PDA

View Full Version : 115gr lead cast from Missouri Bullet

Toy4Rick
11-22-2010, 7:52 AM
Hey gang,

I am looking to purchase my first batch of bullets for our 9mm, PX4 and 92FS. My question is regarding 115gr lead cast bullets from Missouri Bullet. Should I be concerned with leading or feed issues? We target shoot only and intend to keep the load pretty cool. The cost is pretty good considering however I don't want to introduce any issues either.

Thanks in advance
Rick

Cowboy T
11-22-2010, 8:08 AM
This really depends on your gun and your load. For 9mm pressures, I've learned that BHN 15-16 is optimal for "normal" 9mm Para pressures. I use it for my .357 Magnum and "hot" .45 Colt loads between 27K and 30K PSI. You won't have leading problems if the following things are done:

1.) the bullet is sized correctly for your bore,
2.) the bullet hardness is a good match for your load's pressure, and
3.) the bullets are properly lubed.

To cycle the semi-autos reliably, a certain minimum level of pressure is needed. That depends on your gun, so I'd stay within 27K and 30K PSI. See if Missouri Bullet will make your bullets at BHN 15-16 or so. BHN 18 will be a little too hard.

NOTE: One guy does .357 Magnum loads of about 25,000 PSI with BHN 11 and has a tack-driving load with no leading. Therefore, you might also try some BHN 11-12 and see how that goes.

jumpthestack
11-23-2010, 7:03 PM
I've shot about 1k of the .45 acp 230 grn 'softball' LRN bullets with no problems through a M&P45 and 1911.

Longhill
11-24-2010, 7:08 AM
Use "Bluepress" in the promo code to get a 5% discount, this is out of the Dillion Blue Press monthly addy

pdq_wizzard
11-24-2010, 8:11 AM
Size, Speed and Lube. find the right size for your bore keep your FPS under 1150 and as for lube most bullet makers use good lube.

here is a site that can tell you about slugging your bore
http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2007/10/slugging-bore-easy-way_07.html

jimmykan
11-24-2010, 8:29 AM
Size, Speed and Lube. find the right size for your bore keep your FPS under 1150 and as for lube most bullet makers use good lube.

here is a site that can tell you about slugging your bore
http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2007/10/slugging-bore-easy-way_07.html

Here's the thing... the OP wants to shoot 115 grain bullets, and with this weight bullet, some semi-autos need 1150-1200 fps just to cycle the slide reliably (and even broken-in handguns with new or heavier-than-factory recoil and hammer springs).

I buy Missouri cast bullets, but for 9mm, I prefer their 125 grain round nose bullet. I only need to load them to 1050 fps to make a comfortable minor power factor, and since they're going slower, there is less chance of leading.

If you have the tools and material, I also suggest that you slug your barrels.

If you order a decent quantity and don't mind waiting, you can call Missouri Bullet, order the bullets sized 0.001" over the max diameter of your "loosest" barrel, and pre-pay by check or money order, they'll oblige you.

BTW, 0.001" over groove diameter seems to the consensus on what is the ideally sized cast bullet.