in the cheaper made one. Not to thread jack folks, my son in law (PD) told me today, more safes are being taken from homes instead of trying to break into them at the house. I will be securing the new one to the floor as soon as I bring it home. If you don't have a safe, not alarmed, put the guns in the crawl space in the attic. If you live in an apartment, be aware that your crawl space may have access from another apartment.

pennys dad
11-26-2010, 7:59 AM
keep loaded mags and ammo in the safe. have ammo cans and battle paks everywhere. i have been considering an ammo safe and based on JohnThomas's post, I will secure to the ground

chesterthehero
11-26-2010, 8:21 AM
i keep handgun ammo in the safe.. at first it was just to keep it out of little hands now its to do what i can to keep it out of anyone elses hands..
when it comes to BG its a much desired item as are any firearms so ill do what i can to keep it out of their hands.. its in a cheap safe but its what ive got..

Hoologan
11-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys. These are all the reasons that I suspected. I have many more valuable things in my house than the little bit of ammo that I could fit in my safe so I guess I'm not too worried about it.

CSACANNONEER
11-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Before I had a powder magazine, I used to store powder in a fire resistant safe. But, my safes are overflowing and I now have a powder magazine.

Rhythm of Life
11-26-2010, 10:19 AM
When your safe can't/isn't bolted down a couple thousand rounds of ammo can definitely add some heft to make it harder to move.

The only ammo in my safe is in my loaded magazines.

incredablehefey
11-26-2010, 11:51 AM
i keep most of my ammo in my safe, i figure 2000 rounds of .40= new gun, but i have plenty of room in my safe

YZINGERR
11-26-2010, 5:10 PM
I keep ammo in the safe to weigh it down (even though it is bolted, IT STILL CAN BE STOLEN), and so kids cant play with it.

PLUS, my safe has humidity robbing devices that also keep the ammo bone dry!