PDA

View Full Version : Chromed Nazi P-38 as a shooter?

Stryfe76
11-21-2010, 9:38 AM
I popped into a gun shop to get out of the rain yesterday and while browsing I came across a chromed or nickel plated P-38 Walther. I didn't take it out of the case but did notice some waffenamts intact. Most nazi marked P-38s that I've seen have been in the $700-1500 range. I looked at it for a min thinking if some fool didn't bling it out I would have jumped on it for the $400 asking price.

After searching on calguns and google it turns out that vets used to plate their bring back P-38s. I started thinking about the used 9mm pistols I could buy for around $400 vs an actual Nazi issued P-38 for a range toy instead of as a collectors gun.

I'm more of a 1911 guy so I don't have a lot of DA 9mm experience. How would a P-38 compare to say a 9mm Glock or a Ruger SR9? What markings should I look for to make sure it's worth the $400 tag? Would the plating have any practical benefit like corrosion resistance?

Thanks,
-R

NotEnoughGuns
11-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd buy it and worry about it later.

rojocorsa
11-21-2010, 12:05 PM
:useless:

Stryfe76
11-21-2010, 12:07 PM
:useless:

I didn't buy it yet still researching to see if it's worth $400.

CSACANNONEER
11-21-2010, 12:11 PM
$400 P-38 or a +$500 plastic brick that is like everyone else's? As a plinker, there's only one choice. For a SD gun, well, you already own 1911s so, that should not be a concern.

GUNNTZ
11-21-2010, 12:11 PM
what shop is it at so I can go buy it :) J/K Take it to a quality gun smith and have it stripped and re-blued. You'll have a near collector grade and a fun range shooter.

zinfull
11-21-2010, 2:06 PM
You will never have a near collector grade gun by stripping and bluing. The gun it self is a shooter now. In years to come there maybe an area for bling war pistols. At $400 it is a good price for a shooter. It also depends on how heavy it was buffed, shape of the plating and if it is a matching gun. The early years are better built.

jerry

Rogerbutthead
11-21-2010, 2:17 PM
I bought a few pimped out Radoms as examples of GI souveniers.

I think they look kinda neat.

If you don't want it, I'd be interested.

ivanimal
11-21-2010, 2:26 PM
P-38 is a reliable fun to shoot gun I paid 450 for mine and it is a commercial model. Your piece has much more cool factor than mine. Even though it was refinished. Just think, that finish and that gun are all period correct because that is what they were doing in that period. :D Plus you can shoot the heck out of it without hurting value. Check if it is nickel or chrome tho the nickel requires more love than the harder chrome.

Stryfe76
11-21-2010, 2:31 PM
I think I'll take a closer look at it. The waffenamt was crisp didn't look like they buffed it too much. If there are no mechanical issues and the plating is intact I think I'll buy it and enjoy shooting it. It should be a lot cheaper to feed than my .32 Ortgies and my 1911.

Thanks guys!

Stryfe76
11-23-2010, 8:04 PM
The rain snarled traffic and I barely got to the shop before it closed. It's a BYF 44 with WAa135 stamps. Looked a bit dirty and had what I can best describe as what the scribble from a ball point pen looks like when you try to get the ink flowing on a post it note then you get an indentation on the pad below it on the slide right behind the barrel along with a spot of brown oiled rust about the size of a pencil eraser and one about half that size. Other than the cosmetics the gun appeared to be in good shape but if I'm paying $400 for a blinged out shooter I'd like the bling to be intact I can touchup bluing but not plating so I'm passing on it. I got distracted by the missing plating and forgot to check if it was matching.

It's at Duncan's Gun Works in San Marcos if anyone want's it.