PDA

View Full Version : Weird Mosin markings, ideas sought...

John Browning
11-23-2010, 2:45 PM
I just used my C&R for the first time to buy two Mosins from J&G Sales. I got a 1944 Izzy and a 1937 Izzy. Both are in like new shape, have excellent bores, tight muzzles with original crowns and I couldn't be happier. The 1937 is the original barrel/reciever combo, and it has some strange markings I don't recognize after going to several websites and hitting up a few of my Mosin books.

It reads AP3-4, with that being struck through and only seems to have the serial number 114. It is a 1937 Izzy receiver w/ the original 1937 barrel. I haven't seen this before, any ideas? I'm wondering if this has something to do with '37 being the change to the round receiver and maybe this was some kind of test rifle? What do you all think?

Picture below. Until I hear alternate theories, I'll just assume that AP3-4 meant for personal use of The Boss only.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/scobun/811.jpg

Ergo the Qualmed
11-23-2010, 2:55 PM
AP3-4 looks to me like cyrillic. ДРЗ-4 = DRZ-4 in English. Maybe that will help you.

mosinnagantm9130
11-23-2010, 2:57 PM
It looks like it was re-numbered after it's refurb. The "114" is struck over the refurb mark.

You should post this on 7.62x54r.net, see what they have to say about it.

John Browning
11-23-2010, 3:32 PM
AP3-4 looks to me like cyrillic. ДРЗ-4 = DRZ-4 in English. Maybe that will help you.

It means it must be the 4th 91/30 belonging to Dr Zhivago. :) Thanks for the help, that is a heck of a lot more cyrillic than I can figure out. I'll put it up on 7.62x54R.net and see what I can find out.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I know jack about this marking.

gorblimey
11-23-2010, 8:58 PM
If I were to guess, I'd say the 'A' is a poorly struck A rather than a D, judging by the height of the horizontal over the lower tip of the left "leg."

Ergo the Qualmed
11-24-2010, 12:00 PM
If I were to guess, I'd say the 'A' is a poorly struck A rather than a D, judging by the height of the horizontal over the lower tip of the left "leg."

hard to tell; I thought the left leg had a "foot" going to the left, and the top looked a bit squared off. Though my Russian skills aren't that great; Я изучаю русского в университете, и Я знаю русскии язык плохо. lol