PDA

View Full Version : Gripless AKs: Use Norinco Hunter style trigger! *pics*

JPglee1
07-01-2006, 8:57 AM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/hunter_type_1b.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/hunter_type_11.jpg

Im thinking Im gonna TIG weld an extension on an AK trigger and use a SAIGA stock...whatcha think?

Then, when you go back to "free" america to shoot, you can swap the PG/Stock/Trigger w/out major mods or tools... 30 seconds back and forth :)

I guess you'd have to change the trigger guard too.

Anyway, Im thinking this could be a decent solution for people wanting an offlist AK w/detachable mags without having to drill extra holes in the receiver for SAIGA parts.

JP

glen avon
07-01-2006, 10:23 AM
notice the mag catch is different too.

that trigger is the easiest way to use the saige stock, but the geometry must result in a loooong break.

BTW saiga stocks are not all that and a bag of chips. I think the PG is swept way too far back, at least an inch.

JPglee1
07-01-2006, 11:50 AM
BTW saiga stocks are not all that and a bag of chips. I think the PG is swept way too far back, at least an inch.

I dunno, I just got a stock set and put it on my plastic dummy receiver and it feels OK to me... :)

I think I could make it work with a modded AK magazine catch...

J

JPglee1
07-01-2006, 11:52 AM
notice the mag catch is different too.

that trigger is the easiest way to use the saige stock, but the geometry must result in a loooong break.

The mag catch at the top looks like an AK style with slight mods to get rid of the trigger guard attached to it...

As far as a long break goes, It could be fixed with some TIG welding on the trigger and some adjustment in the FCG...Im surprised more people don't dial in their AK FCGs with shims/welding/filing, you can get the take up and break to be VERY nice with a little work (they're made super loose so they fit any/all AK, if you tune em to yours its a lot nicer)

Thanks for the input dude.

J

glen avon
07-01-2006, 12:20 PM
I see, there are 2 differnt mag catches. I missed that. yes, the top one is a std AK less the trigger guard part. it doesn't look as sano, but fnx is 100%. the bottom one is smoother, but I don't know where to get the parts reasonably. the top one works, though. I paid about $8 for one delivered.

I don't think the trigger pull is easily addressed, as the lever ratio increases by 300%. thus the break is 3x as long. it works, no question; not a deal breaker to be sure, but not desireable either. but I could be wrong. one way to find out.... ;)

JPglee1
07-01-2006, 7:12 PM
. the bottom one is smoother, but I don't know where to get the parts reasonably. the top one works, though. I paid about $8 for one delivered.

)

IMHO the top one is better as it allows the left hand to grasp the mag AND push the release... The bottom one is like an SKS and requires a rearward push.

You could make a mag catch like that from some square stock, square tubing and a spring....

Thanks for the discussion, I appreciate it. I wanna build a gripless with a modded trigger and see how it is, if it sucks I'll go all the way to SAIGA stuff.

I was just thinking of the ability to swap to a PG in NV or AZ w/out having extra holes in the receiver (for possible future selling/trades and to keep out dirt)

JP

Harbinger
07-01-2006, 7:42 PM
If you weld together a usable trigger and/or guard, I'm sure people here would buy it. Keep that in mind. ;-)

Mike

JPglee1
07-01-2006, 7:49 PM
If you weld together a usable trigger and/or guard, I'm sure people here would buy it. Keep that in mind. ;-)

Mike

Probably, but I don't wanna build/sell em...

I used to sell car parts on the net that I built (http://dstracing.4t.com is my old shadow site) Its OK but I don't wanna do the selling thing again.

I just wanna plant ideas and make y'all come up with different ways to have LEGAL guns!!!

JP