View Full Version : Long term C&R storage

11-23-2010, 2:08 PM
I recall a thread on here some time back (which I can't find - I have looked) whihc listed a tried and proven method of long term storage for rifles. Like 5 years plus. Anyone remember this or have any other proven ideas? I want to be able to put some in a box in the loft and leave em there where there is no temptation to sell or use for a while

11-23-2010, 4:19 PM
Just did some research and found things called ZCORR bags which are used by the military. My worry about using these specific things is that milsrup rifles depend upon the wood not being dried out and warping. Cosmoline stopped that happening. Anyone got any experience with these Zcorr things? is that something I have to worry about?

11-23-2010, 4:54 PM
If it was me, I wouldn't reinvent the wheel.

The number of 50 to 100+ year old rifles still around thanks to that stuff speaks volumes.

11-23-2010, 6:55 PM
Exactly.but my question is if I rust veto/cosmoline a rifle, what do I store it in which isn't going to promote condensation or attrcat moisture. I'm looking for a 5 year + storage here.

11-23-2010, 8:18 PM
RIG or Eezox, and then http://www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html

11-23-2010, 9:21 PM
So there is NO need to use cosmoline if using these bags? Same question applies re the use of Cosmoline, or rather the lack of using it. Is there a worry in using these bags that the wood on milsurps might dry out over a period fof 5 - 10 years if not treated beforehand, and if treated does cosmo or linseed affect the way these bags work?

11-24-2010, 8:46 AM
I have had some in polybags for 3+ years so far no troubles. Try to not overthink things. You can always check them every so often if you are worried. However I do not think you will have any troubles.