PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Ak flat today

Im Broken
11-21-2010, 10:17 PM
i was hoping maybe a fellow calgunner had a bending jig i could borrow for a one time use. im willing to give you my ID or any form of identification in collateral for it. i have a press at work i can use so all i would need is the bending jig. so if anyone is willing it will be a one day thing i promise youll get it back the next day. thanks....

straykiller
11-21-2010, 10:35 PM
im in kerman, dont know how close that is to you but if you want you can stop by and use my press and jig to bend it real quick as long as its the new ak-builder style flat.

Im Broken
11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
im in kerman, dont know how close that is to you but if you want you can stop by and use my press and jig to bend it real quick as long as its the new ak-builder style flat.

its not a AK-BUILDER flat actually its a Tappco one. im in the san fernando valley about 20 minutes from LA. i have no idea where kerman is.

straykiller
11-21-2010, 11:05 PM
its not a AK-BUILDER flat actually its a Tappco one. im in the san fernando valley about 20 minutes from LA. i have no idea where kerman is.

lol ok kerman is right near fresno, so its a ways away from you, i have the new style ak-builder flatand dont think it works with tapco flats

Im Broken
11-21-2010, 11:08 PM
yea that is further than i expected. what would the AKB flat have the Tappco doesnt???

Im Broken
11-21-2010, 11:16 PM
i just noticed that it says it doesnt have the trunnion holes, is this gonna make be a problem

straykiller
11-21-2010, 11:29 PM
the new flats have the pre-bent and stepped rails. i remember reading somewhere the tapco flats do not work with the new ak-builder jig.

Ryan in SD
11-22-2010, 1:19 AM
I have em for sale PM me!

Roccobro
11-22-2010, 9:16 AM
I have em for sale PM me!

^^^this^^^

First, (no offense) I would not loan out a $150 jig to just anyone.

Second, the AKBuilder jig is specific to his highest quality flats. I'd sure hate to (try) and charge someone I just met $150 for a replacement tool by ignoring Curtis's instructions.

As far as
what would the AKB flat have the Tappco doesnt???
The two have similarities, but the AKB flats are best. Cost differential in almost nothing, but quality and consistency of the AKB flats is waaay up there. You just don't see complaints of Curtis's flats being a problem. Or his Center supports. Or his rivets. Or ANY of his stuff like you read about Tapco's.

My only complaint about AKB's stuff is his wait time for e specialty flats is trying me... :D

Justin

Im Broken
11-22-2010, 9:24 AM
I understand the whole barrowing thing. I just don't need a $150 tool I am only going to use once. Maybe ill wait for a build party around my area.

The only reason I bought a Tapco flat is because I got it at the Glendale gun show yesterday for 15 bucks. So I grabbed it. If it doesn't work out I won't feel as bad as wasting 15 bucks as opposed to 30 or whatever.

Im Broken
11-22-2010, 9:27 AM
Double post.

Roccobro
11-22-2010, 9:53 AM
AKB flats are $20 or less.
AKB with trunion holes (http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29823)
without holes (http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29838)
Arms Of America stock AKB stuff (http://armsofamerica.com/ak4774receiverflatandrails.aspx)

If you end up getting an AKB flat, you can stop by and fold it on my stuff for free.

Justin

Wyseguy
11-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Im Broken,
I don't live far from Sylmar, If you want to come by and bend your flat. I have the AK-Builder jig, but I can make it work with a Tapco flat. However; I highly suggest you buy a AK-builder flat, instead.

Im Broken
11-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I appreciate the help you guys are offering me. I didn't expect to get much help let alone having you guys let me use your tools. Ill take your word on the AKB flat. But I might as well work on both. I. Don't see why I can't have2 aks. Lol.

Wyseguy
11-22-2010, 10:52 AM
When you see the difference between the Tapco and AK-Builder flats, you'll know why most everyone here uses the AK-Builder. Don't get me wrong, you can build a nice receiver with a Tapco flat, but you'll have fewer problems with the AK-Builder ones.

mrlonewolf
11-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I have the first gen. AKB bending jig with the upper rail bender that works perfect with the Tapco flats.

If I can make it to CSA's next Build party ( just a few weeks away) you are more than welcome to use it.

Im Broken
11-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I have the first gen. AKB bending jig with the upper rail bender that works perfect with the Tapco flats.

If I can make it to CSA's next Build party ( just a few weeks away) you are more than welcome to use it.

Where is the location of the CSA?

mrlonewolf
11-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Where is the location of the CSA?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=355935