PDA

View Full Version : Removing buffer tube from A2 stock

Paradiddle
06-30-2006, 4:37 PM
I haven't even tried to do this, but I'm curious if there is a trick to removing the buffer tube from an already assembled stock? I need to move it to another stock.

Thanks - I'll look in my AR book when I get home, but I'm stuck at work and kinda board...

Jeff

stevie
06-30-2006, 8:14 PM
The buffer tube is attached to the lower reciever via threads. The stock is only held in place to the buffer tube via the screw in the rear of the stock. So if you are using the same lower and only want to replace the A1/A2 fixed stock should not be a problem.

catsupsam
06-30-2006, 8:54 PM
Maybe Paradiddle is asking how do you remove the receiver extension tube from the A2 stock.
I swapped out my telescoping stock for an A2 just for fun.
When I switched back, I couldn't figure out how to remove the threaded tube from the stock.

It seems that once you screw that tube on, it's not removable?

Taz77
07-01-2006, 6:00 AM
I haven't even tried to do this, but I'm curious if there is a trick to removing the buffer tube from an already assembled stock?

Jeff

yep, you use a wrench at the rear of the buffer tube.

catsupsam
07-01-2006, 7:29 PM
I'm talking about removing the tube from an A2 stock when the stock is already off the rifle.

I now just have the A2 stock with the tube screwed on by the "butt" screw.

The other end is the threaded end of the tube. Am I not seeing something that should be obvious?

Thanks, Sam

catsupsam
07-01-2006, 8:08 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/catsupsam/IMG_0477.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/catsupsam/IMG_0478.jpg

Ok, I have the stock, the tube and the screw that's holding the tube inside the stock. I don't see where I can wrench the threaded end.

blacklisted
07-01-2006, 8:16 PM
Just remove the screw, and then pull the tube out. The screw may be tight (mine came with a bit of paint or something on the threads), but it will come out. Use a large screwdriver. You don't turn the threaded end. I don't see how you got the thing off (and on) with the stock attached.

onley11
07-01-2006, 9:40 PM
Having an armorers wrench is good for anyone with an AR, it also has the proper screwdriver for the stock. If you don't have a BIG flat head, go to harbor freight and get one. I've seen a few guys booger up that screw, and then you get to start grinding on the butt plate to cut a new screw slot. It'll cost you a new buttplate.:)

Also, if you are just mechanically inept, don't put together guns, even the AR with it's Legolike interchangablilty. Some people can write code or understand legalese, and some can turn a wrench. A chosen few can do all three. (sorry, if I say his name, I'll just be kissing too much but t.)

There are things you can f up on these little darlings that could give you a bad day. Not many, but they are there (including not pinning some things, or attaching others, and getting to meet your local deputy da:mad: )

catsupsam
07-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Here's the dealio. I already built up my AR and have shot it. I'm real happy with it. For fun, I took off my collisible stock and installed the A2. I had to tighten the buttstock screw hard to make it fit onto the lower.

I switched back and now my tube is stuck and when I turn the buttstock screw the buffer tube turns with it. I'm sure it had "red?'' loctite on the threads.

I'm sorry if I'm still not making myself clear on my problem. I know how to use a screw driver and I do have the AR wrench. The tube will just stay where it is. If I decide to install it again, it'll work.

Army
07-01-2006, 10:57 PM
After torquing the buffer tube in, the standard buffer tubes are held securely by dynamic tension of the buttstock screw pulling the buffer tube rearward while seating the stock forward into the receiver.

The buffer tube is only screwed into the receiver far enough to capture the buffer detent...there need be no Loc-Tite on the receiver threads.

Remove the buttstock screw (upper screw. Bottom screw is for the sling swivel only), slide off buttstock from buffer tube...watch for the tube extension, it should fall out at this time. Using the armorers wrench, or a crescent wrench on the "bump" on the rear of the tube, unscrew the tube in the normal direction. Keep a hand or cloth over the buffer detent, or it and the spring will pop out and fly quite a distance. Reassemble in the reverse, but do not screw in the tube so far as to hinder the up/down movement of the buffer detent, but just enough to capture it.

The collapsing stock has been slotted for a key plate that substitutes for the front end of the standard stock. The the keyway is to force vertical alignment of the shorter buffer tube necessary for the C.stock, as the tube has a machined rail for the adjustment assembly.

Great care must be used when installing either stock, so as to NOT squish the rear take-down pin detent spring that will emerge from the lower receiver when the stock is removed.

catsupsam
07-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks, for all your responses.
Yes, I'm learning, so no big lost. That's why I posted, to understand what I did.
I will try your suggestions.
Sam