PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Looking a good gunsmith.

Lockon
11-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Hey guys I've just recently purchased a Mosin and plan on turning it into an awesome sniper. I'd like to have a gunsmith take a look at it and fix any problems with the rifle. Would anyone happen to know a good gunsmith around Northern California that they could recommend. I'd appreciate it alot. Thanks in advance.

Captain Cogle
11-22-2010, 11:03 PM
No such thing. If the gun smith is willing to sporterize a military weapon then he is not a good gun smith.

freonr22
11-22-2010, 11:04 PM
maybe he wants to customize it, not sporter it :)

NaughtyMonkey
11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
No such thing. If the gun smith is willing to sporterize a military weapon then he is not a good gun smith.

+1

or you going to make a repo sniper, (make it look like a mosin-sniper)

FS00008
11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey guys I've just recently purchased a Mosin and plan on turning it into an awesome sniper. I'd like to have a gunsmith take a look at it and fix any problems with the rifle. Would anyone happen to know a good gunsmith around Northern California that they could recommend. I'd appreciate it alot. Thanks in advance.

Is it already bubba'd? Where in NorCal? What exactly do you want to do?

Lockon
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi guys thanks for the response. I've read through a few of the Mosin threads here and I know there are alot of purists. And I mean this with no disrespect but I'd like to modify my rifle to my own preference. Im not asking if anyone knows a gunsmith to mod it for me. But just to take a look at my rifle check for things I wouldn't see or know about.

Lockon
11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Is it already bubba'd? Where in NorCal? What exactly do you want to do?

Yea I've already bubba'd it a bit by adding a 3 rail with scope where the Iron sights use to lay. Im around San Francisco. The main thing is doing a overall look on the rifle and make sure the my bolt extractor is not defective and have a look at the barrel.

NaughtyMonkey
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Yea I've already bubba'd it a bit by adding a 3 rail with scope where the Iron sights use to lay. Im around San Francisco. The main thing is doing a overall look on the rifle and make sure the my bolt extractor is not defective and have a look at the barrel.

:( Sad to hear about the bubba done to the poor rifle. :(

G-Man WC
11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
All you need is a go/no go gauge to check for head space. Shoot a few rounds and if you have trouble opening the bolt stop. You have pressure issues or lacquer off of the surplus rounds causing you greaf.
A smith is going to charge you more than you spent on the rifle. Shoot it as it was intended with open sights is what I do with my tribe of Mosins.
We need a norcal mosin day at a range.
-g

Lockon
11-22-2010, 11:51 PM
All you need is a go/no go gauge to check for head space. Shoot a few rounds and if you have trouble opening the bolt stop. You have pressure issues or lacquer off of the surplus rounds causing you greaf.
A smith is going to charge you more than you spent on the rifle. Shoot it as it was intended with open sights is what I do with my tribe of Mosins.
We need a norcal mosin day at a range.
-g

Thanks I appreciate the advice. And I would all for a Nor Cal Mosin day. And I'll be sure to wear my flame retardant underwear if it ever happens. And actually whats happening is I load 1 round and am not able to get the bolt all the way down. Rather than jam down on it. I thought I'd have it looked at. Thanks again!

Captain Cogle
11-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Hi guys thanks for the response. I've read through a few of the Mosin threads here and I know there are alot of purists. And I mean this with no disrespect but I'd like to modify my rifle to my own preference. Im not asking if anyone knows a gunsmith to mod it for me. But just to take a look at my rifle check for things I wouldn't see or know about.

Then you aren't really interested in C&R guns. Perhaps this area would be more you're preference. You are interested in modern rifles. Well, thats what those are.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Lockon
11-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Then you aren't really interested in C&R guns. Perhaps this area would be more you're preference. You are interested in modern rifles. Well, thats what those are.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Thanks. Sorry Im not here to cause any trouble with any of you guys I just needed a bit of advice. I thought this would be better than the other threads.

mosinnagantm9130
11-23-2010, 12:21 AM
And actually whats happening is I load 1 round and am not able to get the bolt all the way down. Rather than jam down on it. I thought I'd have it looked at. Thanks again!

Forcing the bolt closed is not a good thing, it needs a headspace check.

Kestryll
11-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Then you aren't really interested in C&R guns. Perhaps this area would be more you're preference. You are interested in modern rifles.

Here's a thought, shut up and let him do what he wants with HIS rifle.
If you think he's altering it in a way you don't like don't click on the thread or reply to it.

Novel isn't it?

I do not recall asking for your assistance in telling people where they could post, I have staff for that.

tpuig
11-23-2010, 1:29 AM
Welcome to CalGuns. You've got a fun rifle. I'd suggest taking it to Tabor's in San Bruno, which is probably the closest to you. Then take it to the range and plink with it a bit before making any changes. Have fun. Hope this helps.

Captain Cogle
11-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Here's a thought, shut up and let him do what he wants with HIS rifle.
If you think he's altering it in a way you don't like don't click on the thread or reply to it.

Novel isn't it?

I do not recall asking for your assistance in telling people where they could post, I have staff for that.

No one is telling him what he can or cant do with is rifle. Point where I said that directly because I did not say that.

Novel only in that you are putting words I did not say in my mouth and making accusations that are un-true.

He is not interested in C&R guns. This is you're forum is this or is this not the C&R area? A C&R gun is not a modified modernized gun. Even law recognizes that fact.

Whats more is I NEVER told the guy where he can and cant post. I made a suggestion. Shut up if you cant decipher the difference between opinion, suggestion and bullying.

So stop twisting what I say and turning my inflection in to what you would want it to be for no reason other than to insult me.

Now that I have spoken to you, in the same manner that you have spoken to me one can see where this is going to end. I wont be replying to this thread again.

emcon5
11-23-2010, 10:39 AM
A C&R gun is not a modified modernized gun. Even law recognizes that fact. No it doesn't. An administrative ruling by ATF says that.

The law absolutely does not say anything about "Original configuration", or modifying a C&R revoking it's status as such.

Flyin Brian
11-23-2010, 10:45 AM
:popcorn:

Noonanda
11-23-2010, 10:52 AM
No it doesn't. An administrative ruling by ATF says that.

The law absolutely does not say anything about "Original configuration", or modifying a C&R revoking it's status as such.

well the "administrative ruling" to that law does not let me use my C&R license to buy a rifle that has been sporterized or is not otherwise in original configuration, I know some people ignore this rule but they are rolling their own dice when gambling with the ATF.

emcon5
11-23-2010, 1:44 PM
well the "administrative ruling" to that law does not let me use my C&R license to buy a rifle that has been sporterized or is not otherwise in original configuration, I know some people ignore this rule but they are rolling their own dice when gambling with the ATF.Agreed.

I do wonder though if anyone has ever been prosecuted for this, and if so, for what.

Noonanda
11-23-2010, 3:16 PM
Agreed.

I do wonder though if anyone has ever been prosecuted for this, and if so, for what.

its probably one of those laws that they add on to other charges similar to 922, but Im not gonna be the test case to see if it is just a "ruling" or is part of the law. Until we can get crap like this overturned I treat it as law, especially since I have a C&R license.

Noonanda
11-23-2010, 3:23 PM
Also to the original poster, you know the M-91/30 already has "awesome sniper" variants out there called the PU, PE, and PEM, as well as the VZ-54/91 and M-28/76 right? no modifications required, no rifles modified.

now if you are taking a barreled reciever and trying to make it into something shootable good luck. I just got a M-39 barreled reciever that is an antique that might get converted into a M-39 SOV or something along those lines but I would not do this to a complete or otherwise unaltered rifle.