PDA

View Full Version : S&W 1917. what are you opinions on it?

Stormtrooperthunder
11-24-2010, 2:05 AM
I kinda want a wheel gun and since I have a 1911, Id like for it to share ammo.

also a few questions
will it be okay with lead/cast bullets?
do i need the moon clips for it to fire?
how accurate are they?

mls343
11-24-2010, 4:54 AM
I personally like the SW as the frame is a bit smaller then the Colt. I have also found that they are pretty accurate, and using moon clips does make for some pretty quick loading. Interesting, but my Father was cleared to take a PDW when he served in Vietnam and his choice was his S&W 1917. Kind of unusual given the options he had, but for him, he felt it was one weapon that would not fail and he had the confidence in the accuracy - for him anyway.

As for your questions, it will shoot cast bullets no problem.
You do not need moon clips to load it, and they are accurate enough - especially if you ask my Dad. LOL

morrcarr67
11-24-2010, 6:23 AM

also a few questions
how accurate are they?

The S&W M1917 is distinguishable from the Colt M1917 in that the S&W cylinder had a shoulder machined into it to permit rimless .45 ACP cartridges to headspace on the case mouth (as with automatic pistols). The S&W M1917 could thus be used without the half-moon clips, though the empty cases would have to be poked-out manually through the cylinder face, since the extractor star cannot engage the rimless cases.

Based on the info above I would not shot a 1917 without Half or Full Moon clips.

smle-man
11-24-2010, 8:06 AM
SW is now making a modern version of the 1917, if you want a shooter I recommend selecting that one. Original 1917s are getting pricey and the metalurgy in 1917 was not up to the same standards of today. Original 1917s aren't up to a lot of hot .45 rounds.

kendog4570
11-24-2010, 8:47 AM
Based on the info above I would not shot a 1917 without Half or Full Moon clips.

Wikipedia fail.
I have a 1917 Colt and it has 45 ACP chambers just like the S&W. Shoots 45 ACP,with or without half or full moon clips, and 45 Auto Rim. I beleive this was part of the military specification. Some early commercial guns may not have had that feature.

Mac Attack
11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't have a real S&W 1917 but I have a repro model which is the 22-4 but without the lanyard ring. I thoroughly enjoy shooting my .45 ACP revolver with full moon clips and occasionally .45 AR. It's nice to be able to shoot my 1911 and 22-4 and only have to worry about one type of ammo.

S&W makes a repro 1917 which they call their Classic series. I have handled an original Colt and S&W 1917 along with a repro and they are almost exact. If you buy one I highly recommend the loading/demooner tool.

To answer your questions -
will it be okay with lead/cast bullets? Yes, I only use cast bullets and they shoot fine.
do i need the moon clips for it to fire? No. You could use .45 Auto Rim rounds but Moonclips make it much easier to load and shoot and .45 AR is hard to find. You can shoot without Moonclips but you will have a heck of a time getting the spent cases out. Ask me how I know :)
how accurate are they? I think my revolver is much more capable than I am. However, I am able to put all of my shots in the black at 25 yards on DA.

I was just like you and got tired of shooting autos and decided to purchase a revolver. I had shot several S&W 625's and 1917's and found them to be easy and fun to shoot so I bought one. I could not find one for a good price locally and ended up purchasing mine from Gunbroker for approx. $680 shipped and drosed.

Too Slow
11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I own one and the above answers are accurate. You can get a modern verion of the half moon clip that holds all the rounds. I think a package with 4 or 5 of them was like $6. You want that as getting the rounds out without isn't easy. Mine is a good shooter and I personally love the way the gun feels in my hand. The only issue I have is the bluing in only about 85% as someone thought cleaning with an abrasive was a good idea. I purchase mine for $700 at an internet auction. The new ones are really nice, but go for about $1100-$1200 new.

smle-man
11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I shoot AR through my M1937 Brazilian contract SW and avoid the whole clip thing.

dfletcher
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM

also a few questions
how accurate are they?

For some reason both my Smith & Colt like heavier bullets (265 grains) and shoot to point of aim, I use a 6 o'clock hold and the heavier bullets hit higher and that works well. At 15 yards 6 rounds can be covered by half a business card if I do my part. I use Blue Dot and HS6 powder, I suppose 700X and Win231 will work fine also.

Penn Bullets has a good selection and can size them from .451 to .455 IIRC. Good guy to deal with. I use the 45 AR case, Starline brass. If you use clips or RIMZ be certain to get the correct version - older 45 ACP revolvers are different from the new versions.

smle-man
11-24-2010, 11:14 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff237/smle-man/newrevolvers004.jpg

Mine with some of my auto rim reloads.