PDA

View Full Version : Saturday shooting with Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD - target picture

Martan
11-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I went out second time with my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD .308
After listening advices from this forum, I used better ammo, Hornady 168gr BTHP Moly. I'm not planning to use Moly, it was box I had from the gunshow. Next time I'll use my first reloads.
The rifle has now new Timney trigger, but still the same old Hogue stock. The new HS stock is still on the way. Shooting was done from the bench with the Harris bipod and Caldwel rear bag.
The group on the upper left is one I shot 5 rounds, the rest is 3 rounds each.
Criticism and advices are welcomed...

These here on this thread were my very first targets: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=358144

http://martan.myphotos.cc/gallery_public/var/calguns/target3.jpg

Scratch705
11-22-2010, 12:05 AM
same 100 yard distance? vast improvement.

Martan
11-22-2010, 12:48 AM
same 100 yard distance? vast improvement.

Hi, thanks, it is the same range, same bench, same 100 yards,
still could be better but not as bad as the first time. I wonder how is the new HS stock and my own reloads going to change my experience next time.

lever
11-22-2010, 7:07 AM
I dont see how you get much better than that upper left grouping. Five rounds and almost one hole. What order did you shoot in?

Mrskylinetou
11-22-2010, 7:43 AM
Can't expect too much better than that. Now just practice off hand since u got bench down

Martan
11-22-2010, 9:18 AM
I dont see how you get much better than that upper left grouping. Five rounds and almost one hole. What order did you shoot in?

Hm, so you guys think this is good enough? Thank you, but I'm not sure, this is my very beginning with the bolt rifle and I've red some guys are punching one hole at 100 yards.
I think my last group here was the one on the center, the lower left is a screw-up, I think I was jerking the trigger too much after long period of aiming.

One question though, when you shoot from the bench with the rear bag, how much do you push the stock into your shoulder? Should I be very firm, or just to rest it there? I need to work on the technique.

keson
11-22-2010, 9:58 AM
Good shooting!

killshot44
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
The center group shows the best shooting discipline. Practice more, shoot five-shot groups, need to eliminate the vertical stringing. That gun will do better.

You should find your handloads will perform much better than factory ammunition. BTW, many find the 168gr hard to get to work, try some 155s and 175s as well.

Martan
11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
The center group shows the best shooting discipline. Practice more, shoot five-shot groups, need to eliminate the vertical stringing. That gun will do better.

You should find your handloads will perform much better than factory ammunition. BTW, many find the 168gr hard to get to work, try some 155s and 175s as well.

Thanks, I actually shot that day 175gr., 168 and 147, where 168 was the clear winner, 175 wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as 168, at least for me.
Good thing practicing is fun :-)
As far as butt stock against the shoulder, what would you say? How much do you push the gun in?

hitman13
11-22-2010, 3:08 PM
Upper left = vertical stringing = watch your breath control.

Good shooting