PDA

View Full Version : Heads-up on M1 Carbine Sale

Datamancer
11-22-2010, 12:45 PM
I just popped into Big 5 and was checking out a few of their rifles, including 2 M1 carbines. One was a modern manufacture but the other was an older one with a Century Arms Int. import mark on it (sorry I can't get more specific than that, I don't know M1 markings), but the guy told me that on Black Friday, they'll be on sale for $699 down from $899-$999. A bit out of my budget at the moment, but I thought you'd all like to know. There was also a cosmoline-soaked SKS there that will be on sale for $379 (still sounds a bit high to me though)

-~D~-

NaughtyMonkey
11-22-2010, 9:53 PM
No offense but your a little late. There has already been at least two threads on this subject, and most of the Big 5 Carbines are crappy and over priced.

But it was the thought that counts.

7.62x54R
11-23-2010, 12:52 AM
i wouldnt buy one from big five. Id rather wait for cmp or buy private party.

saber
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Except CMP is all out of M1 carbines last time I checked unless you go the auction route.

Haggar85
11-23-2010, 3:19 PM
i would pass on the sks too, seems a bit steep. 300 may be but for what big 5 sells 379 just seems too pricey. the M1 carbines that are vintage might have some new or foreign parts in them, just word to the wise.

jackandblood
11-23-2010, 4:10 PM
Educate me please. I handled one of their M1 Carbines today. It definitely felt like it went through some serious action, which I think is kinda cool. The pitting, discoloration, re-laquered after re-laquered stock felt like you know, connecting with history. Beat the crap out of any stale museum exhibit you look at from behind the velvet rope. Plus it's as handy as anything modern i've ever held. I'd use it for any practical purpose in a pinch.

To summarize, I was grinning like a kid with his first bb gun.. I kinda really want one. What should one look for to determine if it would make a good collectors piece?

microwaveguy
11-24-2010, 5:37 AM
I would say of the mfg. that they might have available that Rockola is the most collectible. Now my personal preference as a second choice is an IBM.

The way to check the muzzle wear is to have a gauge or 30-06 round and measure the depth that it will enter the bore. But generally the less it enters the better. Other features that could be desirable are a push button safety ,early sights, and a barrel band without the bayonet lug. The original finish on these was tung oil or boiled linseed oil so the re-laquered is not original.

If you have a friend that knows anything about carbines it might be best to bring them along.

jackandblood
11-24-2010, 8:40 AM
im not too up to snuff on wood finishes. I think the finish resmebles more of a mass produced (wartime) tung oil/linseed. It was uneven in consistency and had a tacky, somewhat dirty feel to it. Like if you pressed hard enough on it with your fingernail i think you could leave a slight imprint. what did the early sights look like?

metalliman545
11-24-2010, 9:37 AM
Educate me please. I handled one of their M1 Carbines today. It definitely felt like it went through some serious action, which I think is kinda cool. The pitting, discoloration, re-laquered after re-laquered stock felt like you know, connecting with history. Beat the crap out of any stale museum exhibit you look at from behind the velvet rope. Plus it's as handy as anything modern i've ever held. I'd use it for any practical purpose in a pinch.

To summarize, I was grinning like a kid with his first bb gun.. I kinda really want one. What should one look for to determine if it would make a good collectors piece?

its not bad to buy a beater rifle, just not for the price that they are asking for them.

microwaveguy
11-24-2010, 4:25 PM
Well I stopped by my local Big 5 today and asked the manager and he just smiled and said they lasted less than a week.:eek:Then he said the other two stores semi-close to me where also out. I just went to really see the condition and what your getting for $899 plus tax and transfer paperwork.

ledman
11-24-2010, 5:17 PM
This guy has a few GI Carbines and some after market ones.
$600 for a GI Carbine and $350 for the Universal after-market.
If you have a C&R you are GTG.
I have bought rifles from Allan before, and he way under estimates there condition. They are probably way better than he has described them.

http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=37

jackandblood
11-26-2010, 1:36 PM
anyone handle big5's offerings today? Didnt get a chance to stop by there today with all the other craziness going on.

mr.precision
11-29-2010, 6:22 AM
Big 5 in Escondido had three M1's.... a rockola, a winchester and an underwood. The rockola was a mix of blued/parkerized parts, stock very rough, round bolt, welded trigger guard. The winchester was the same with a huge gouge in the stock. Both had what appeared to be bright bores. All had bayonet lugs.
The underwood, however, had a uniform blue finish, a decent stock, milled trigger guard, flat bolt, mirror bright bore, good "bullet test", and a very low production number of 1,369,xxx. Stock had clearly visable cartouches, and all parts that I could see underneath the cosmoline appeared in good condition.
So I bought it for $699. We'll see how it shoots when I pick it up.
Yeah I may have paid too much, however we never see these for sale around here at any of the gun shops.

NaughtyMonkey
11-29-2010, 1:26 PM
Big 5 in Escondido had three M1's.... a rockola, a winchester and an underwood. The rockola was a mix of blued/parkerized parts, stock very rough, round bolt, welded trigger guard. The winchester was the same with a huge gouge in the stock. Both had what appeared to be bright bores. All had bayonet lugs.
The underwood, however, had a uniform blue finish, a decent stock, milled trigger guard, flat bolt, mirror bright bore, good "bullet test", and a very low production number of 1,369,xxx. Stock had clearly visable cartouches, and all parts that I could see underneath the cosmoline appeared in good condition.
So I bought it for $699. We'll see how it shoots when I pick it up.
Yeah I may have paid too much, however we never see these for sale around here at any of the gun shops.

I want to see pictures as well!!!!

Sailormilan2
11-29-2010, 3:58 PM
While I realise the sale is off, I went to the Big 5 here in Bakersfield to see what they had.
A 6 digit Inland(about #860000) with a walnut pot bellied stock whose color matched the handguard very nicely. The recoil plate was marked W. Stock had a nice Standard Products rebuild mark as well as some form of lettering, possibly Arabic, on the right side under the rear corner of the receiver.
Stock also had a deeply stamped number near the butt plate. There was also a large 2 1/2" x 4" patch on the left side where something had been removed leaving deep scratches.
All in all, after some stock work, it would be a nice looking carbine. But not for $999.

mr.precision
11-29-2010, 4:04 PM
I want to see pictures as well!!!!

I will post some pix when I pick it up and clean it up.

NaughtyMonkey
11-29-2010, 4:11 PM
While I realise the sale is off, I went to the Big 5 here in Bakersfield to see what they had.
A 6 digit Inland(about #860000) with a walnut pot bellied stock whose color matched the handguard very nicely. The recoil plate was marked W. Stock had a nice Standard Products rebuild mark as well as some form of lettering, possibly Arabic, on the right side under the rear corner of the receiver.
Stock also had a deeply stamped number near the butt plate. There was also a large 2 1/2" x 4" patch on the left side where something had been removed leaving deep scratches.
All in all, after some stock work, it would be a nice looking carbine. But not for $999.

Which Big 5 did you go to? East Hills? I went to the one by the Valley plaza and they had a nice looking Underwood but it was soaked in cosmoline, it was practically dripping off of the rifle. but as you said not for $999 I think there going to have those rifles sitting up there for a long long time.

Sailormilan2
11-29-2010, 5:55 PM
I went to the one across from the Valley Plaza.

Dr.Mauser
11-29-2010, 9:44 PM
speaking of the CMP does anyone know whats going on with those Garands and Carbines from Korea? I heard rumors they might be sending them back to the Army, and that would mean the CMP would get them.

NaughtyMonkey
11-29-2010, 10:14 PM
speaking of the CMP does anyone know whats going on with those Garands and Carbines from Korea? I heard rumors they might be sending them back to the Army, and that would mean the CMP would get them.

I say its all rumors and nobody knows for sure!

Dr.Mauser
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
that makes my face sad :(

NaughtyMonkey
11-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Me too but we keep hearing different stories. So I don't think anybody knows for sure.

Dr.Mauser
12-01-2010, 1:29 AM
....this made me PUKE!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203568994

SideWinder11
12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I saw a Winchester at a Big 5. Do any of you think it is worth it for $699?

Dr.Mauser
12-01-2010, 1:25 PM
If it looked like the other ones I seen at Big 5, then I'd have to say yes.

Sailormilan2
12-01-2010, 2:16 PM
....this made me PUKE!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203568994

"This rifle might have been sporterised or reblued"? DUH! It is feasable, but it would sure depend on the price.

Dr.Mauser
12-01-2010, 3:43 PM
I would get the gun, park it, then buy a new stock...

SideWinder11
12-01-2010, 9:55 PM
Anyone know why some of the stocks are sanded down on the side?

Dr.Mauser
12-02-2010, 6:16 PM
I was going to ask the same thing...its like that on all the Big 5 M1 stocks....

Agustav
12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Just a guess.... Maybe it's been carried with a sling on the shoulder for a LOOOOONG time? :shrug:

CEDaytonaRydr
12-03-2010, 11:14 AM
The BIg-5 M1s I've seen are awful (carbines and garands). I 2nd the CMP option...

Dr.Mauser
12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I hope the Koreans send theirs back to the Army, then the CMP will get them...speaking of the Army, how many M1's, bot Garands and Carbines do you think the US Military as a whole has stored away still?

Datamancer
12-04-2010, 1:33 PM
The BIg-5 M1s I've seen are awful (carbines and garands). I 2nd the CMP option...

I think the CMP is out of carbines, possibly forever.

-~D~-

CEDaytonaRydr
12-04-2010, 6:02 PM
I think the CMP is out of carbines, possibly forever.

-~D~-

Yeah, but they still have garands. The Big 5 Garands I've seen are rotten.. :eek:

Dr.Mauser
12-05-2010, 7:49 PM
I second that! The story I've told before I'll tell again, last year I saw one at Big 5, took a look at it, and when I opened the compartment in the buttplate dirt fell out on to the ground....it was a disgusting rifle, rusty, pitted, and the stock was REVOLTING!

SVT_Fox
12-14-2010, 7:17 PM
if i hear one more thread about this! holy shti!