PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rust off the O/U shotgun

ryan0320
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I just got o/u shotgun that was on the shelf for a while.
It got a little of rust on the extractor part.
How can I clean these?
I don't want to send to the gun shop because they said it would take few weeks..
Thanks for helps

CSACANNONEER
11-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Just the other day, someone posted something about oil and light rubbing with a nickel. Hopefully, either you can find their post or, they'll repeat it here.

flyer898
11-23-2010, 1:07 PM
There are a number of things one might do. If it is minor rust some fine steel wool and BreakFree should do the trick. For heavier rust I have had good luck with Brownell's Ospho Blue, followed by fine steel wool and BreakFree.

smle-man
11-23-2010, 6:37 PM
Please don't use steel wool! Put a drop of light oil on the rust spot and then rub the rust gently with the edge of a nickel coin. The nickel will remove the rust and leave the finish unmarred around the rust spot.

b00gym4n
12-05-2010, 9:10 AM
The 5 cent nickel edge? This would work???

Eat Dirt
12-05-2010, 9:20 AM
Hold on to the nickel .............

Here's another idea ................
I got ahold of a bronze cleaning pad from tipton

Called : Bright Metal Cleaning Pad .# 439502

The thing worked Great for getting the light surface rust off
Just applied some Hoppes to it and glenty did the rub
Did Not hurt the finish

supersonic
12-07-2010, 4:23 PM
Nickel trick works like magick (pun intended) every time!:D

Sydwaiz
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Old school guys like my dad would simply use 000 or 0000 steel wool and WD-40. It really does work on light rust spots like flash rust on a blued shotgun.

glane5910
12-09-2010, 2:54 PM
I just got o/u shotgun that was on the shelf for a while.
It got a little of rust on the extractor part.
How can I clean these?
I don't want to send to the gun shop because they said it would take few weeks..
Thanks for helps

If you don't get into the pores, the rust will "seed" and grow again under right conditions. Get some muriatic acid at a hardware store,(or some bluing remover) wet a few q-tips with it. Rub on part needing rust removal, keeping it away from bluing you don't want to remove, remember, bluing is basically just a form of rust. Best would be to remove the extactor and soak in the acid. After finishing, rinse with water, dry and oil.

straykiller
12-09-2010, 4:09 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4874172&postcount=7

check this out may be useful