PDA

View Full Version : question on safe with combination dial and key?

Saym14
11-22-2010, 9:25 PM
•Commercial grade group 2 combination lock with a key locking dial

does this mean the key can override the combination dial ? so if one has the key they can merely open the safe? that seems like it would be easy to pick?

Casual_Shooter
11-22-2010, 9:25 PM
It means the key locks the dial so it can't be turned.

Saym14
11-22-2010, 9:39 PM
thanks - found this too after further google.

Locks for Gun Safes
Mechanical Dial (a.k.a. Combination) and Key-Locking-Dial Locks
Many gun safes arrive in the United States with a combination lock already installed. My personal opinion is that these locks are "cheap". Although, they will work fine for most customers, some of them will become sticky or difficult to reset. That is why I subsidize the electronic lock version: I want you to have a lock that you can use without trouble.
Mechanical locks (also known as combos, combinations, dials, etc.) are the traditional types of locks that you have to spin to lock and unlock. Their main advantage is that, if they are of good quality, they can last forever.
Dials and key-locking-dials are the same thing, except that key-locking-dials also feature a key that can be inserted in the dial to lock it an prevent it from spinning. This feature is important to those who want to require two people to be present when the safe is opened. For gun safe owners, the advantage is to have a dial that is not a "cheap import" (the lock inside might still remain the same, though). I'm not against imported things, obviously, I just have had a lot of struggles with factory mounted mechanical locks that I am trying to steer you away from them.

The color of the dial mounted on the gun safes is the brass version. That is because it looks far better on a black or green gun safe than the chrome color version.

Mechanical locks are just as secure as electronic locks. Behind the door it is the same relocker mechanism and hard mounting plate that protect the lock for both lock types. Destroying the dial has the same practical outcome as destroying a keypad: you can't get in the safe.

If something goes wrong with a mechanical lock the problem is usually internal and the safe requires either some manipulation or drilling. Let me explain. If the pin that secures the dial to the lock comes undone, you will eventually spin for nothing. If one of the wheels slips a bit, your combination will be slightly changed and you might be able to recover it through trial and error (this behaviour usually goes away if, after opening the lock, you change the combination numbers). If one of the wheels is dislodged as a result of attempts to change the combination by an unexperienced user, the lock may be broken and will require drilling.
Things go wrong with electronic locks too and the reliability of both electronic and mechanical locks is, in my experience, similar.