PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Barrel Length for Pistol?

Tommy_J_Trainer
06-28-2006, 5:15 PM
I have a two part question: One, is the S&W Detective Special with a 1.25" barrel legal in this state?
Two, my grandfather (recently deceased in NY state) had a Detective Special. How would I legally go about bringing that weapon into California? Do I have to go through an FFL in NY and have him transfer it to an FFL here? Gees I hope not.
Thanks

TJH

saki302
06-28-2006, 5:26 PM
I beleive there is an exception for bringing in inherited arms. There also is no minimum barrel length for pistols or revolvers. There's a good chance the Det. Spl. is over 50 years old too, which would make it C&R eligible and importable by any FFL.

-Dave

Tommy_J_Trainer
06-28-2006, 5:34 PM
So does that mean I can just go to a California FFL holder and ask them to do up the paperwork for me? BTW what does C&R mean?

Gnote
06-28-2006, 6:12 PM
...BTW what does C&R mean?

Curio and Relic. There is a whole sub-forum here dedicated to it.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Sorry to hear about your grandpa.:(

Mark in Eureka
06-28-2006, 7:00 PM
It falls under a exception to the Gun Control Act of 1968, and a license is not needed. Not counting state laws, you would be able to drive there and just pick it up. Have the lawyer handling the matter send it to you by UPS or Fedex. The lawyer would only have to list "Legal Matters" on the doculmentation. Of course you have to be able to own a weapon in your home state.