PDA

View Full Version : Update of AW Guide for LEO?

Dump1567
06-30-2006, 2:09 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed or beaten to death (can't read everything you guys post);) , but with the current OLL situation, is the DOJ under any obligation to update their 2001 AW guide for LEO? Seems like most LEO's would be working off old (wrong) info. if using the AW guide for reference.

I'll go back into my cave and just read your replies.
http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_peep.gif

crzpete
06-30-2006, 2:34 PM
It wouldnít matter cuz LEO donít have the time to read, they just act on something that may look like contraband and then do the proses

bwiese
06-30-2006, 3:00 PM
If the DOJ lists, they will have to do a new 'comic book'.

homerm14
06-30-2006, 3:35 PM
:D Yes, all of us LEO's are complete morons!

Dump1567
06-30-2006, 3:49 PM
If the DOJ lists, they will have to do a new 'comic book'.

Doesn't the Category 2 list sorta imply that all AR & AK series weapons are AW's (page 56 & 57 of booklet)?

bwiese
06-30-2006, 4:05 PM
Doesn't the Category 2 list sorta imply that all AR & AK series weapons are AW's (page 56 & 57 of booklet)?

Yes. But Harrott threw the concept of generally assumable series membership out the window. It's no longer a series member unless named by specific make and model first.

Dump1567
06-30-2006, 4:43 PM
Yes. But Harrott threw the concept of generally assumable series membership out the window. It's no longer a series member unless named by specific make and model first.

Hence the need to update the wording of the text.;)

My point being, if you have LEO contact while in possession of an OLL, and the LEO uses his trusty AW Guide without knowing about Harrott, he's basing his discissions based on outdated info.

Crazed_SS
06-30-2006, 6:15 PM
Hence the need to update the wording of the text.;)

My point being, if you have LEO contact while in possession of an OLL, and the LEO uses his trusty AW Guide without knowing about Harrott, he's basing his discissions based on outdated info.

Yup.. cops are like that. I know because I'm an automotive guy and used to be into import cars. Luckily I outgrew that and have my Camaro now. When cops would pop the hood of my Sentra, they'd see the big silver cold-air intake and cone filter and go nuts telling me how it's illegal. Then I'd point that the intake is CARB certified and they'd be forced to let me go.. I could tell that they still wanted to bust me for something though.

The thing about OLLs is there's no stamp on them saying "this is legal!" like there is on CA approved engine modifications..
Point is.. if a cop finds something that "looks" illegal, they will flip out and you will have a hell of a time proving it's not illegal.

MotoGuy
06-30-2006, 6:20 PM
Even if the AW guide was updated OLL would not be in it, because they are not assult weapons... at least not yet.

Dump1567
06-30-2006, 7:24 PM
Even if the AW guide was updated OLL would not be in it, because they are not assult weapons... at least not yet.

True. My point being that the way the below section is worded, it makes it sound as if all AR & AK are illegal regardless of features. You think the DOJ could at least remove this from their website.

CATEGORY 2
AK and AR-15 Series Weapons (Kasler v. Lockyer)
This California Supreme Court decision took effect on August 16, 2000. Under this decision, any firearm of minor variation of the AK or AR-15 type (i.e., series weapon), regardless of the manufacturer, is a Category 2 (Kasler v. Lockyer) assault weapon under the original Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989. All AK and AR-15 series weapons had to be possessed before August 16, 2000 and must have been registered on or before January 23, 2001. The Department of Justice is required to identify these series weapons and includes in this publication a listing of identified AK and AR-15 series weapons.

It is important to note that removal of a firearmís characteristics does not affect its status as a Category 2 assault weapon. A Category 2 assault weapon is still an assault weapon even if it has no Category 3 (SB 23 - generic characteristics) features.

Category 2 assault weapons may be of any caliber, including .22 caliber rimfire.

AK Series Weapons
The following pages show markings and illustrations of AK series weapons subsequently identified as Roberti-Roos assault weapons as a result of the California Supreme Courtís ruling in Kasler v. Lockyer on August 16, 2000. Listed weapons were required to be purchased on or before August 16, 2000 and registered as assault weapons on or before January 23, 2001, with the exception of original Category 1 (Roberti-Roos) assault weapons, which were required to be registered on or before March 31, 1992. Category 1 weapon models on the list are noted with asterisks.

The markings on each of these firearms can usually be found on the receiver. In some cases, the markings appear on the trundle (between the barrel and the receiver).

Caliber has no bearing on a weaponís status as a series weapon and should be disregarded when making an identification. For example, a ROMAK AK-47 is a series weapon whether it is in .223 cal, .308 cal, or 7.62 X 39 mm.

The makes and models provided in this guide include those which the Department of Justice was able to locate prior to printing this booklet. It is probable that some series weapons unknown to the Department of Justice are in circulation. If you encounter a suspected series weapon that is not specifically identified in this booklet, please contact the Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887 for identification of that weapon. Additional assault weapon models as they are identified will be included in future versions of this guide and will be posted on our website at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide/.

That's it. I'm going back to the cave now. http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_peep.gif

swift
06-30-2006, 8:55 PM
of course we DROS'd and carry copy of our paperwork. How could our firearms be illegal if they comply with the features provision and we can prove we acquired them properly?