PDA

View Full Version : mags and ammo?

subway
07-01-2006, 3:20 PM
Sorry if the answer is easily found; but I've tried reading through the California laws and going online and searching for all related terms, without luck. My question concerns the carrying of a)ammo, b)magazines, + c) ammo in magazines.

Assuming that there is NO firearm anwhere in the immediate vicinity, are there any restrictions regarding my ability to walk around in possession of "a,b, or c" (above)? While I like the idea that if there is no specific law that talks about walking around with a 9mm mag in my shirt pocket, well, then it must be legal; but I'd rather not test that idea out.

On a more practical level, lets say that my rifle is securely locked away in the trunk of my car, unloade, with no ammo anywhere in the case. Can I legally drvie around with that rifle in the trunk while wearing a vest that holds a half dozen mags for that rife?

Sorry...this seems like it should be a common question for new guys, and therefore should exist online somewhere. But I couldn't find it. Can I walk around in public with a box of ammo in my pockets? And does loading that ammo into magazines change its status somehow? (even if there is no firearm to be found?)

CalNRA
07-01-2006, 4:16 PM
Some will say that the mag is not a gun so the "no ammo attached to the gun" thing won't apply, but there are exceptions where a harsh DA could argue the mag is a part of the gun therefore making it loaded. It's up to your discretion...

Stanze
07-01-2006, 4:23 PM
A loaded mag constitutes a firearm in CA if you're a gang member or felon.

I'm not a lawyer, read the actual law.

megavolt121
07-01-2006, 9:06 PM

Read the post... I've tried reading through the California laws and going online and searching for all related terms

Librarian
07-02-2006, 3:34 PM
Sorry if the answer is easily found; but I've tried reading through the California laws and going online and searching for all related terms, without luck. My question concerns the carrying of a)ammo, b)magazines, + c) ammo in magazines.

Assuming that there is NO firearm anwhere in the immediate vicinity, are there any restrictions regarding my ability to walk around in possession of "a,b, or c" (above)? While I like the idea that if there is no specific law that talks about walking around with a 9mm mag in my shirt pocket, well, then it must be legal; but I'd rather not test that idea out.Other than the gang-member/felon restriction, and places like airport 'sterile' areas, it isn't specifically against the law, so far as I can tell.

On a more practical level, lets say that my rifle is securely locked away in the trunk of my car, unloade, with no ammo anywhere in the case. Can I legally drvie around with that rifle in the trunk while wearing a vest that holds a half dozen mags for that rifle?Not onto a school campus (without authorization from the local CEO). There might be other posted places. I think magazines in a bag on the floor would be more comfortable, myself.

Sorry...this seems like it should be a common question for new guys, and therefore should exist online somewhere. But I couldn't find it. Can I walk around in public with a box of ammo in my pockets? And does loading that ammo into magazines change its status somehow? (even if there is no firearm to be found?)Without the firearm, magazines are irrelevant, except as probable cause to search for the matching gun.

The question I think you need to answer for yourself is "what benefit do I get from doing this?" I carry money in case I want to buy something; I carry a knife in case I need to cut something. I would carry ammo, without a firearm, ummmm, I dunno why I would do that in any ordinary set of circumstances. Same with magazines, with or without ammunition; without reasonably expecting access to a firearm to use it, seems like rather an exotic pocket weight.

But for most places, it doesn't seem to be explicitly prohibited.

You do remember the value of 'free' advice, I hope.

Jicko
07-03-2006, 1:47 AM
Originally Posted by Stanze:

Originally Posted by subway
I've tried reading through the California laws and going online and searching for all related terms

Read the post...

You post is COMPLETELY useless.....

What "Stanze" said is totally correct and is according to the LAW. But since, INTERNET has always been NOT *the* place to seek 100% correct legal advice, "Stanze" just don't want "Subway" take what he said as grant.... just a disclaimer kinda thing....

If what "Stanze" said can give a "warm and fuzzy feeling" to "Subway"... then, that's it... if "Subway" REALLY want 100% correct legal advice, he can either "read the law and understand it" OR "consult a lawyer"......

FYI, as far as I am concerned(since I'm not a gang member), a magazine is NOT a FIREARM(and I can purchase it online, and have it shipped to my home).... and I can have a LOADED "non-firearm" on me and I am not in voliation of ANY law.....

Stanze
07-03-2006, 2:44 AM
Read the post...

Read the disclaimer.:rolleyes:

So, would "I'm a lawyer, don't read the law." of stopped you from stating the obvious? Of course I read the post, if you don't have something constructive to add, seriously let intelligent people discuss.:rolleyes: