PDA

View Full Version : Pressure from DOJ on Stag Lowers?

diddler
06-28-2006, 9:21 PM
Hey All,

Getting very close to plunking down cash on a few OLL's, in fact I just picked up a nice Stag complete upper last night. I though I was all lined up to get a matching Stag lower and seem to have hit a small snag.

Apparently the FFL (in texas) asked Stag themselves whether it's legal or not shipping the stripped receiver to California, and they "advised" him not to do it. And a week or so ago I was in the Gun Exchange in San Jose, they said they're not touching the Stag lower anymore, something about the DOJ pressuring the manufacturer. I can't figure out what the heck is going on, I certainly don't see any actual legal problem, and it seems that the DOJ doesn't actually have the authority to threaten a manufacturer or an FFL who's selling this lower that meets all requirements in the laws as written. And why only Stag, and not the other dozens of manufacturers?

Of course it won't be the end of the world if I switch to a different lower, but I'd gotten my hopes up a bit on getting a matching set. The FFL is offering a "Superior Arms" lower for $30 more than the Stag. Any thoughts? Avoid the whole mess and find a different OLL or FFL?

Thanks!

Ryan

MotoGuy
06-28-2006, 9:28 PM
Just order the Stag from http://www.coldwarshooters.net/

sac7000
06-28-2006, 9:35 PM
Hey All,

Getting very close to plunking down cash on a few OLL's, in fact I just picked up a nice Stag complete upper last night. I though I was all lined up to get a matching Stag lower and seem to have hit a small snag.

Apparently the FFL (in texas) asked Stag themselves whether it's legal or not shipping the stripped receiver to California, and they "advised" him not to do it. And a week or so ago I was in the Gun Exchange in San Jose, they said they're not touching the Stag lower anymore, something about the DOJ pressuring the manufacturer. I can't figure out what the heck is going on, I certainly don't see any actual legal problem, and it seems that the DOJ doesn't actually have the authority to threaten a manufacturer or an FFL who's selling this lower that meets all requirements in the laws as written. And why only Stag, and not the other dozens of manufacturers?

Of course it won't be the end of the world if I switch to a different lower, but I'd gotten my hopes up a bit on getting a matching set. The FFL is offering a "Superior Arms" lower for $30 more than the Stag. Any thoughts? Avoid the whole mess and find a different OLL or FFL?

Thanks!

Ryan Holmboe

Hmm....very interesting...wonder if this is precursor to the long awaited list being released?

Charliegone
06-28-2006, 9:38 PM
Hmm....very interesting...wonder if this is precursor to the long awaited list being released?

Doubt it. They'd rather stick it to us.

SouthbySouthwest
06-28-2006, 9:41 PM
Too bad the For sale forum is down, but try DD's Ranch for a great price on stags. They have a list of dealers all over CA that they can ship to (just call and ask) and and will only set you back $99 for the receiver plus shipping. There are lots of satisfied calgun.net users that took them up on their offer and can vouch for them.

http://ddsranch.biz/store/index.php?osCsid=5a21935f2cacd756d30dd9a3f605d83d&manufacturers_id=171&osCsid=5a21935f2cacd756d30dd9a3f605d83d

sac7000
06-28-2006, 9:42 PM
Doubt it. They'd rather stick it to us.

Well just the same I am going to start filling out my registration forms and getting them in early to avoid any delays getting back my AW reg cards.

sac7000
06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Too bad the For sale forum is down, but try DD's Ranch for a great price on stags. They have a list of dealers all over CA that they can ship to (just call and ask) and and will only set you back $99 for the receiver plus shipping. There are lots of satisfied calgun.net users that took them up on their offer and can vouch for them.

http://ddsranch.biz/store/index.php?osCsid=5a21935f2cacd756d30dd9a3f605d83d&manufacturers_id=171&osCsid=5a21935f2cacd756d30dd9a3f605d83d

Yup, they are one of the good guys.

blkA4alb
06-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Well just the same I am going to start filling out my registration forms and getting them in early to avoid any delays getting back my AW reg cards.
Uhm...what are you talking about? :confused: :confused: Are you confused about something??

TKo_Productions
06-28-2006, 10:07 PM

What registration forms?

Any registration forms that you presumably have wouldn't be the correct one's anyway.

No registration is comming (immediately anyway) without a long drawnout fight.

ETA: lol....blkA4alb beat me to it.

sac7000
06-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Uhm...what are you talking about? :confused: :confused: Are you confused about something??

This is the form I found but I don't think it is correct.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f55203.pdf

blkA4alb
06-28-2006, 10:33 PM
I really hope your playing around, that is a plant registration form. There is nothing for you to register now. Did you read where it says in nice big bold letters at the top "Registration of Volatile Fruit-Flavor Concentrate Plant"? I think I need a couple more of these..:confused: :confused: :confused:

TKo_Productions
06-28-2006, 10:36 PM

The ATF is a federal agency and has no involvement in the OLL situations.

When and IF a registration period opens up, new and unique registration forms will printed and issued by the California Department of Justice. Prior forms won't apply.

m1371
06-28-2006, 10:43 PM

I'd REALLY like to hear about the response you get back from the BATF after you try to register your OLL as a "Volatile Fruit-Flavor Concentrate Plant". :rolleyes:

That ought to be pretty funny. :p

striker3
06-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Hmmm, what is your favorite flavor of AR-15s? I like the M4 myself. Gives off a nice wild cherry flavor with just a hint of mint when you lick the 203 cutout.

tenpercentfirearms
06-29-2006, 12:09 AM
The FFL is offering a "Superior Arms" lower for $30 more than the Stag.LOL! Don't get me wrong, the president of Superior totally hooked me up and took care of me and I am trying to get his lowers back, but I wouldn't trust anyone who tries to sell you a Superior for $30 more than a Stag. My prices have fluctuated with the times so if I did that to any of you, sorry.

www.coldwarshooters.com is where you want to go.

sac7000
06-29-2006, 5:48 AM
I'd REALLY like to hear about the response you get back from the BATF after you try to register your OLL as a "Volatile Fruit-Flavor Concentrate Plant". :rolleyes:

That ought to be pretty funny. :p

It's worth a try, I heard the guys at BATF are pretty easy going.

sac7000
06-29-2006, 5:57 AM
I really hope your playing around, that is a plant registration form. There is nothing for you to register now. Did you read where it says in nice big bold letters at the top "Registration of Volatile Fruit-Flavor Concentrate Plant"? I think I need a couple more of these..:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hmm...I think I've been given bad information. The link has gone bad, that is not what previously came up at that location. Somebody has moved things around.

WokMaster1
06-29-2006, 6:04 AM
Hmm...I think I've been given bad information. The link has gone bad, that is not what previously came up at that location. Somebody has moved things around.

Could it be the guys at BATF?:D

Sydwaiz
06-29-2006, 6:26 AM

I second DD's, they are here for US! I got a Double Star from them. Their prices are decent but if you look around, you will find cheaper. I just picked up 2 Stags for $95 each, shipped.

I think CA is just pissed off they aren't making any sales tax when we order out of state!

diddler
06-29-2006, 8:58 AM
Thanks for all the information guys, I'll be trying those links.

Where did you find the Stag's for $95 shipped?

Ryan

MikeG22
06-29-2006, 9:03 AM
Where are you at? I'll sell you one FTF at a local shop. I'm in San Diego.

diddler
06-29-2006, 9:09 AM
Where are you at? I'll sell you one FTF at a local shop. I'm in San Diego.

FTF?

And I'm up the the Bay Area, San jose or there-abouts.

Ryan

Dump1567
06-29-2006, 9:13 AM
Just ordered two stripped Receivers from Global Tactical for $210 shipped, which ironically are made by Stag.;)
http://www.globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=292&prd=293

sac7000
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the information guys, I'll be trying those links.

Where did you find the Stag's for $95 shipped?

Ryan

DD's have Superior lowers for 89.95 and are well made, I like my Superiors over my Stags although both are excellent.

http://ddsranch.biz/store/index.php?cPath=20_46_272&osCsid=5a21935f2cacd756d30dd9a3f605d83d

Hunter
06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I think CA is just pissed off they aren't making any sales tax when we order out of state!

What you mean you are not reporting all of your internet purchases on your CA-540 tax return in April and paying the required "sales" (or more technically "use" ) tax on them?:eek:

;)

Sydwaiz
06-29-2006, 1:51 PM
What you mean you are not reporting all of your internet purchases on your CA-540 tax return in April and paying the required "sales" (or more technically "use" ) tax on them?:eek:

;)

Of course I am! It's the 'other' people who aren't that they are PO at! :D

Tunis
11-19-2006, 7:07 AM
Just ordered two stripped Receivers from Global Tactical for $210 shipped, which ironically are made by Stag.;)
http://www.globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=292&prd=293

Do they ship to CA?

xenophobe
11-19-2006, 8:21 AM
And a week or so ago I was in the Gun Exchange in San Jose, they said they're not touching the Stag lower anymore, something about the DOJ pressuring the manufacturer.

We're not touching them for any reason other than Stag does not ship directly to California, so I do not have a distribution channel for them. I still transfer them.

bonjing
11-19-2006, 8:35 AM
wow this is an old thread :eek:

Dump1567
11-19-2006, 9:52 AM
Do they ship to CA?

Yes. They'll let you buy up to 5.

I bought 5 on my last order. This allowed me to only pay one DROS and my dealer gives a price brake for more than one gun from the same company. I think when it was all said and done I paid about $120 per receiver. Not bad when you consider what it would cost to just have one sent in (DROS + dealer fees).

Kestryll
11-19-2006, 10:15 AM
wow this is an old thread :eek:

Ahhhh!!!! Necro-posting!!!

The Return of the Undead Thread!!!

:D :p :D

Tzvia
11-19-2006, 10:51 AM
What registration forms?

Any registration forms that you presumably have wouldn't be the correct one's anyway.

No registration is comming (immediately anyway) without a long drawnout fight.

ETA: lol....blkA4alb beat me to it.

I thought the list would be out right after the elections or never. It looks like never at this point. If there is a 'long drawnout fight' it would take things past December and there will be no list. If the DOJ thinks they can do an 'end run' around me with their nonsense, I will just go gripless and flip them the bird as I change mags.

midnitereaper
11-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Ya DD's Ranch had no problem sending my stripped down stags to a FFL dealer in Cerritos.

762cavalier
11-19-2006, 1:27 PM
Ahhhh!!!! Necro-posting!!!

The Return of the Undead Thread!!!

hahahahahahahhaahhahahahahaha

Zombie posts......and the perfect weapon for zombie posts is an OLL AR:D

NRAhighpowershooter
11-19-2006, 3:03 PM
Aw heck.. you are ALL going to jail........................ in 2 weeks......

glad I have my FAB-10!! heeheheheheheheheheeeeee :D :p

AxonGap
11-20-2006, 10:19 AM
hahahahahahahhaahhahahahahaha

Zombie posts......and the perfect weapon for zombie posts is an OLL AR:D

Ohh nnoooo, zombies! I think it's mutating into another SHTF thread! Or should I say SHTS (Sh__ Hits the Stag)!