PDA

View Full Version : i am going to buy a mosin nagant on black friday what should i look out for ?

bob7122
11-21-2010, 2:14 PM
i don't want the carbine and i use to own both the carbine and the longer barrel one. i want it to be very accurate, so what should i steer clear from and what should i look for specifically?:confused::cool2:

bob7122
11-21-2010, 2:27 PM
heard something about pitting ?

johnthomas
11-21-2010, 2:32 PM
http://7.62x54r.net/
More on this site than I can come up with.

mosinnagantm9130
11-21-2010, 2:39 PM
Specifically, this page: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130S.htm

And this one: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinBuy.htm

Milsurp Collector
11-21-2010, 4:00 PM
Get one of these

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/656630.jpg

and bring it with you so you can check the bore.

If you have an Otis cleaning kit like I do,

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/FG200%202230%20Caliber%20Rifle%20Micro%20Kitwhite8 00.jpg

and if the store owner allows it, you can bring the Otis cable, some patches, and the little tube of Otis cleaner in your pocket so you can run a patch through the bore if it is dirty. If you seek accuracy get the one with the best bore (see http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?36736-Bore-condition-scale-pictures) and the best muzzle crown (no nicks or dings) if it hasn't been counterbored. Many Mosins have been counterbored

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/DCounterbore.jpg

so the true crown is inside the barrel and the external crown condition isn't a factor. A counterbored rifle can be just as accurate as one that isn't counterbored.

Remember that a Russian Mosin is a battle rifle, not a target rifle. If you want an accurate Mosin get a Finnish Mosin, also a battle rifle but refined for more accuracy.

Jarhead
11-21-2010, 5:13 PM
a Finn Model 39 is also a Battle Rifle just more accurate than a MN 91/30, counter boring affects collectibles

Interloper
11-21-2010, 5:38 PM
What sort of price range are we talking here?

Vlad 11
11-21-2010, 8:09 PM
^^ what every one here says, especially check the bore. I'd recommend pre-scouting your rifle and asking if they will hold it for you. (plus you can take some pics of it and ask about it here)That maybe harder to do for BF, but id try anything to avoid the potential moshpit that day often can be. Make sure you ask to see all of them as they usually have more in the back stock. The best thing to do is try to find someone who knows Mosins and bring them in with you.

Cowboy T
11-21-2010, 8:43 PM
I have a Mosin-Nagant. Some of the Russian ones can be every bit as accurate as the Finnish reworked ones, and for a lot less money. The key is to know what to look for.

1.) Others have told you to check the bore. They're right. All the bores will be somewhat dark due to their age and use in war, but they should have very sharp rifling. THIS IS KEY. I take a bright LED flashlight and shine it down the bore to have a look. There should be no pitting, either.

2.) If you can, leave the counterbored ones alone and hold out for one without counterboring. Yes, the counterbored ones can be pretty accurate, but if you can get it without for the same price, why not? Also, it's easier to do the next check if it's not counterbored.

3.) Check the muzzle for how tightly it holds a .308 bullet. My method is to take a .308 Winchester round and insert the bullet end into the Mosin-Nagant's muzzle. If you're still seeing greater than 1/8 of an inch of the bullet, you're good. If you get 1/4 inch, that's even better. There are Russian Mosin-Nagants out there that, like the Finnish ones, will shoot .308 bullets very well. Mine has a fairly tight bore.

4.) If you can get one from before WWII, that's a slight plus. That's because the 1940's ones were wartime production and some expected shortcuts were thus taken, especially with finish work. Of course, if you do get a 1940's gun, it will typically shoot well, so if it's at a good price and otherwise looks good, no reason not to go for it.

Prices on a good Russian Mosin-Nagant shouldn't be over $110 for a "round" receiver and not over $130 for a polygonally shaped receiver (the so-called "hex" receiver). There's no functional difference whatsoever between the two, but the polygonal receiver is considered more "collectible".

Note about zeroing: When using the iron sights, any Russian Mosin-Nagant will typically shoot high at shorter distances, like 50-100 yards. That certainly includes the 91/30's. They were really meant for shooting things out between 200 and 800 yards and a good one will do it with aplomb. Mine is a tack-driver and will shoot sub-MOA. To fix the "shooting high" issue at short distances, a little heat-shrink tubing from Radio Shack, cut to the right length, makes a fine fix.

One last thing. buy a recoil pad! These guns do kick like mules.

rojocorsa
11-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Well said, Cowboy T!

bob7122
11-22-2010, 1:39 AM
i want to spend no more than $170

can i do the .308 bullet trick on a counterbored mosin?

CAN YOU CLARIFY HOW TO DO THIS ?:cool2::D the muzzle for how tightly it holds a .308 bullet. "My method is to take a .308 Winchester round and insert the bullet end into the Mosin-Nagant's muzzle. If you're still seeing greater than 1/8 of an inch of the bullet, you're good. If you get 1/4 inch, that's even better. There are Russian Mosin-Nagants out there that, like the Finnish ones, will shoot .308 bullets very well. Mine has a fairly tight bore."

MAYBE A PIC PLEASE

Dolk
11-22-2010, 5:38 AM
3.) Check the muzzle for how tightly it holds a .308 bullet. My method is to take a .308 Winchester round and insert the bullet end into the Mosin-Nagant's muzzle. If you're still seeing greater than 1/8 of an inch of the bullet, you're good. If you get 1/4 inch, that's even better.
Note: If you do this and they see you pull a round (of any size) out and it looks like you might be (even it you are sticking it in the muzzle) loading the rifle, you could be kicked out of the store. Ask if you can do this before pulling the round out of your pocket. You'll probably get a no.

olhunter
11-22-2010, 6:24 AM
No tax and right in your neighborhood too.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=365742

Interloper
11-22-2010, 6:25 AM
You are describing the test for counter bore. Counter bore means an armorer has re cut the crown and some of the rifling, leaving some portion of the muzzle smooth inside. This is done to restore accuracy to a badly worn muzzle. Some people think this decreases value but not to me. I think you are more likely to get accuracy from a counter bore than a ruined crown.
A Mosin bore will be between .311" and .313" so a .308" bullet won't work. The way to check is to take a 7.62x54r round and poke it into the muzzle. if it only goes in a little way there is no counter bore. If there isn't, look at the muzzle/crown carefully. It may be badly worn from improper cleaning.

Cowboy T
11-22-2010, 8:55 AM
Note: If you do this and they see you pull a round (of any size) out and it looks like you might be (even it you are sticking it in the muzzle) loading the rifle, you could be kicked out of the store. Ask if you can do this before pulling the round out of your pocket. You'll probably get a no.

It is a good idea to let them know what it is you want to do and why, before you pull the round out of your pocket, and to do it in front of them. And if they say no...well, then they clearly know what the result of the test must be. I would pass on that store and not buy the gun from them.

I don't see any valid reason for them to say no, though, since you've explained what you're wanting to do and why (it's the muzzle end, not the chamber). I've done this at gun shows on several occasions, and matter of fact, a gun dealer (from whom I eventually bought my Mosin) taught me that little trick.

You don't need to do this test to "test for counterbore". A counterbored muzzle is obvious just by looking (it's been bored half-inch to an inch). No, what this test actually does is give you an idea of the internal diameter of the rifling by examining it at the end of the muzzle. Some are tighter than others. And no, the .308 trick will not work on a counterbored gun. When you see one, you'll immediately understand why.

Interloper's point about a counterbored muzzle being more accurate than a ruined crown is correct, and I would choose a counterbored gun over one with a bad crown any day. However, if you've got good rifling all the way to the muzzle end, like my Mosin has, then so much the better. I do disagree with him when he says you must use a 7.62x54R round (.310" bullet diameter) for the test. The whole point of the .308 test is to see if that gun's rifling is tight. If it is, it'll certainly grab the 7.62x54R's .310" bullet even better.

And you will definitely spend less than $170 if you buy a good Russian M-N. Just go through and inspect as many as you can, from several dealers if possible.